Barangs know your place here.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Barangs know your place here.

Post by atst »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:03 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:56 am Do you?
lol, not exactly
but i'm not a sanctimonious jerk about it
nor do i fear for my reputation that these people exist
i suppose i might, if i were easily mistaken for a drooling fat bald old tattooed junkie towing a pretty young thing
This is way off topic but towing a pretty young thing is more the pretty young thing's idea, and I suspect the barang is more embarrassed than the pretty young thing.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:37 pm
lagrange wrote:Image
Looks similar to cautionary tales that missus watches all the time. Animated graphics.

Last story was about the dangers of tiger rape.

Sorry for derailing this thread.
Please continue on this fascinating topic.
Try this
http://www.strangehistory.net/blog/wp-c ... id-con.jpg

http://www.strangehistory.net/2015/09/1 ... con/?hcb=1
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Marty wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:27 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:40 pm Buying poultry from the market may result in disappointment, rejection of sale by the vendor, "papason" of the last long legged big breasted bird being reserved for sale, but not for you, but that of another customer.
But like the OP said later in his posts, he found that of another vendor to buy his bird.
We all seem to have some ups and downs at times, and particular at time's where there's no type of understanding to why this thing would happen, it's very possible that the vendor was missunderstood, the bird could have simply been reserved for a regular customer. We also could still lean heavily toward our past western ways.
I too had a unexpected account trying to buy something! Many will know that I have been rebuilding my Moto, I was recently buying a new part for it near Orussey market, l also noticed when I was buying the part they stocked a few others that I needed, unfortunately I couldn't buy them there at the time because of the lack of funds, the price of the parts was an amount of $105. We talked of the parts available, and I had arranged to return the next day to come and buy them.
So the next day I am standing at the counter, parts in my hands that I and the owner had talked about the day before, the owner standing opposite myself has I offered him the money to pay for the goods. "No" he said, "I not sell you today". I was thinking what is going on? I held out the money once more "No" again was the reply. I put the items on the counter and walked out to the Moto parked outside, my partner said where are the parts, I explained he won't sell me, she replied "crazy" let's go.
Certainly seems crazy to us, but there is an underlying logic in his not selling those motorcycle parts to you that contains the wisdom of the ages in search of ancient astronauts. For more enlightenment on this, read: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
It was not the first time this has happened to me, but it was the first time I have been in prior conversation about arrangements for buying the parts, and having them in my hands, being then refused when trying to pay. The answer was in asking my Khmer friend to go buy them on my behalf the following day.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, it was some years ago, and one of the few books on my short list that I have read. The writer of that particular book had been rejected by editors over 100 times before the book was finally put in publication.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I had a bit of an issue at the beginning of this week, which i don't really want to go into as I'm not really sure how much of it was my fault and, no offense, but if I'm not sure, and I was there, I'd rather not invite the opinions of those who were not and only have what I write to go on.
But suffice to say I found myself in a potentially ugly situation and had a Khmer guy squaring up to me that I decided to walk away from rather than take my chances. And it's been bothering me all week.

I've been looking at Cambodia with fresh eyes, much like the OP appears to have done over the infamous Duck-gate, and hard-questioning my existence here as a foreigner.

Where I'm usually tolerant of the largely poorly educated, zero-fucks-to-give population, I've been particularly frustrated and intolerant about it this week. Especially at work. Asking myself why I seem to have found myself surrounded, on a daily basis, by people who simply couldn't care less about anything, take no pride in anything and don't understand the correlation between getting out what you put in. The thought of a typical Khmer standing back from something and proudly stating "I made that", "I did that" or just swelling their chest with pride over their own achievement doesn't seem to exist. And it bothers me more than I'm usually prepared to admit.

As I said, I largely ignore it or brush it aside, but I've been wondering how much of an impact this soft of thing has on my own mental health. I wonder if my own culture is simply too far removed from the one I've been calling home for the last few years. Even things like watching unwashed, ragged young children walking around on their own at night collecting empty plastic bottles and having to remind myself from time to time that it's not normal. Yes, having to remind myself, rather than it being an instinctual feeling. And other seemingly minor things like watching a video of another world city, and noticing how orderly the cars queue up at the lights, how well organised the road markings are, how clean and litter-free it all looks, and how aware it all makes me of just how far from typical Cambodia really is.

As my near altercation fades from my memory, I am slowly coming back to the idea that, all things considered, I am happier here than I would be anywhere else. That's not to say that Cambodia has it's issues, and I myself have very valid issues living here - anyone who says their life here is perfect is either lying to you, lying to themselves, or probably both - all in all, the positives do outweigh the negatives. For me anyway.

I think my point is that I do fully understand the OP's point. It might only be an issue over a bit of a duck, but sometimes it's things like this that can trigger and bring to the surface feelings we mostly have to suppress in order to survive here.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:23 pm I had a bit of an issue at the beginning of this week, which i don't really want to go into as I'm not really sure how much of it was my fault and, no offense, but if I'm not sure, and I was there, I'd rather not invite the opinions of those who were not and only have what I write to go on.
But suffice to say I found myself in a potentially ugly situation and had a Khmer guy squaring up to me that I decided to walk away from rather than take my chances. And it's been bothering me all week.

I've been looking at Cambodia with fresh eyes, much like the OP appears to have done over the infamous Duck-gate, and hard-questioning my existence here as a foreigner.

Where I'm usually tolerant of the largely poorly educated, zero-fucks-to-give population, I've been particularly frustrated and intolerant about it this week. Especially at work. Asking myself why I seem to have found myself surrounded, on a daily basis, by people who simply couldn't care less about anything, take no pride in anything and don't understand the correlation between getting out what you put in. The thought of a typical Khmer standing back from something and proudly stating "I made that", "I did that" or just swelling their chest with pride over their own achievement doesn't seem to exist. And it bothers me more than I'm usually prepared to admit.

As I said, I largely ignore it or brush it aside, but I've been wondering how much of an impact this soft of thing has on my own mental health. I wonder if my own culture is simply too far removed from the one I've been calling home for the last few years. Even things like watching unwashed, ragged young children walking around on their own at night collecting empty plastic bottles and having to remind myself from time to time that it's not normal. Yes, having to remind myself, rather than it being an instinctual feeling. And other seemingly minor things like watching a video of another world city, and noticing how orderly the cars queue up at the lights, how well organised the road markings are, how clean and litter-free it all looks, and how aware it all makes me of just how far from typical Cambodia really is.

As my near altercation fades from my memory, I am slowly coming back to the idea that, all things considered, I am happier here than I would be anywhere else. That's not to say that Cambodia has it's issues, and I myself have very valid issues living here - anyone who says their life here is perfect is either lying to you, lying to themselves, or probably both - all in all, the positives do outweigh the negatives. For me anyway.

I think my point is that I do fully understand the OP's point. It might only be an issue over a bit of a duck, but sometimes it's things like this that can trigger and bring to the surface feelings we mostly have to suppress in order to survive here.
good points, Back in 97 i had had enough of thailand for many of the above reason ( had been here for 13 years)
So I left and moved back to Ca. Did it all, brought a new car, brought a house with views of Monterey bay, my wife & daughter loved it.
But after 18 months had enough and sold off everything.

Since being back here and the year living in Cambodia, i know what i have now and feel at peace with things.

so my suggestion, when all these little things get to be to much and you find them happening more and more... pack up and get out before ......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I think there's a requirement when living in Cambodia/SEA to adapt, ignore or accept what's happening around you, as making comparisons or wishing things were different will eventually lead to frustration, anger, dismay and eventually resentment toward your adopted country - we've all met the angry expat. Whether it's the double pricing,, corruption, not being accepted as an individual, or a plethora of other issues faced by western expats, the reality is most grievances one might have with Cambodia/SEA, its people or culture aren't going to change. If we're unwilling adapt, ignore or accept certain aspects or conditions of living in these countries, our existence will quickly become a miserable one I think.
Yak
Tourist
Turkey

Post by Yak »

I speak Khmer , i am looking normal , no sunglasses , i no look like too much as a tourist , so i don't have many bad stories with local people .
When i see some foreigners , i understand and i agree the local reactions .
It's like everywhere , do you know a country with only stupid submisive honest smilling peoples ? me no .
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

"stupid submissive honest smiling"...
You make it sound like these are all the same!
:beer1:

Can't people be honest & smiling, without being mocked, (for being
'stupid')?
We ain't all as cynical as you, innit?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Yak wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:50 pm I speak Khmer , i am looking normal , no sunglasses , i no look like too much as a tourist , so i don't have many bad stories with local people .
When i see some foreigners , i understand and i agree the local reactions .
It's like everywhere , do you know a country with only stupid submisive honest smilling peoples ? me no .
Nope, only Cambodia and Thailand. And thank you for looking normal and not wearing sunglasses, especially at night or in dark nightclubs!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Agree that we must accept new normal here if we want to survive.

The biggest thing I had to get over when I first came here in 2003 was comparing everything to home. After several yearly visits I moved here on 2014 and I felt accepted (silly me) and thought I fit in to my new home really well. The belt back to reality was the day I was walking with my redhaired white daughter and my 5 year old mixed race (father Ghana) on street 63 in BKK1. She apparently got bitten by an ant on the toe and she screamed. I told her to stop and she quietened a bit but then I became aware of people staring at us. Some started to come towards us and even a military cop stopped on his motto. I was shitting myself as I don't speak enough Khmer to explain the relationship.
To my everlasting joy one of my tuk tuk drivers stopped and explained who I was and what the family relationship was. As he had spent time with us travelling around the kid was comfortable with him and allowed him to check her toe and "fix" it with some tiger balm (what else?)
This brought me back to the reality that we are not just accepted here and must be aware of our surroundings and what is going on . I too have walked away from confrontation a couple of times because I was never going to be in the right. In the veggie markets I ask a price then either I buy or walk away. I don't wear a watch or gold , only have a phone deep in my pocket.

I have made my home here and hope to remain here but am under no illusion that I am only tolerated not accepted
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic