Today Nuclear Weapons abolished in 50 Nations

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Today Nuclear Weapons abolished in 50 Nations

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:47 pm Prediction. War is coming.
More doom and gloom dude. I used to think like that when I was a teenager during the Cold War. It's not so bad now, you need to chill out and stop prophesying such terrible outcomes. Life will never be perfect but there's no need to keep going down the Armageddon route.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

More doom and gloom ? --- Hopefully !

The plot thickens however and it's not that Nukes were never used. The US remains the one and only to bomb another country twice. Nagasaki and Hiroshima !
Now the chinese Navy has the rights to shoot :
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diploma ... s-disputed
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

and the US continues to operate Freedom of Navigation exercises in the disputed waters ....

Oh and let's not forget the UNCLOS ruled in 2016 that China has no legal basis for claiming the historic rights to maritime boundaries and resources in the areas falling in the Nine-Dash line.
Permanent Court of Arbitration; A Case Study of Philippines vs China

On 22 January 2013, Philippines registered arbitral proceeding against China in the Permanent Court of Arbitration in Hague under the Annex VII of the UNCLOS 1982. According to the statement Philippines pleaded that China has violated its sovereign right of freedom of navigation and jeopardizing its access to maritime entitlements in the South China Sea by extending its territorial claim in the SCS region, creating artificial islands and maintaining excessive presence of surveillance vessels, naval assets and fishing boats in the region.

The Permanent Court of Arbitration in Hague over a period of four procedural hearing orders on July 12, 2016 issued the final award to the case. According to the award China had no legal basis for claiming the historic rights to maritime boundaries and resources in the areas falling in the Nine-Dash line. The UNCLOS does not recognize the group of continental shoals, reefs in the Spratly Islands collectively to generate maritime zones. The PCA further ruled that China violated the obligations of maritime safety under the Article 94 of UNCLOS. The arbitral tribunal also gave verdict that the Thomas Shoal and Mischief Reef and its adjacent continental maritime features are well within the 200 nautical miles range on Philippines and formulates its EEZ.
This is standard operating procedure for the Chinese, of course. Use all the Global Agencies and bodies to force the world to allow China to go unchecked while simultaneously ignoring those very same agencies and bodies when they find China at fault.

edited to add my source for the quote..

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/08/19/s ... -the-seas/
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:More doom and gloom dude. I used to think like that when I was a teenager during the Cold War. It's not so bad now, you need to chill out and stop prophesying such terrible outcomes. Life will never be perfect but there's no need to keep going down the Armageddon route.
You’re absolutely correct.
I got depressed for months as a teenager after watching ‘Dead Poets Society.’ With the purpose of life is to die and become worm food.

I shall strive to think more positively.
Thank you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You're good dude. I know it's difficult but just keep the chin up and be positive, we'll get through all this together.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I am reminded of this poem, it always cheers me up

by Roger McGough
Everyday,
I think about dying.

About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war,