Current Status of Unaccounted-for Americans Lost in the Vietnam War (Cambodia)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Current Status of Unaccounted-for Americans Lost in the Vietnam War (Cambodia)

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Researching around for Cambodia -MIA info this morning, i just bought this >>

"This book is based on the story of an ill-fated, five-man U.S. Army Ranger Long-Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP, pronounced “lurp”) missing in action in Cambodia in 1970 and the rescue mission that followed.
It is not the definitive history of the units involved, nor is it meant to be construed as the “official” version of what happened at the time. Instead, it is a war story told from the perspective of many of those who took part in the fighting."

It looks like a minute by minute description of the whole operation. Good to get the feel, and the details.
But probably will not give much insight into the broader MIA story. Maybe some hints on the general policy and protocols of the Americans when the different Missing casses occurred.
lol. I'm going to have to fight my way thru a lot of hand-to-hand combat to glean that stuff. It looks like a real action movie.

Should be interesting. 10 bucks au to my Kindle.
MIA Rescue; LRRP in Cambodia
Jorgenson, Kregg p.j .
Nanook
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Current Status of Unaccounted-for Americans Lost in the Vietnam War (Cambodia)

Post by Nanook »

emm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:17 pm Interesting Headline: Current Status of Unaccounted-for Americans Lost in the Vietnam War (Cambodia)
I met Guys like this on the Bus to Saigon that were drafted when they were 17 !! Their Trauma followed them like a shadow and they couldn't stop talking about it.
That is questionable as you didn't register for the draft until you were 18.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 am Yes, it did end rather abruptly. Her book isn't quite as clear or damning about Ieng Sary, it seems she was kept in the dark during that time and it took a while to join the dots.
I read her book “Beyond the Horizon” (i think i still have it but it’s in my other other place). Frankly speaking, and without wanting to come across discourteous, it’s poorly written and she is/was clearly delusional. Tremendously gullible woman who seemed to be perfectly fine with what went on around her, even justifying it. Ended with a “oh well, didn’t work... better luck next time”
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Nanook wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:14 am
emm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:17 pm Interesting Headline: Current Status of Unaccounted-for Americans Lost in the Vietnam War (Cambodia)
I met Guys like this on the Bus to Saigon that were drafted when they were 17 !! Their Trauma followed them like a shadow and they couldn't stop talking about it.
That is questionable as you didn't register for the draft until you were 18.
that was a big deal living in md, as when you turned 18 u got ur draft card an with that could go to a bar and drink
:beer3:
17 year olds would not have one
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atkins, k
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by atkins, k »

You will never convince me otherwise. The USA knowing left POWs in SEA prisoner of war camps. Look into it, Kerry and McCain ran interference on any sort of investigation and controlled opposition Bo Gritz, fuck that guy, was the perfect moron to muddy the waters and discredit any legit claim by his carnival barking and sheer incompetence.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atkins, k wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:05 am You will never convince me otherwise. The USA knowing left POWs in SEA prisoner of war camps.
What course of action would you have advised? The US congress and public were burned out on Vietnam. The Mayaguez Incident showed that once the communist forces had gotten dug in, like they had on Koh Tang, there weren't going to be any Rambo extractions happening.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

atkins, k wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:05 am You will never convince me otherwise. The USA knowing left POWs in SEA prisoner of war camps. Look into it, Kerry and McCain ran interference on any sort of investigation and controlled opposition Bo Gritz, fuck that guy, was the perfect moron to muddy the waters and discredit any legit claim by his carnival barking and sheer incompetence.
Hey AK,
In my amateur scrolling around i came across no reliable or feasible reports of any POW's alive in Cambodia in 1975. KR history and modus operandi tend to back that up.
But there were more than a few idiots like Gritz and serial liars this bloke, Scott Barnes
https://www.loc.gov/item/powmia/pwmaster_98860/

However there are also a number of reports like this in Embassy/Intell communications during the conflict.
I tend to think that no western POWs were kept alive by the KR for long - certainly not after '75 (but am willing to be convinced otherwise)
https://www.loc.gov/item/powmia/pwmaster_12508/
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Sample

JULY 1970 CAPTURE OF THREE AMERICAN PRISONERS OF WAR
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000036567.pdf

POW CAMPS FOR ALLIED PRISONERS IN CAMBODIA SUBORDINATE TO THE CENTRAL OFFICE
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000013211.pdf

THREE POWS SEEN IN HONG NGU DISTRICT, KIEN PHONG PROVINCE, ENROUTE TO CAMBODIA
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000013922.pdf

MOVEMENT OF AMERICAN PRISONERS THROUGH CAMBODIA
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000009833.pdf

NO U.S. SOLDIERS IN CAMBODIA (1991. "Cambodian officials report...")
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000107290.pdf
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Further on Gritz, - if anybody still gives him credence apart from Westmorland - a man infamous for his catastrophically wrong assessments of everything.
General Westmoreland in his memoir, A Soldier Reports, cites Bo Gritz as "The" American Soldier.

In more than 200 pages of his autobiography, Gritz portrays an eight-year, heroic search carried out in the face of political and more sinister opponents.
But Washington Times reporter Susan Katz Keating, in her 1994 book Prisoners of Hope: Exploiting the POW/MIA Myth in America, paints a very different picture.

Keating depicts Gritz as "an inveterate publicity hound ... a man who has toyed with human lives while in pursuit of his goals."
Armed with funding from backers including Texas billionaire Ross Perot, she says Gritz exaggerated his exploits and alleged government backing, used such questionable methods as employing a psychic to describe an alleged POW camp, and even abandoned one of his men in Laos.

As you say KA, he caused heaps of grief to many good people with his MIA delusions.
- and then he went on to become an even bigger catastrophe on the Patriot Nutter front
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... cumstances

...on a gravel driveway near here, lying next to his GMC pickup truck with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his chest.
But somehow, Gritz, a man who has bragged for decades of his well-honed ability to kill, had missed the target.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I don't believe the Khmer Rouge would bother to keep POWs alive. It's thought that they had a number of journos imprisoned near Kratie for some time but killed them after the Vietnamese invasion. But there is little proof go this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic