How you choose a job?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

How you choose a job?

Post by Samouth »

I have been struggling for years to decide what future career i will be taking in the future as I hold two different degrees. I think it doesn't only happen on me, but it also happens on other people too. If it ever happened on your, please help share with me your experiences and how you decided.

After i finished my high school degree in 2009, i moved to Phnom Penh to continue my higher education. Sadly, i wasn't sure what i wanted to do in the future. Therefore, i didn't pick up any subjects. Then, my older brother suggested me to study English (TEFL) while my uncle recommended me to study civil engineering. I couldn't decide what subject i should study between the two. Finally, i decided to study both subjects at the same time as i got 80% scholarship for my English class. So i paid only $90 per years. Therefore, school fee for both schools was not a big deal. Fortunately, i was fine, studying two different subjects at different universities at the same time. Then, when i was in year three (Senior) for both subjects, i got a job in which i am currently doing. It was a little tricky to study at two subjects and work at the same time. My schedule was always full. I didn't have any spare time during the week as well as the weekend. I work from Monday to Friday morning and afternoon. I study civil engineering in evening and English in the weekend.

So far, i have finished my English class and only 3 more months to go for my civil engineering. I am now writing my thesis for my civil engineering.

Without mentioning about my part time jobs, working as a senior translator and special project assistant is my only full-time job. So far, I have been working as a translator for two years and three months. I was enjoyed with it so much for the first two years. Now, i find it so boring as i only do the same things everyday. I can't ignore the fact that it helped me improving my English and the level of understanding about the community development. However, i want to do something different with more responsibilities. So, some of my friends suggested me to work in construction sector, however, the problem is that i don't like working in construction sector. In addition, i have never been working as a civil engineer. I actually have no confident if i really can do it. That's why, considering working in construction sector is always a hard decision for me. I find myself enjoy working with social-related jobs.

Thanks beforehand for your response and suggestions. All of them are highly appreciated. :beer3:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: How you choose a job?

Post by Soi Dog »

I know quite a few people who got expensive, 4 year University degrees and then never worked one day in any job even remotely related to their major area of study. If you don't like a certain career path, you don't like it...but you won't know for sure if you don't try. I have had many, many different jobs throughout my career because I get bored and want to try something new every so often. There are up sides and down sides to doing that (mostly pay sacrifices), but I have never once regretted quitting any job. For me, life is about new and different experiences.

Follow your own instincts regarding what kind of job and life you want to have and the rest should fall into place as long as you work hard and make smart decisions and always try to improve your abilities.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I keep thinking Samouth that there might be a way you could somehow combine an element of both your theoretical study skills of civil engineering with your English language talent. The few snippets I pick up on the construction sector in Cambodia is that there are Japanese companies involved or other foreign companies. I don't know but maybe somehow there is an avenue in on the admin side rather than the pure engineering side which would allow you to utilise both skills you have. Let's face it for Cambodia to progress in the future mass civil construction is required and likely to offer good long term prospects I would have thought. I'm sure they would value someone with your obvious work ethic and initiative.

My first job overseas was in civil construction and I found it a lot more of an interesting industry than I'd imagined.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i never had a career ( by that if u mean the same occupation you work for 10+ years) but do hold a BFA and a BA degree which looks good on applications

have had many "jobs" over the past 50 years thou

I have always lived where i wanted to and found a way to remain if i liked it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Civil Engineering is a good degree to have and the fact that you have studied English to such a high level should make it possible to get an "internship" with an international company. There is a lot of construction going on here and I would think you could stand a good chance of getting a job. Often international companies have a focus on mentoring promising local graduates. Of course depends on your grades.
Getting your degree is the first stage, and then you start learning to become an engineer and work towards becoming a Registered Chartered Engineer. Bit of info on the institute of Civil Engineers here: http://www.ice.org.uk/ Good luck
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

@Samouth, the best career not depend on the certificate you have. Why some people could successful in their career even they don't have certificate? If you just find a job that fit to your cetificate, I think it'll tie you and you won't go futher. "If you never try, you will never know ",try again and again until you find the one you really like.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful suggestions and advises.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

prahkeitouj wrote:@Samouth, the best career not depend on the certificate you have. Why some people could successful in their career even they don't have certificate? If you just find a job that fit to your cetificate, I think it'll tie you and you won't go futher. "If you never try, you will never know ",try again and again until you find the one you really like.
:thumb: Good answer.
Make yourself a list Samouth - what do you like to do, what are you good at ? What is important for you in a job - money, feeling useful, opportunities to improve ?
Then work out what kind of job will be good for you. If you are motivated then you have something to aim for.
khmer sruol rien
Tourist

Post by khmer sruol rien »

You have a very useful skill set as others have pointed out, but it is up to you to figure out how you want to spend your time. If you do not owe your family or anyone else money for your education, you are more free to make that decision.

I have a degree in finance with a minor in economics but only spent two months working in a related field. Right now I work as a DC power technician installing telecom equipment. I hate my job, but I can always say, 'at least I don't work in an office'.

The point is you should think about finding something that suits you, look for something that suits you but don't stress about not knowing or finding it right away. Your life will move along whether you find that perfect niche or not.

What exactly do you mean by, 'I find myself enjoy working with social-related jobs' ? Do you mean working and talking with people as opposed to drawings and machinery or do you mean you enjoy the type of 'community development' work you are involved in?

It will help you to sort out your thoughts if you write them out like you were trying to explain them to someone else. You won't be able to hide behind vague thoughts. Start writing like you were writing a letter or email to someone who knows you well enough that you can't bullshit them. You should probably do this in the language you can express yourself best.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

khmer sruol rien wrote:You have a very useful skill set as others have pointed out, but it is up to you to figure out how you want to spend your time. If you do not owe your family or anyone else money for your education, you are more free to make that decision.

I have a degree in finance with a minor in economics but only spent two months working in a related field. Right now I work as a DC power technician installing telecom equipment. I hate my job, but I can always say, 'at least I don't work in an office'.

The point is you should think about finding something that suits you, look for something that suits you but don't stress about not knowing or finding it right away. Your life will move along whether you find that perfect niche or not.

What exactly do you mean by, 'I find myself enjoy working with social-related jobs' ? Do you mean working and talking with people as opposed to drawings and machinery or do you mean you enjoy the type of 'community development' work you are involved in?

It will help you to sort out your thoughts if you write them out like you were trying to explain them to someone else. You won't be able to hide behind vague thoughts. Start writing like you were writing a letter or email to someone who knows you well enough that you can't bullshit them. You should probably do this in the language you can express yourself best.
In Cambodia, if you said, you owed your family money or someone for your education, people would laugh, as it is really odd for us. Normally, our family is responsible to pay our school fee ( My mom paid all my both schools). Not to mention, there is no government loan like USA. We can not borrow the money from the government for our education. However, our government provided some fully and partially scholarships each year. So, if you are smart, you can get them. In Cambodia, if you don't have money to pay for school fee, you can't go to school.

I am so much fortunate that my family is really supportive especially my grandpa and my mom. They are my two biggest supporters. They always support my decision. They have never forced me to do anything i don't like which is really completely different from other Cambodian families.

At least, you have worked for a while in the sector that related to your skill. For me, i haven't been working in any jobs related to my skill beside English. I actually also wanted to try in construction sector, but i wasn't confident enough.

I actually meant community development, however, everyday i am doing the same thing, and i am finding it so bored lately. I want to do something different.

Again thanks for your suggestion. I will try to follow your suggestions and let see how i am going to end up with.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic