I NEED MONEY!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

I NEED MONEY!!!

Post by Jacket »

Hear hear, my fellow expatriates!
I'm sitting in an internet café at the riverside and I'm typing up some CVs to look for a second job.
If I'd say that the school that I'm currently working for is a disappointment it be a massive understatement.
I'm working 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, show up ever second Saturday and because I'm a sucker I do that
to myself for 828 bucks a month...

...Yeah. I know. I know.

Anyway. I'm looking for a school that offers evening classes. Possibly a school that I could work for on a full
time basis after a while once I get fed up with slaving away for less than 5 bucks an hour. So, any suggestions?
Preferably in the Toul Kork area. I know that this forum isn't a job agency, but I need some extra money and I
need it ASAP. Unlike some of my contemporaries, dealing with drugs is not an option for me (it'd be like a
vegetarian that works in a butcher's shop)

Any suggestions?

Seriously guys!
I don't want to put on a wig and give the ladyboys in town a run for their money :o
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: I NEED MONEY!!!

Post by StroppyChops »

Jacket wrote:I don't want to put on a wig and give the ladyboys in town a run for their money :o
Personally I think that would be quite fetching...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

StroppyChops wrote:
Jacket wrote:I don't want to put on a wig and give the ladyboys in town a run for their money :o
Personally I think that would be quite fetching...
Now that's just too much sexy for one evening.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Jacket wrote:I'm working 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, show up ever second Saturday and because I'm a sucker I do that
to myself for 828 bucks a month...

Any suggestions?
9 times 5 is 45. That's 45 hours a week.
45 times 4 weeks, that's 180 hours a month.
828 bucks divided by 180 equals, OMG, you can't be serious.

I'd suggest you get a haircut and get a real job!

:hattip:
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

I'd get a haircut. But that costs money.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I got a haircut. Now, about this job you're offering...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

While my math skills aren't as good as UT's, it does sound like a bad gig (which you seem to already be aware of).

I can only assume the "9 hours a day" includes office hours, and not solely teaching hours?

Ok, evening hours.....

Off the top of my head, I would check out ELT. They have a branch a branch in Camko Center, which is pretty much Toul Kork area.

You can almost always get an hour from 5:30pm-6:30pm, called their "golden hour."

Pay can range from $12-15 for that one hour a day, Monday-Friday.

I would also be looking into landing a whole new gig and drop the current one completely.

Most shitty schools have negotiable wages too.

I think your story shows that it's still quite easy to land an English teaching job quickly, but takes more time to land a job you want to keep.

Remember to dress up as much as you can for interviews and ask for the director instead of just throwing your CV at the cutie at reception and bouncing.

I always thought the Tuesday/Thursday issues of the Cambodia Daily had some of the best current job offerings. They have to pay to advertise there and be organised to get the ad placed, so generally a good start as opposed to the places that let anyone post random jobs for free.

And definitely ask any teachers you come across if they know of any openings. The better positions usually fill faster, which shouldn't be a surprise.

Best of luck, and hopefully others can provide some more ideas here.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If those are contact hours it's a dreadful salary. I used to teach English but it was never for that low a rate, and I'm glad I got the hell out of that scene. Even PUC pays about twice that, they have a branch in TK.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

OP get a new job ASAP. Even tempted to say give 4 weeks notice now...but the jobs on HR websites actually look like slim pickings...however you should find a job in 4 weeks easy enough (I'm presuming you're young and white and own a tie?)..plus it indicates to your current employer that you're unhappy/not been paid enough, and miracles happen(stroppy?) They might offer you an improved rate (minimum for a westerner should be $10 a hour, and I've worked in some shit schools)
Check http://www.camhr.com and education jobs. Monitor that page - most of the schools advertising there are pretty desperate and will daily update their post (doing this knocks it back up to the top with the 'new' logo flashing beside it...at 5:33 this morning there are no new jobs FYI) also check http://www.bongthom.com
...final tip would be Western in Toul Kork huge school loads of campuses in TK, meet the man in charge?
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

...needless to say, but I will anyhows, the man in charge is a c#nt.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic