Barangs know your place here.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Barangs know your place here.

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 am
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 am ^^^
And there's the rub..

Maybe, just maybe and I know this is speculation on my part, OP got his duck stolen by a regular, favoured customer. The vendor had a choice. Not favour a regular customer or piss off a non regular customer :pardon:
Or, maybe, just maybe, when the OP ordered his duck, the vendor already had an order for the last duck and was always cooking it for the original order. The OP, being downwind of a few beers, assumed his grunting and pointing and other communication techniques had been received, understood and acted upon. Only when it came to delivery time did he realise he was not the one it was going to.

A bit like the EU and the vaccine - you think you have a valid order, but then you find out otherwise and blame the vendor.
No the dead bird was hanging up, when they are hanging up nobody has brought it yet, I pointed at it the guy took it down and started cooking it for me, some time later he changed his mind about who was to get the last duck, it's not the first time I've shopped there over the years, and implying I was to drunk to know what was going on is a bit of a laugh
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

atst wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:06 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:05 am
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 am ^^^
And there's the rub..

Maybe, just maybe and I know this is speculation on my part, OP got his duck stolen by a regular, favoured customer. The vendor had a choice. Not favour a regular customer or piss off a non regular customer :pardon:
Or, maybe, just maybe, when the OP ordered his duck, the vendor already had an order for the last duck and was always cooking it for the original order. The OP, being downwind of a few beers, assumed his grunting and pointing and other communication techniques had been received, understood and acted upon. Only when it came to delivery time did he realise he was not the one it was going to.

A bit like the EU and the vaccine - you think you have a valid order, but then you find out otherwise and blame the vendor.
No the dead bird was hanging up, when they are hanging up nobody has brought it yet, I pointed at it the guy took it down and started cooking it for me, some time later he changed his mind about who was to get the last duck, it's not the first time I've shopped there over the years, and implying I was to drunk to know what was going on is a bit of a laugh
Yeah just kidding. I've been drunk nearly to unconsciousness many times and I was still conscious of what was happen in my surroundings and interactions. At least I think so.
philip.williams
Tourist

Post by philip.williams »

Lol, I understand your viewpoint and it often happens to me as well, but mostly the opposite happens...

Dickheads are everywhere, I find this to happen more when I don't look my best or when I'm not smiling, so fcking SMILE.

Inaccurate generation is a world wide problem but considering their history and recent history the Khmer people are very strong.

But yeah, bugs the fuck out of me too but which area are you? Riverside I get it a lot, must be a bald white guy like me, I get blamed for the other bald white dckhead and I don't even drink so often.

But the Chinese my friend, they build this country in a speed unknown to mankind, every we advertised for and collected billions through NGO, the Chinese just fucking did it, without our bullshit speeches and advertisements.

I never got threated more fair than in China (day to day life) maybe Thailand... Business culture is another story.

Just smile, if they act this way, smile even bigger, fuck them back a bit this way, dont lose face.

But how many foreigners act like total cunts here? We can expect some inaccurate genelisation due to these kind of cunts.

But respect for posting this, also bugs the f outlet of me!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yep we are partly to blame fat old man with stunning young girl hanging onto you, in my case for 6 years , It must shit them off big time. :Yahoo!: Why else to be here.
Especially when you look at thier fat old wives, funken
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Arget wrote:Today dropped into market to grab some rice. Had not been in that part before. Old biddy scowled at me and said $2 per kilo. It was small rice. I said no thank you and she gave me a spray that included barang chhkuot. Another woman nearby said something to her in a admonishing tone and smiled at me then took me to another seller nearby. I asked how much and she sold to me for R4000.
Good on you!

Hopefully a couple more scoldings by her friendly neighbors and a few more lost sales will drive home the point.

But I always wonder, which sellers are the successful ones who have a huge business, and the sellers that are fly by night, barely scraping by here and there? Or just those that don’t care about making a sale?

I suspect a lot of them do it as a side business - farming, livestock, driving tuk tuk, etc., is their primary job, not successfully selling and cultivating the business.

Just my thoughts.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:50 pm
truffledog wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:24 pm
I sometimes wonder how many expats would leave Cambodia if those "young pretty ones" were not that easily available. I think Cambodia would have a complete different set of visitors.
Personally I'm far too old and decrepit to be bothering "young pretty ones", yet here I remain. 8)
That whole scene is a negative for me. When I first came here it was intended to be for a month before I moved on to Jinan China for a couple years. I liked it here, didn't go to my flight.

I didn't plan anything with regards to dating local women, I had finished a long relationship with an NYC girl and thought I would have 2 years in China before coming back to the west and settling down. Being in NYC never had a problem dating girls of various nationalities, but I did start to get the "fever" after a while.

I despise the whole sexpat, addicts, losers, dregs element to the expat community. I didn't want those people to be viewed as representative of the whole. I would be happy if every hostess bar was permanently shuttered. Not that I don't know people that visit on occasion, I guess I don't view people going once every few months as part of the sexpat grouping.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

It was slightly bothersome to be charged extra in the markets, but I enjoyed getting back at them by going to shop with the missus. I would let my wife come to an arrangement on prices with the seller and pop out from the shadows as the transaction was about to take place. HAHA, GOT YOU MOTHERF(*(*#!!

Having the thing I ordered being simply given to some other person instead is not the same. I'd tell them to fuck off and just never return to that stall and tell my wife and other people I know the same. I wouldn't bother feeling angry about it too long. I think that sounds like more of a one-off, not the overcharging which is common.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

we get it
you're better than everyone else

monstra mihi bona!
Pintheshower
Tourist
Canada

Post by Pintheshower »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 pm we get it
I don't think he meant it like that
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 pm we get it
I didn't think "sexpat, addicts, losers, dregs" is "everyone else." In fact, I suspect a significant amount of long-term expats on this forum do not fit into those categories. Do you?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic