Digital Nomads - their impact

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Digital Nomads - their impact

Post by emm »

Several Digial Nomads stayed at the same Residence where i live. They mostly played Online Teaching but never ever paid a single income tax dollar in Cambodia. While i am gratefull for having Online Taeching, especially during the current Pandemic i think it is unethical to use the country as a tax free Job Base. Some claim they have to pay income tax in their home country but transparency is almost zilch.
Here is a recent report from another low cost Tourist Destination, Bali

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/economic ... ali-really
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Digital Nomads - their impact

Post by nemo »

Kind of a busybody aren't you?
All your posts complain of injustice, but you seem short on solutions.
Give it a rest.
Go find some good to do.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

emm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:40 pm Several Digial Nomads stayed at the same Residence where i live. They mostly played Online Teaching but never ever paid a single income tax dollar in Cambodia. While i am gratefull for having Online Taeching, especially during the current Pandemic i think it is unethical to use the country as a tax free Job Base. Some claim they have to pay income tax in their home country but transparency is almost zilch.
Here is a recent report from another low cost Tourist Destination, Bali

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/economic ... ali-really
I hope that your neighbors don't tune in to CEO. I'm not sure about tax status for people who work online outside Cambodia, but a lot of people who are teaching online are obliged to because of the pandemic.When the borders open, many of them will leave Cambodia or go back to schools here.

What's the problem OP ? You say that you are an online teacher, but that you think this is unethical, unless you pay taxes in Cambodia, so I guess that you yourself are paying taxes in Cambodia.
So, good for you for stepping up, and your insistance on paying taxes is a very ethical stance, but your post comes across as a little judgemental. Some people are just scraping by at the moment .
:o

Edit: And BTW, how do you know what your neighbors pay in taxes ? :Search:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

You must have got to know them pretty well in order to know that they are digital nomads - employed by a non-Cambodian company and thus teaching non-Cambodian kids.

I guess you must have come across as their friend in order to get those kinds of details.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

It's the same as with gambling. Countries can either get smart about it (embrace and tax it) or not. Some countries seem to be moving in that direction lately, thanks to the pandemic.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

OP, instead of complaining about this to the expat community who can do nothing about it, why don't you go and report these people to the General Department of Taxation .
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

emm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:40 pm Several Digial Nomads stayed at the same Residence where i live. They mostly played Online Teaching
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always though these "digital nomads" did tech stuff like coding, App development, programing etc? Online teaching is a different barrel of fish.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:57 am
emm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:40 pm Several Digial Nomads stayed at the same Residence where i live. They mostly played Online Teaching
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always though these "digital nomads" did tech stuff like coding, App development, programing etc? Online teaching is a different barrel of fish.
Nah, it means you work remotely online from foreign destination. So it can be teaching, bookkeeping, etc. and not just tech stuff.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Emm, you seem to have gone a bit sour on the whole world, mate.
'Not throwing rocks, at all. I have been there myself and i know what a flocking miserable place it is to be.
I also know that there are good reasons to head down that path. The world if full of horrors. And people don't seem to give a flying fox about it all. It's depressing, and it causes panic. Believe me I know.

I aint got no fixes for you. That's your job.
but just being aware of your state is a good place to start. Then ??, maybe a bit of slow nature therapy.
I reckon it is turnaroundable. Some positive, life-enhancing thing generally comes along if you are open to it.

For me - the ones that can say "I Won" with their dying breath, are the ones that have made a reconciliation with the world. The losers go out all bitter and twisted. I don't want to be all bitter and twisted today, let alone with my dying breath.
I still panic and go sour at times. I hate it, and it makes me a prick to be around. But it is my job to fix that first, before any other ills of the world.
imo. Bro'.

(ps. you have been free with your opinions, so i hope you will take this with good grace. And, good luck)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Here's some homework for you OP...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic