Headlines Burma ( yes Aung san says you can say Burma)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Headlines Burma ( yes Aung san says you can say Burma)

Post by phuketrichard »

As the anniversary of #Myanmar’s coup approaches people ask, “what more could be done”? Well,
@JusticeMyanmar
have provided a checklist. Targeted sanctions against senior junta members & military-controlled companies deny them legitimacy & cash.
Is your government doing enough? if not, write someone and ask WHY NOT?

Tomorrow marks 1 year since i started this thread
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Here is an update on the atrocities happening in Myanmar... What a mess...

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... opposition

Myanmar’s junta torching ‘village after village’ in bid to quell opposition... After a year in power, evidence is growing of regime scorched-earth tactics to terrorise the civilian population

"On the morning of 6 January, Boi Van Thang set out on a motorbike across the mountainous terrain of Chin state in western Myanmar. He would travel to a nearby village, he told his wife, and bring back meat for her and their seven children.

He never returned. Three days later his wife, Thida Htwe, received a call. Boi Van Thang’s body had been found. The bodies of eight other men and one boy had also been discovered.

Thida Htwe said that her husband’s throat was cut, that he had a knife wound in his chest and as well as several in his back, and that one of his legs was broken.

Photographs apparently from the scene, seen by the Observer, show a body that Thida Htwe identified as her husband. He is naked apart from his underwear, and his feet are tied. His clothes are in a pile beside his body.

Further images provided by Chin Human Rights Organisation (CHRO) show other victims of the massacre who were reportedly found nearby. In one photograph, five bodies are lying beside one another; some have their hands tied or material placed over their eyes or mouth. They have numerous wounds to their throats, chests and stomachs.

The youngest of those killed was 13. Chin journalist Pu Tui Dim was among the dead. He had been travelling with villagers, apparently on his way to visit family. He has been described as an “experienced ethnic media personnel who helped pave the way for independent news media in Chin state”.

Almost one year ago, Myanmar’s military ousted the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi and seized power in a coup. Since then, the country has descended into turmoil. The UN estimates the crisis will have driven almost half the population into poverty in 2022. Public services are barely functioning, as large numbers of teachers and medical staff are refusing to work in junta-controlled facilities, and instead operate their own networks.

The military has used violence and terror to stamp out dissent and silence opponents. Some 1,500 people have been killed by the military, and 11,800 arrested, according to a local human rights group. But opposition remains. As well as peaceful protest movements, local civilian defence forces have emerged, some of which are supported by established ethnic armed groups. The military has in turn launched artillery and air strikes.

In Chin state, where there is a strong resistance movement, as many as 80,000 people have been forced to flee their homes by fighting, according to the CHRO. Almost 900 were arrested between February and December last year alone, according to the group, while 182 people were killed during the same period. Some are thought to have been kidnapped and used as human shields.

“I have lived through the previous military regime and I read stories and reports from all over Chin state,” said veteran activist Salai Za Uk Ling of the CHRO. “I have never seen this level of brutality in my life.”

In December, more than 30 people, including children, were killed in Kayah state on Christmas Eve. Their bodies were found burned beyond recognition. Earlier in the month, the military rounded up and killed 11 people in the Sagaing region of Myanmar’s north-west. The group was shot and then set on fire, according to local media reports.

Alongside such massacres, the military has increasingly deployed a scorched earth campaign as part of its intensifying reign of terror. Myanmar Witness, which collects evidence of military abuses, has corroborated 57 incidents where buildings in villages and other civilian areas have been set alight. Many have been attributed to the military. Extensive damage has been recorded within Thantlang, in northwest Chin state.

Such violence was reminiscent of the Rohingya crackdown in Rakhine state in 2017, said Aung Myo Min, human rights minister of the National Unity Government (NUG), the administration in exile. “They sent more troops, they went village to village and torched all the houses, and forced the massive displacement to other areas,” he said. “It’s the same pattern.”

The NUG is investigating the killing of Boi Van Thang and other civilians murdered that day. It will submit its findings to a group established by the UN Human Rights Council to collect evidence of violations of international law committed in Myanmar.

“It is important for us to bring justice and make sure the culture of impunity is no longer in the future of Myanmar,” said Aung Myo Min.

Activists suspect the junta has targeted Chin state because it wrongly believes local resistance can easily be silenced. “They always have this perception that the people of Chin state are weak and can be easily subjugated,” said Salai Za Uk Ling.

The state, in western Myanmar, is the nation’s poorest, and home to the Chin people, a mostly Christian ethnic minority that has long suffered oppression in the Buddhist-majority country. Churches are among the buildings that have been torched.

Activists say the military’s assumption that it could impose order in Chin state have been wildly inaccurate. According to CHRO, close to 80% of its civil servants are refusing to work after joining the civil disobedience movement. “The administrative apparatus no longer functions in Chin state apart from in towns or capitals like Hakha,” said Salai Za Uk Ling.

Tuesday marks the first anniversary of the military’s seizure of power in Myanmar, he said, but added: “The coup has not succeeded yet.” In some villages, most young people had joined the armed resistance, he said.

CNDF soldiers participate in martial arts training under the guidance of Mai Zacer Mawi at afacility in Falam township, Chin state.
Resistance to the Myanmar regime in Chin state – a photo essay

The murder of Boi Van Thang and others on 6 January has prompted a fresh wave of people from villages near to Matupi, a strategic crossroads in Chin state, to flee their homes.

El Zamoon was among those who fled. He spent eight days travelling, mostly by foot, across steep roads to seek safety across the border in India’s Mizoram state. Children, exhausted, fell from their bikes along the journey.

El Zamoon fled when the military began firing heavy artillery at his village. “Everyone here wants to go back to their homes, but they are afraid of the soldiers,” he said.

Families of those killed left without the opportunity to hold a ceremony for their loved ones.

Thida Htwe was unable to see her husband’s body or hold a memorial. She said he was a kind-hearted man who, in his spare time, would tutor village children. “He was only 38 and a good father to our kids,” she said.

“Now I am left with seven kids. I don’t know how to raise them without him,” she said. When she sees other families she feels a deep sadness. “I wish he were here with us. We will never forget him.”
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a full year on,

On 1 February Myanmar’s military – the Tatmadaw – headed by Commander-in-Chief Min Aung Hlaing, overthrew the country’s civilian-led government and declared a state of emergency. Since then, hundreds of thousands of people have participated in peaceful protests and strikes against the reimposition of military rule, while numerous civilian militias known as People’s Defence Forces (PDFs) have also formed as part of an armed resistance. According to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners, at least 1,300 people have been killed by the security forces since 1 February and over 7,000 people remain detained for resisting the coup. At least 65 people have been sentenced to death by military tribunals.
read full story: https://www.globalr2p.org/countries/myanmar-burma/

The junta has burned entire villages + townships to the ground in #Chin. Now, the regime is ordering civilians to return to #Mindat & if they don't their property will be confiscated as the military's assets.
Red circle 85% of the town has fled Mindat for safety.
https://www.thechindwin.com/the-militar ... e-myanmar/

Russia is fucking things in Burma as well as the Ukraine
Russia sends heavy arsenal, weapons, and ammunitions to Myanmar military junta
Yangon – 23 armoured tanks, massive ammunition, weapons full of large seven containers – all of which are believed to be weighing over 282 tons – were sent to Myanmar military junta by Russia using Captain Yakubovich (AZSCO) ship on 24 January 2022.
https://www.thechindwin.com/russia-send ... ta-source/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Marking the one-year anniversary of the military coup, Western countries announce new sanctions against junta officials and entities, while the regime presses fresh charges against overthrown civilian leaders
By AFP
The United States, United Kingdom and Canada unveiled coordinated sanctions against junta officials Monday as the military regime leveled fresh charges against Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and U Win Myint, one year after ousting them in a coup.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been detained since the February 1 coup last year that triggered mass protests and a crackdown on dissent with more than 1,500 civilians killed, according to a local monitoring group.

The military junta has now charged her with influencing Union Election Commission officials during 2020 polls, a source said, on top of previous charges, including violating the Official Secrets Act.

If convicted of all charges, she could face sentences tallying more than 100 years in prison.
UN special envoy Noeleen Heyzer called for a “humanitarian pause” in violence to allow for delivery of aid, warning that hundreds of thousands of people had been misplaced by conflict.

Following the US lead, Britain imposed sanctions against Thida Oo, Tin Oo and U Thein Soe, head of the junta’s reshuffled Union Election Commission.

“The Burmese military are using ever more brutal and desperate tactics to try to cling on to power,” said Ms Anna Roberts, Executive Director of Burma Campaign UK, welcoming the fresh sanctions.

“The British government is doing exactly the right thing… however, they need to speed up the pace of new sanctions. It is vital to maximize pressure now while the military are more vulnerable.”

The Canadian government imposed similar new sanctions, saying the military regime had “shown no sign of reversing course” over the past year.
https://www.frontiermyanmar.net/en/one- ... w-charges/
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Nobody where I live has any clue that this is going on, but maybe I should be quiet, because there’s probably atrocities happening somewhere else that I have no clue about either.

I’d planned to visit Myanmar in 2019 but got called back to work early and couldn’t make it. Planned to visit again in 2020 but covid ruined that. Then all this happened.
Given the country’s history, I have to wonder if I’ll ever get to see it. I really regret not having a look while the window was open for a few years there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ryan754326 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:55 pm Nobody where I live has any clue that this is going on, but maybe I should be quiet, because there’s probably atrocities happening somewhere else that I have no clue about either.

I’d planned to visit Myanmar in 2019 but got called back to work early and couldn’t make it. Planned to visit again in 2020 but covid ruined that. Then all this happened.
Given the country’s history, I have to wonder if I’ll ever get to see it. I really regret not having a look while the window was open for a few years there.
i was heading back in early 2020 but....
it is ( hopefully will once again be) a great country to visit, the last se asian country that was not overrun ( except Bagan and inle lake) with tourists> and still had places you could get away and not see another white face for days/weeks

to show ya what you missed
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719

it hurts to see what is going on there.. yet as u mention, few know or care
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 pm
i was heading back in early 2020 but....
it is ( hopefully will once again be) a great country to visit, the last se asian country that was not overrun ( except Bagan and inle lake) with tourists> and still had places you could get away and not see another white face for days/weeks

to show ya what you missed
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719

it hurts to see what is going on there.. yet as u mention, few know or care
Thanks for the link. The pictures look amazing and I’ve got a long layover tomorrow so I’ll check them all out. I love to see stuff like this, especially the pictures from long before I was old enough to even think about traveling to places like that.

I have to say, I don’t know what your story is, but from the little bits of your life I’ve read about on CEO, it sounds like a very interesting one. Have you ever written any memoirs or anything like that?
One of the best parts of traveling, for me, is bumping into guys like you in a bar, and listening to all of the crazy stories they tell. I like to think I’m pretty adventurous, but I don’t even know if it’s still possible to have the kind of adventures that some of you guys had back in the old days.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BANGKOK (AP) — A nationwide strike in Myanmar on Tuesday marked the one-year anniversary of the army’s seizure of power, as sporadic protests and violence across the country raised further international concern over the ongoing struggle for power.

Photos and video on social media showed that a countrywide “silent strike” had emptied out streets in Myanmar’s largest city of Yangon and other towns as people stayed home and businesses shut their doors in a show of opposition to army rule.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/one- ... es-streets

NUG’s forces carry out bomb attacks across Yangon on coup anniversary
The explosions targeted military personnel and other junta targets as the city observed a silent strike
The National Unity Government’s (NUG) Yangon Division Command launched attacks against 24 junta targets across the former capital on Tuesday, as Myanmar marked the anniversary of the military coup with a nationwide silent strike.

The attacks covered 11 townships including Sanchaung, Insein, Dala, Hlaing Tharyar and Hlegu, targeting an air force lieutenant colonel, soldiers, security posts, administration offices, CCTV controllers and regime informants with remotely detonated explosives, according to a statement from the command.

They were the latest in a wave of bombings and shootings across Yangon and the surrounding regions that the NUG has dubbed Operation Pyan Hlwar Aung.
https://www.myanmar-now.org/en/news/nug ... nniversary

As the coup marks 365th days, 94 more houses were destroyed in the latest arson attacks on Tuesday in Thantlang, bringing the total number destroyed since Sept 2021 to 928.

At least 140 people have been arrested for participating in the Civil Disobedience Movement and going on strike. At least 8 died in custody. 46 people have been taken hostage in attempts to force family members back to work,

Burma Army Attacks: Displaces 20,000 Villagers and Closes Schools in Kawkariek Township
As many as 20,000 villagers from 27 villages have been displaced in recent Burma Army offensives in Kawkareik Township. Local schools under the administration of the Kawthoolei Education and Culture Department (KECD) have been forced to close and students pushed to take exams early.

Saw Gay Doh, the principal of the Pu Yay high school that had to close because of recent fighting spoke to Karen News.

“The Burma Army is getting closer and closer to our area. There has been fighting. Some students in our school come from far away villages, their parents are worried and call us. When education officials told us to close the school we did so for about a week. Children who could return to their homes were allowed to return home. Some children couldn’t go back to their homes as they live too far away. When the school is closed, the children are given time to self-study.”
https://karennews.org/2022/02/burma-arm ... -township/
Monks’ association accuses junta of politicizing religion
The regime’s distribution of pamphlets about alleged electoral fraud to monasteries violates the constitution, say monks

A Mandalay-based monastic association has accused Myanmar’s military regime of trying to create division by spreading propaganda in monasteries.

In a statement released late last month, the Mandalay Monks’ Association denounced the distribution of 15,000 copies of a booklet about alleged electoral fraud to monasteries, calling the move an attempt to exploit religion for political purposes.

“As a monk, I strongly condemn such actions. They are trying to pit monks against each other, and against the people,” said Ven. Yaw Gyi, whose monastery is in Mandalay.
https://www.myanmar-now.org/en/news/mon ... g-religion

an interactive page built from data since feb 1st 2021...
https://coup.aappb.org/

the situation between Russia, NATO and Ukraine is on the front lines of news casts and newspapers world wide>
NOTHING about the 1 year on conflict in Burma :facepalm:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The military operates with impunity;
no outcry, no outrage in the world, Burma is a forgotten failed state>

Entire family killed during junta attack on village in Sagaing’s Kanbalu Township
After learning of the death of his wife and two children, the father reportedly ran towards the soldiers and told them to shoot him

When he found out that his wife, son and daughter had been murdered by the junta’s forces during a raid on his village in Sagaing Region, Thein Zaw went looking for the soldiers, according to two survivors of the attack.

While many others were fleeing Pay Lel on Saturday morning the 50-year-old, overwhelmed with grief, ran towards the danger.

“I heard that Thein Zaw ran into the village after hearing the news about his family, yelling at the soldiers to shoot at him,” said one 20-year-old local. And they did, making him one of at least six people murdered in the Kanbalu Township village that day.
https://myanmar-now.org/en/news/entire- ... u-township

Two-year-old daughter of female PDF suspect dies in Thandwe prison
The child was being held with her mother, who was arrested last year on suspicion of financing anti-regime activities
The two-year-old daughter of a female detainee accused of supporting the People’s Defence Force (PDF) died in prison in southern Rakhine State’s Thandwe Township on Thursday, according to sources.

The child, Shwe Yoon Eain, had been sent to the prison to stay with her mother after undergoing surgery to correct a birth defect, a woman close to the girl’s family told Myanmar Now.

“I don’t know the details, but they said she died in prison. I was told that she would be buried in the village,” said the woman.

Shwe Yoon Eain’s family collected her body from the prison on Friday morning, the woman added. She was two years and four months old at the time of her death.
https://www.myanmar-now.org/en/news/two ... dwe-prison
Junta Airstrikes Hit Lower Myanmar as Fighting Intensifies
The Myanmar junta has launched airstrikes in and around the town of Moebye in Kayah State, where intense clashes between regime soldiers and People’s Defense Forces (PDF) have been taking place since last Wednesday.

Fighting broke out on February 16 when two junta armored cars and over one thousand regime soldiers entered Heigh Kwee Dam and War Yi Phu Pha Lai Village near Moebye.

Resistance fighters from Moebye PDF, Loikaw PDF, Demoso PDF, Pekon PDF, Karenni Army, Karenni Nationalities Defense Force, Karenni Generation Z Army, Fight for Justice and other groups are battling the military regime forces.

One resistance fighter told The Irrawaddy that there have been daily junta air and artillery strikes in and around Moebye.
https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/ju ... ifies.html

Myanmar People Urged to Join ‘Six Twos Revolution’ General Strike Against Regime
Anti-regime forces have called on the Myanmar people to join a mass protest planned for Tuesday that is being referred to as the “Regathering for the Six Twos Revolution”, a reference to the date, 22.2.2022. The protest is also being referred to as “Revolt by the Rural, Defiance by the Urban.”

Last year on Feb. 22 (22.2.2021), three weeks after the military seized power, protesters across Myanmar took to the streets in a general strike known as the “Five Twos Revolution,” in one of the largest nationwide shows of opposition to the military

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/my ... egime.html

DISGRACEFUL ICJ DECISION IRRESPONSIBLE AND UNNECESSARY DELAY TO JUSTICE
21 February 2022: The hearings concerning The Gambia’s case against Myanmar at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) are a dangerous and unnecessary delay to justice that could worsen the situation in Myanmar, says the Special Advisory Council for Myanmar (SAC-M).

The ICJ is hosting public hearings from today in the case brought against Myanmar by The Gambia for alleged breaches of the Genocide Convention. The hearings are taking place with the illegal military junta representing Myanmar before the Court, despite the junta having no legal or democratic legitimacy, and no claim to effective control over the people or territory of Myanmar. No other United Nations (UN) body has accepted the junta as representing Myanmar.

It is outrageous for the ICJ to proceed with these hearings on the basis of junta representation. The junta is not the government of Myanmar, it does not represent the State of Myanmar, and it is dangerous for the Court to allow it to present itself as such,” said Chris Sidoti of SAC-M. “The junta leaders orchestrated the genocidal atrocities against the Rohingya – the subject of this case – and are the cause of the current violence and suffering in the country. They are trying to entrench themselves as leaders of Myanmar, including by claiming international recognition. If they succeed, the chances of the Rohingya and all peoples of Myanmar achieving justice where it matters – on the ground in Myanmar – will be severely diminished.”
https://specialadvisorycouncil.org/2022 ... o-justice/

shame on the worlds leaders!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic