Spirituality: Curious about Christianity?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Spirituality: Curious about Christianity?

Post by StroppyChops »

Do you have genuine questions about Christianity that you'd like to discuss in a non-church environment?

There's an international project (169 countries, 112 languages) called "Alpha" that provides a non-threatening environment for people to question what its all about. It's typically offered in coffee shops, churches, bars (yes, bars), sports clubs etc. and usually involves a meal and a discussion. It's definitely not "churchy" or "religious", and nothing is off-topic as long as it's authentic. One of the local churches (not mine) is offering this opportunity on Tuesday nights from 5 May to any English speaker who genuinely wants to know more.

If you want more information, PM me. Happy to respond to any public comments below! Note that this post is aimed at you hairy-butted expats, not our Khmer friends. You regular readers of Leviticus are especially welcome.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Spirituality: Curious about Christianity?

Post by StroppyChops »

Deleted - troll interaction. The following comment by AE is also in response to the troll.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I thought his intentions where plenty clear...?
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Deleted - troll interaction
Last edited by StroppyChops on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ok, my question would be this: Which one should I subscribe to? It's all too confusing to me. Much as I respect other people's beliefs I really don't get what actually constitutes a Christian. There seem to be thousands of different denominations amongst them, all claiming to be the only ones who know the truth. Should I believe the Seventh Day Adventists, Baptists, Roman Catholics, Pentecostals, Mormons, Quakers, Coptics, Rastafarians, Evangelicals or what? Some of these groups seem to have fairly benevolent beliefs, but many seem to be quite nasty and exclusive.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

why can't Christian groups be together if they believe in the same God? What is the point of division? I heard people said Jesus is not God there is another God. Jesus is only the son of God. Is it true? If it is true, please prove it.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote:Ok, my question would be this: Which one should I subscribe to? It's all too confusing to me. Much as I respect other people's beliefs I really don't get what actually constitutes a Christian. There seem to be thousands of different denominations amongst them, all claiming to be the only ones who know the truth. Should I believe the Seventh Day Adventists, Baptists, Roman Catholics, Pentecostals, Mormons, Coptics, Rastafarians, Evangelicals or what?
That's actually a really valid question John. To me (and some scholars) there is a basic set of principles that Christians - regardless of denomination ("faction" if you like) - should agree on to consider themselves Christians. This includes Christ as part of the Trinity, virgin birth, atonement etc. that you're probably familiar with. This is sometimes referred to as 'foundational theology' and even though (say) a Coptic Christian might express their understanding of those core beliefs differently to (say) a Pentecostal Christian, the core belief should be the same. The difference in expression comes down to social and historical differences.

Where we Christians need to be really, really careful - and where we so often fail - is that it's the non-core stuff that's more open to interpretation that we will often get vicious over and start wars between ourselves. Our insistence on being 100% right about everything is what leads to religion, which has got nothing to do with faith or Christ, and often to new denominations.

Historically, a number of denominations have come about because of a better understanding of the Bible (e.g. Calvin and Luther) - but bare in mind that until recent decades (and indeed still in some religions) the congregation has been taught to never read or understand the Bible for themselves but instead to take everything the priest or pastor says as (ahem) gospel. In some cases the monarch had been declared the head of the church and the only voice of God, and I'm sure you can list other examples. What an absolute recipe for manipulation on a massive scale!

It's this humanity in "the church" - or often simply evil bastards hiding behind the church - that had caused many people here, myself included, a lot of pain. Often in childhood or other vulnerable times.

What I like about the Alpha project is that it focuses on the faith, not the failings of people.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Last edited by StroppyChops on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Last edited by StroppyChops on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Samouth wrote:Is it true? If it is true, please prove it.
Is Buddhism true? If it is true, please prove it.

Ohhhhhhh..........

Come on guys, let him have his belief. He's welcoming people to talk to him and there is no need to push him around for that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic