Thai troops during the Thai-Cambodian border dispute

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Thai troops during the Thai-Cambodian border dispute

Post by Brody »

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Thai troops during the Thai-Cambodian border dispute

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Oh piss off, Thai mous

:assasin:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Two undertrained, under-equipped and highly corrupt militaries fighting each other... Poor soldiers.

I didn't know the Thais had actually taken the temple. I was there two weeks after the market was burned down and a few soldiers died during the 2009 flair up, but Cambodians held the temple and it was fairly heavily fortified. Did they take it over or was it given back prior to that through peaceful talks?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

When civil war breaks out in Thailand, Laos 🇱🇦, Cambodia 🇰🇭 , Malaysia 🇲🇾 and Myanburmar 🇲🇲 should simultaneously invade and retake various regions along the border.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:29 pm Two undertrained, under-equipped and highly corrupt militaries fighting each other... Poor soldiers.

I didn't know the Thais had actually taken the temple. I was there two weeks after the market was burned down and a few soldiers died during the 2009 flair up, but Cambodians held the temple and it was fairly heavily fortified. Did they take it over or was it given back prior to that through peaceful talks?
I was there also right after the skirmish. I didnt think the Thais had actually crossed the border but firebombed the market from their own bunkers above the border crossing. There was damage to the Naga at the base of the staircase but as you say the area was heavilly fortified. I was given a personal tour by the Gen. in charge. We toured the gun placements as well as the temple. At the time they were very surprised to see us ride up on dirtbikes. We were invited for drinks at the base camp below but declined the dinner invitation. However before departing we supplied them with a chicken and a few sleeves of cigs.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:29 pm
I didn't know the Thais had actually taken the temple.
I think that's Ta Moan temple, it's actually about 200km from Preah Vihear temple in another disputed area.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

If it is Ta Moan then it was Chin Chan Por's stretch of the border at that time, still is. Legend.

He would have been leading the charge from an elephant in the old days
(photo, saa)
"Those ridden by generals are accompanied by one or more parasol carriers on foot.
The use of elephants in war in the region began as early as the 9th-century. The Khmer Empire—now modern-day Cambodia—ruled Thailand for centuries, with war elephants an effective tool in their arsenal which helped them to conquer and subjugate those around them. The collapse of the Khmer Empire and the rise of Ayutthaya (modern-day Thailand) saw war elephants continue to be used in battle."
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I visited with my daughter. I remember a lot of trading going on between the Thai and Khmer soldiers.

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:
I think that's Ta Moan temple, it's actually about 200km from Preah Vihear temple in another disputed area.
Ah ok. Do you know if the Thais actually took PV for a short stint?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:45 am
John Bingham wrote:
Ah ok. Do you know if the Thais actually took PV for a short stint?
They did in about 1960. I don't think they did in that more recent dispute.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic