Dog Horror Story

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Dog Horror Story

Post by Chad Sexington »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm
atst wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:36 pm.
Domestic pets don't roam the streets night or day including cats
90% of the dogs/cats you see walking around are somebody's pet.

To the OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. No matter which country I live in, I would never let a pet of mine roam unattended.
Most dogs in Cambodia (particularly in the provinces) are kept as waste food disposal units / intruder alarms and to a lesser degree a food source, cats are for rodent control, they are not pets as westerners know it.
Don't look at it as they are left to roam, rather that they are kept free range.
Only a very small minority are kept and looked after in the manner of “pets”.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 pm

To the OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. No matter which country I live in, I would never let a pet of mine roam unattended.
Most dogs in Cambodia (particularly in the provinces) are kept as waste food disposal units / intruder alarms and to a lesser degree a food source, cats are for rodent control, they are not pets as westerners know it.
Don't look at it as they are left to roam, rather that they are kept free range.

I think it's a bit jaded to think all Khmers look at dogs and cats as a food source only.

I go walking around the streets around my apartment (more of a khmer area with not many westerners in close proximity) in the evenings with my Khmer wife. We talk to many of our neighbors. In Phnom Penh, I see dogs roaming around my area to go to the bathroom and after a 30 minute ranging or so, they return home. I know where each of the dogs homes are now and from the dogs, ended up meeting their loving owners.

In rural areas, I only know a handful of my wife's neighbors, which are extremely poor for the most part. My wife's mother and their neighbors love their dogs too. Their dogs. I don't doubt for a minute if anothers dog caused repeated problems that it would disappear.
Still here, in country...
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Ravensnest wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:34 pm

I think it's a bit jaded to think all Khmers look at dogs and cats as a food source only.

I go walking around the streets around my apartment (more of a khmer area with not many westerners in close proximity) in the evenings with my Khmer wife. We talk to many of our neighbors. In Phnom Penh, I see dogs roaming around my area to go to the bathroom and after a 30 minute ranging or so, they return home. I know where each of the dogs homes are now and from the dogs, ended up meeting their loving owners.

In rural areas, I only know a handful of my wife's neighbors, which are extremely poor for the most part. My wife's mother and their neighbors love their dogs too. Their dogs. I don't doubt for a minute if anothers dog caused repeated problems that it would disappear.
I did say “to a lesser degree” a food source, of course not all Khmers eat dogs, although in our rural local there are several families who keep numerous dogs, letting them breed indiscriminately and regularly “harvest” them to feed the family (and sell them to the dog buyers when they come calling)
I fear you may be wearing rose tinted spectacles if you think all the dogs in your neighborhood only nip out for a 30 minute “comfort break” then scamper home to their loving owners, that may be so for a small number of them, but for every well loved dog I’ll bet there are 50 more who are kept in the fashion and for the reasons mentioned in my initial post.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm
I did say “to a lesser degree” a food source, of course not all Khmers eat dogs, although in our rural local there are several families who keep numerous dogs, letting them breed indiscriminately and regularly “harvest” them to feed the family (and sell them to the dog buyers when they come calling)
I fear you may be wearing rose tinted spectacles if you think all the dogs in your neighborhood only nip out for a 30 minute “comfort break” then scamper home to their loving owners, that may be so for a small number of them, but for every well loved dog I’ll bet there are 50 more who are kept in the fashion and for the reasons mentioned in my initial post.
I spoke about the roaming dogs in my area. I've eaten dog, once. It is, sadly, delicious. I know where it's served here if you'd like to go.
I'm fully aware of the snatching and bartering that takes place here, rats too. But that's a different discussion compared to my previous post.
Still here, in country...
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm
I spoke about the roaming dogs in my area. I've eaten dog, once. It is, sadly, delicious. I know where it's served here if you'd like to go.
I'm fully aware of the snatching and bartering that takes place here, rats too. But that's a different discussion compared to my previous post.
I’m in agreement with you regarding the taste of dog meat, I wanted it to taste like shit so I could say “why the hell would anyone want to eat this” but the reality is that, as you say, it’s sadly delicious. I’m occasionally offered it by neighbors, I’ve had it three times.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic