Moto tax and plate

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tim Smith
Expatriate
Canada

Moto tax and plate

Post by Tim Smith »

This should fire up the sarcasm.
I purchased a 2015 Honda Blade. Cheap. Tons of kilometres. NO plate or Tax
What are my options to plate this rig?
I took precautions buying it ie. I have the ad and text messages,phone number used. I do t think it’s HOT. But who knows.
imheathan
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Moto tax and plate

Post by khmerhamster »

Tim Smith wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:55 pm This should fire up the sarcasm.
I took precautions buying it ie. I have the ad and text messages,phone number used. I do t think it’s HOT. But who knows.
You don’t have any options. Just ride it as long as your can until it gets confiscated. Behave on the roads and this could be a long time, drive like a dick and it will be a matter of weeks.

Your precautions...they are worthless.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

It might be stolen, more likely it’s just an illegal import from Vietnam. Probably pretty unlikely to get it legal. It depends on where you live as to how much of a problem that may be. For instance, in Sihanoukville for awhile they were impounding bikes for three days, then you paid a fine and got it back. Now it’s just an on the spot fine. But that varies from province to province and day to day.
Wear a helmet ( it’s where your brain lives) have two mirrors, one points at your nuts, the other to give a nice view of the sky. And you may be ok.
up to you...
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I have been riding a 'Vietnam import' for a few months now, and the only time I was pulled over - for going the wrong way down a one way street - the cops showed no interest in the bike, or tax card, or my license (dont have one). They were just focused on how much of a fine they could get out of me. Starting at $25, I got it down to $10 after a lot of friendly argument. Probably could have got it to $5 but I knew when I should walk away. So I did. But that is Siem Reap - maybe PP is different?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lagrange wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:14 am I have been riding a 'Vietnam import' for a few months now, and the only time I was pulled over - for going the wrong way down a one way street - the cops showed no interest in the bike, or tax card, or my license (dont have one). They were just focused on how much of a fine they could get out of me. Starting at $25, I got it down to $10 after a lot of friendly argument. Probably could have got it to $5 but I knew when I should walk away. So I did. But that is Siem Reap - maybe PP is different?
In my experience the cops scan for the easy three:

- helmet
- mirrors
- plate

Any of those missing means easy money.

So an illegal bike without a plate is going to costs you every time they bother to stop you.

Talking it down to 5 bucks is a no go, the official fine is 40k riels if I recall well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Can't you just 'acquire' a plate from somewhere, screw it on your bike and forever play dumb as to it's provenance?

Do the cops have radios linked to staff with a computer whereby they can look up a plate and tell if it is issued to your bike? If they don't then how will they that anything is amiss?

If you don't have papers with you at the time of being pulled up, that might be an offence and you'll get a fine. But as long as they don't suspect the bike is stolen or falsely plated, they won't confiscate it.

Just a thought.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I have friends in the license department and they said there’s nothing you can do about this type of moto, so we didn’t buy it.

Your only option may be to get a license plate from another moto. If you only drive it in rural areas you may get away with it for a long time. If you could get a ownership card and plate from the same model of moto I’m sure the police would never check the serial number.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Advocating fraud isn’t a good idea.
Just ride without. A whole lot safer.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:59 pm
I have friends in the license department and they said there’s nothing you can do about this type of moto, so we didn’t buy it.

Your only option may be to get a license plate from another moto. If you only drive it in rural areas you may get away with it for a long time. If you could get a ownership card and plate from the same model of moto I’m sure the police would never check the serial number.
This seems to be fairly common. Where I get my bike serviced the mechanic has mentioned a couple of times that he can get me a Cambodian plate to replace the Vietnamese one no problem.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Tim Smith
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Tim Smith »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:13 am Can't you just 'acquire' a plate from somewhere, screw it on your bike and forever play dumb as to it's provenance?

Do the cops have radios linked to staff with a computer whereby they can look up a plate and tell if it is issued to your bike? If they don't then how will they that anything is amiss?

If you don't have papers with you at the time of being pulled up, that might be an offence and you'll get a fine. But as long as they don't suspect the bike is stolen or falsely plated, they won't confiscate it.

Just a thought.
I was thinking the same thing!
imheathan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic