2-Star Officer Accused of Abducting and Beating Woman

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

2-Star Officer Accused of Abducting and Beating Woman

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kampong Speu): On January 28, 2021, Mr. Khay Samphors, Deputy Prosecutor of Kampong Speu Provincial Court, issued a summons to the suspect, 2-star military officer Soy Chansoeun, to answer charges of "violence with aggravating circumstances and illegal detention of people", acts which allegedly occurred on the morning of January 22.

Another party member, Srey Sambath, male, acting as the Acting Director of the Development Office of the General Command of the Ministry of National Defense, was also summoned by the court on the afternoon of January 28, 2021.
According to the woman's complaint: "At 10:00 AM on January 22, 2021, on the road at Takhmao provincial town, Soy Chansoeun took me in his car, beat me and pulled out a pistol at me to stop me from shouting and kept threatening to break my leg and shoot me in the street until we reached Kampong Speu province in Chamkar Chek village, Treng Trayeung commune.

There, the officer detained me in the house of his descendant, Srey Sambath, who was acting director of the Development Office of the General Command of the Ministry of National Defense, until 7 pm on the same day, when the police finally came to intervene, and they liberated me from the house and took me to the hospital." [It seems that the woman still had access to her telephone and had managed to call for help.]
The cause of the violence was due to a land dispute between Mr. Soy Chansoeun and the victim. The woman also stated that she had already filed a complaint with the Kampong Speu Provincial Prosecutor's Office to seek justice because her physical and mental suffering is so great because she is a weak woman, who was attacked by a large man who has no respect for women.

The victim was repeatedly punched in the face, neck and chest, and she has two black eyes, a split lip, and many bruises.
The woman begs that the Kampong Speu Provincial Court be quick to deal with this case because this person is still threatening her, and she is scared for her safety because he is dangerous and violent.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 2-Star Officer Accused of Abducting and Beating Woman

It appears that the two parties also had a romantic relationship. The woman victim is suing for $2M damages.

January 28, 2021
Businesswoman sues high-ranking military officer over assault

The Kampong Speu Provincial Court yesterday issued a summons for a high-ranking military official working in the Ministry of National Defence for questioning, allegedly for beating and confining his businesswoman lover.

A court document, issued by Deputy Prosecutor Khai Samphors and obtained by Khmer Times yesterday identified the suspect as Major General Soy Chansoeun, 45, the deputy director of the General Command Development Department in the Ministry of National Defence living in Phnom Penh.

The victim was identified as Duong Hemalis, 41, the owner of a construction company also living in Phnom Penh.

The document said that Maj Gen Chansoeun was suspected of “intentional acts of violence with aggravating circumstances and unlawful confinement” under Articles 218 and 253 of the Criminal Code.

“The suspect is ordered to appear at Kampong Speu Provincial Court for questioning at 9am on February 15,” the document said.

Hemalis told Khmer Times yesterday that she knew Maj Gen Chansoeun in 2014 and they entered into a platonic relationship.

Hemalis said that due to the close relation, in September last year, they both became lovers, but lived separately.

She said that at 10.30am on January 22, she and Maj Gen Chansoeun travelled by car to Takhmao city, Kandal province.

She added that while on the drive, they got into a verbal argument with each other. Maj Gen Chansoeun beat her, she added, causing serious injury to her mouth, head and face.

“He is an angry, cruel and violent man. He beat me like an animal,” Hemalis said.

“He also pulled out a pistol, threatened to shoot me, break both my legs and kill me,” she said.

She added that the suspect then confined her at his colleague’s house in Kampong Speu province.

Hemalis said she was rescued by police at 7pm the same evening after she was unlawfully confined for many hours, when she was brought to a private clinic in Phnom Penh for treatment.

She lodged a lawsuit against Maj Gen Chansoeun at Kampong Speu Provincial Court on January 24.

“In order to find the justice in this case, I request that the suspect be arrested and brought to justice. I demand $2 million in compensation from him,” she said.

Maj Gen Chansoeun could not be reached for comment yesterday.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50807777/b ... r-assault/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What rank do you have to get to to be absolved from all physical exercise? Just asking out of interest. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:55 am What rank do you have to get to to be absolved from all physical exercise? Just asking out of interest. 8)
I said it before and I'll say it again. Cambodian military ranks are vastly inflated. This "2 star" is equivalent to a zero striper fresh out of US military basic training. Bring back the five star general rank and create new ranks up to 15 star general. That will surely fix this problem.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
2 Star Officer Charged with "Aggravated Assault and Illegal Detention"
Cambodia News, (Kampong Speu): Major General Sam Samoun, Provincial Police Commissioner of Kampong Speu, confirmed to the media on July 30, 2021 that a two-star military officer named Soy Chansoeun, who violently abused and detained a woman in Kampong Speu has been arrested according to the order of the Kampong Speu Provincial Court.
The military officer, Soy Chansoeun, is a lieutenant general and serves as deputy director of the Development Command of the Ministry of National Defense. He was charged with "aggravated assault and illegal detention" of a woman named Duong Hemalis on January 26, 2021.
ImageImage
The commissioner confirmed that his police force had detained the military officer on a court arrest warrant. At this time, interrogation is underway for further action.

The violence took place on January 22, 2021, at 9:00am, the victim, Duong Hemalis, 41 years old, and Soy Chansoeun drove together to the Kandal Provincial Gendarmerie with Soy Chansoeun as the driver. When the car was approaching the Takhmao roundabout, Soy Chansoeun and Duong Hemalis argued with each other. Suddenly, the officer became angry and stopped the car and hit Duong Hemalis several times on her hands, face, eyes, buttocks, chin and chest, and threatened to shoot her if she dared to get out of the car. He then locked up the woman in his house until she was rescued by police.
The above acts are offenses: Intentional violence with aggravating circumstances and illegal detention committed in Takhmao City, Kandal Province and in Kampong Speu Province on 22 January 2021 in accordance with the provisions of Article 218 and Article 253, point 1 of the Penal Code.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

When one can get away with vehicular homicide for about $1,000 - $2,000, $2M for aggravated assault and false imprisonment seems a bit of a stretch.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The Judge wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:32 pm When one can get away with vehicular homicide for about $1,000 - $2,000, $2M for aggravated assault and false imprisonment seems a bit of a stretch.
Depends who the victim is. The question of damage compensation in Cambodia often depends on the relative social status of the victim and the perp, as much or more than the actual damage caused. And there are other cultural considerations.

When you ask for $2M damages in a case like this, I imagine that it's a first shot over the bow - it means "I'm serious, I'm lawyered-up, so get grovelling."
It's also good for headlines on social media . ;-)

But, don't doubt me, I'm totally on her side - even if she called the guy a fat stupid pig, there's no excuse for physical violence.
(I haven't looked into what exactly happened here, but I think there was also some suggestion of a business deal gone wrong between the two, as well as their illicit sexual relationship, which was obviously not working out so good.)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Kampong Speu Province): The Investigating Judge of Kampong Speu Provincial Court on the evening of July 30, 2021 issued a detention order for a 45-year-old former two-star military officer named Soy Chansoeun and remanded him in custody in the provincial prison to wait for the legal proceedings related to the use of violence and the detention of a woman who was a lover and business partner in Kampong Speu during January 2021, while the woman named Duong Hemalis is detained in Prey Sar prison since early June 2021, for more than 30,000 US dollars worth of falsechecks.

According to the court order, Soy Chansoeun, who holds the rank of Major General and Deputy Director of Development, General Command of the Ministry of National Defense, was charged by the Kampong Speu Provincial Prosecutor's Office. "Using aggravated violence and illegally detaining people" under Articles 218 and 253 of the Penal Code to a 41-year-old woman, Duong Hemalis, was the victim on January 26, 2021.

However, the defendant, Soy Chansoeun, is suing the victim, Duong Hemalis, who is a former lover and business partner.
It should be reminded that today, the victim, Duong Hemalis, was also arrested and detained in Prey Sar Prison in early June 2021 in connection with the case of embezzling more than 30,000 US dollars.

Defendant Duong Hemalis, 35, a businesswoman living in Khan Chamkar Mon, was sentenced in absentia by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on 31 January 2019 to 2 years imprisonment for non-compliance with payment transactions under the Traded Instruments Act.

On February 2, 2019, Judge Seng Rithy issued an order for the public authorities to arrest Duong Hemalis and implement the court's decision on June 2, 2019. In 2021, the police arrested the accused and handed her over to the court.

To be continued...

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Apparently they don't know if she's 35 or 41, but if the sassy biatch stole $30,000 from the officer, she got what she had coming. :voilent1:

Maybe she'll think twice about doing it next time.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Hopefully someone beats the smug look off his face in prison.

Whether or not the charge of her "embezzlement" is true or not no woman deserved to be assaulted and detained like that.

Fat fuck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic