Dog Horror Story

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dog Horror Story

Post by John Bingham »

Grand Barong wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm For most westerners it is unthinkable to kill and eat a dog, but in Cambodia it has become a source of meat since the war in the 70's I think most people living in KOW for any extended period of time would know the risks and heard stories about letting a loved pet dog roam free at night.
I feel for her , but this happens to khmer families too. It's not personal, it's just part of life there.
The history of war, famine and starvation here goes back centuries.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Idunwanna
Tourist

Post by Idunwanna »

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 am
Idunwanna wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:03 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:43 pm
IraHayes wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:27 pm While not wanting to appear harsh, after 12 years here surely the poster would be aware of the consequences of allowing your dog to roam free.
I agree barangs here are too sensitive and judgeMENTAL here , jeezus , get over it .
Only a dog well! I'll have you know that could be my girlfriend's grandfather.
Coulda been anybody’s relative , now it’s just a dog - get over it
Could have been I meant it as a joke😎
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Probably unskilled construction workers, they are like a scourge. Pig ignorant scum.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 am Probably unskilled construction workers, they are like a scourge. Pig ignorant scum.
Probably want to widen your scope there JB. Given, only recently, a car seller was conned out of 20k by an african fellow.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I feel bad for the owner that's rather tragic. I caution anyone to keep an eye on their pets it's a tough time right now and even during normal times or in developed countries if you let your pets run lose they are at risk ( vechicals, other animals, unfriendly people, getting into something that could kill them i.e. antifreeze tastes sweet and more. Also cats are terrible for wildlife and are an invasive species )
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There's a dog that barks it's head off all day in my street.

I'll pay $50 to anyone that puts that noisy little fucker in a pot.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:03 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:43 pm For most westerners it is unthinkable to kill and eat a dog, but in Cambodia it has become a source of meat since the war in the 70's I think most people living in KOW for any extended period of time would know the risks and heard stories about letting a loved pet dog roam free at night.
I feel for her , but this happens to khmer families too. It's not personal, it's just part of life there.
The history of war, famine and starvation here goes back centuries.
Millennia even.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Canine slaughterhouse discovered in Skun sparks fresh call for dog meat ban
Rhea Mae Soco / Khmer Times

Animal welfaregroups are calling for the government to ban the trade of dog meat throughout the country following the discovery of a dog slaughter house in Kampong Cham province, described as the worst they have seen in Southeast Asia.

Four Paws International together with Animal Rescue in Cambodia posted an open letter online in December last year calling for the government to put an end to dog meat trade for human consumption. They have gathered one million signatures worldwide since then.

The letter says: “The evidence we gathered documented the immense animal cruelty inherent in the trade, unsanitary slaughter methods and the serious risk the trade poses to public health, largely due to rabies. The publication of our findings has resulted in national and international calls for action to be taken to protect dogs as faithful companions and defenders of public health and national security, not food.”

In a video posted by Four Paws on their Facebook page, a caged dog is shown being delivered to a slaughter house in Skun town, Cheung Prey district wwand later on brought to a dark room. The camera was unable to capture what happened, but the dog’s whine suggests it was slaughtered.

The group said this slaughterhouse in Skun was by far the worst place their team has ever seen and estimated one million dogs have been killed since its opening in 1995, with 200 dogs being drowned daily.

Head of Four Paws Stray Animal Care in Southeast Asia and veterinarian Katherine Polak said the dog and cat meat trade is not only immensely cruel but also poses a risk of new zoonotic diseases like COVID-19 and is linked to other public health threats such as rabies.

According to her, the one million signatures received worldwide from the campaign aiming to stop dog meat trading was overwhelming.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50814433/c ... -meat-ban/

Scary video from Four Paws:
Our team in Southeast Asia has seen a lot, but the dog slaughterhouse in Skun, Cambodia, is by far the most horrific facility they had ever seen in terms of sheer filth, disgust, and terror. An estimated 1 million dogs have lost their life there, since the opening in 1995. We have to stop this. And we are trying to.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

atst wrote:
truffledog wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:16 pm Domestic pets don't roam the streets night or day including cats

Except when the pet guardians go on holiday and don’t leave any food or water. Cats are resourceful, and fit through the bars of most Khmer homes.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

atst wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:36 pm.
Domestic pets don't roam the streets night or day including cats
90% of the dogs/cats you see walking around are somebody's pet.

To the OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. No matter which country I live in, I would never let a pet of mine roam unattended.
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic