Barangs know your place here.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PrestonLiu
Tourist
Singapore

Re: Barangs know your place here.

Post by PrestonLiu »

They will try to cheat you if you look Chinese, too. In many ways it’s worse.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:51 pm one of the most creative things i've read all week
genius, pseudoepherdrine, a bit of tweaking and you'll have a real hit!
Yu Betcher!
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

siliconlife wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:14 pm Meh, never been interested in fitting in anywhere, or ignoring or accepting things I don't agree with. Stay calm, don't guzzle too much cheap piss, and yes, avoid confrontation, but there's no harm calling a spade a spade in a non-confrontational discussion. Easy enough to say leave your Western cap at home, but that's never going to actually happen, because as Arget said, you will always be made very aware that you are the other here. Make your own mind up about your values, regardless of culture, and stick to them.
I agree. Born in Kent, went to Yorkshire, played in a band round the clubs. I was always the fookin southerner. Moved to NZ,after 40 years I was still the Pom. Worked in Saudi and Bahrain, I knew they were talking about me every time I heard the word kafir (unbeliever). I am happy here in SR, I don't give any sort of fuck whether I am accepted or not. I have mates, I have a khmer gf, a pretty one, not too young to be embarrassing when we go out. She checks the prices in the market, says she loves me - does she? F knows, but if she says so, thats good enough for me. I like the pace of life, the weather, the food, the cheap beer, the total lack of road rules (I am an anarchist at heart), and yes all the khmer I have met seem nice enough. I am sure they talk shit behind my back - but hey, when I sit with barangs in the ANZAC bar we talk shit about them, so fairs fair. To misquote Voltaire, everything is for the best, in this the best of all possible worlds. Living the dream.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

lagrange wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:16 pm
siliconlife wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:14 pm Meh, never been interested in fitting in anywhere, or ignoring or accepting things I don't agree with. Stay calm, don't guzzle too much cheap piss, and yes, avoid confrontation, but there's no harm calling a spade a spade in a non-confrontational discussion. Easy enough to say leave your Western cap at home, but that's never going to actually happen, because as Arget said, you will always be made very aware that you are the other here. Make your own mind up about your values, regardless of culture, and stick to them.
I agree. Born in Kent, went to Yorkshire, played in a band round the clubs. I was always the fookin southerner. Moved to NZ,after 40 years I was still the Pom. Worked in Saudi and Bahrain, I knew they were talking about me every time I heard the word kafir (unbeliever). I am happy here in SR, I don't give any sort of fuck whether I am accepted or not. I have mates, I have a khmer gf, a pretty one, not too young to be embarrassing when we go out. She checks the prices in the market, says she loves me - does she? F knows, but if she says so, thats good enough for me. I like the pace of life, the weather, the food, the cheap beer, the total lack of road rules (I am an anarchist at heart), and yes all the khmer I have met seem nice enough. I am sure they talk shit behind my back - but hey, when I sit with barangs in the ANZAC bar we talk shit about them, so fairs fair. To misquote Voltaire, everything is for the best, in this the best of all possible worlds. Living the dream.
35 years in Australia, aussie citizenship, passport but I'm still the sheep shagger from NZ.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Respect going out to lagrange, your 2 cents is gold.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic