Khao San road thru the ages

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Khao San road thru the ages

Post by phuketrichard »

Not exactly the place i would visit much but it was an interesting area in the 80's. haven't been back since

How Bangkok's Khao San Road evolved from a rice market into the world's most famous travel hub

Before

Now

Khao San Road, Bangkok: An influx of backpackers that started out as a trickle in the 1970s became a tidal wave in the 1990s, transforming Khao San Road into the world's largest backpacker center. According to the Khao San Business Association, in 2018 the road saw an astounding 40,000-50,000 tourists per day in the high season

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... PwMhIHYiKk
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Khao San road thru the ages

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Stayed there for a weekend a couple of years ago for somewhere different. Enjoyed the more laid back afternoon atmosphere sitting in a few bars watching the passing street action. Didn't enjoy the evening as it descended into a bucket drunk loud music fest populated by the similar crowd as the Koh Phangan bust, think Pub Street Siem Reap scene for comparison. It's more a flashpacker, affluent gap year crowd with prices to match and that was before the recent renovation. I wouldn't even contemplate going back.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The World's most famous travel hub? Jeez, I think that's a bit presumptuous, isn't it?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Pintheshower
Tourist
Canada

Post by Pintheshower »

We have all visited there at one point. This is sad to see.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Pintheshower wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm We have all visited there at one point. This is sad to see.
Check your own city/town. It’s the same all over the world.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

In the 90`s KSR was filled with cheap rooms, travel agencies and good cheap food..and a few small bars to hang out. Illegal cheap minibuses where leaving for many destinations. It was THE place to exchange updated travel/visa information and meet fellow backpackers from all corners of the world. The place where i booked most of my trips to new international destinations following the advice of others or just jumping on a nice offer by some travel agents.. We would develop our pictures and share them with others. We would talk to each other back in the days and watch the latest movies sharing a good spliff filled with good cheap weed. KSR was incredibly attractive and a nice place to hang out the days waiting for the visa of your next destination.

the original vibe of KSR is not there anymore. Its gone. No need to visit, most will be disappointed. Too many people..too much business. waste of time.

The area around Samsen (just over the bridge at the end of KSR) is a good example of how things looked before:

work is for people who cant find truffles
Pintheshower
Tourist
Canada

Post by Pintheshower »

whatwat wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:50 pm
Pintheshower wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm We have all visited there at one point. This is sad to see.
It's not the same all over the world. Khao San Road is the most heavily-touristed street in one of the most heavily-touristed countries in the world.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

It’s strange isn’t it I’ve been living in Bangkok almost 6 years yet never been to this famous and popular Khao San Road. Kept telling myself to visit and have its famous pad thai noodle there yet . . . . 😂
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Pintheshower wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:19 am
whatwat wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:50 pm
It's not the same all over the world. Khao San Road is the most heavily-touristed street in one of the most heavily-touristed countries in the world.
Ok don’t take my comment literally. The pint is many popular tourist cities are deserted.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I used to go there a few times per year, most notably during Songkran and for Halloween. I guess I won't bother anymore, I don't like the new setup and I cut short my last visit (Halloween) because it was just plain BORING.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic