Education in a rural village

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Education in a rural village

Post by takeoman »

A major problem in our commune in Takeo is that the teachers, no doubt lacking motivation because of the ridiculously low pay,regularly don't turn up. I lost count of the number of days my son returned half an hour after setting out to announce "no school". Weddings, funerals, rice planting, rice cutting are just a few of the reasons given for teachers absence. In the end we had to move him to a school in Takeo Town. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Education in a rural village

Post by Soi Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:Samouth,... "Be the change that you wish to see in the world".
Bravo.

In my daily life I have a lot of Khmer telling me what to do to fix their country - when I ask what they are doing to fix their country, they stare at me blankly.

From one of my team: "Stroppy, that woman there really needs money to [sick cow | relative | wedding | …] "

Stroppy: "Cool. I'm glad you're caring for your community. How much of your monthly wage do you want to give to her?"

Team: "Say what, now?"
I shouldn't have made that statement/query directly to Samouth. He has his own responsibilities and employment issues and doesn't have much free time to take up new projects like I mentioned. I should have made it more general and asked why he thinks Cambodians who see the problems don't seem to feel empowered and compelled to make a difference despite the corrupt government officials. But such things (like providing a textbook) can start with helping one student at a time. Then go on to help one classroom at a time, then one school at a time, etc. as funds allow. I would rather see locals fill the breach than have another foreign NGO SUV-brigade take the reigns, as they seem to be ineffective at getting books into kid's hands.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic