Kids Vaccinations?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Kids Vaccinations?

Post by Patcan »

I have also heard bad things about Khema....Kind of like a status symbol place and for the who's who....But if you have money to burn and want an elite place and My kid was born at Khema and the recommended C section cost $5000....and so on
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

When we had our first child I asked my doctor in the US about vaccines - he said just make sure they have been stored correctly.

So, we use Bangkok Hospital Siem Reap. I was told they have a backup generator and proper storage. I can't speak to the national program other than the one decent pediatrician we had briefly (before she left) said that the national program doesn't provide all shots that the CDC recommends - whether or not that is true I can't comment on.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Stuck in traffic delivering on your moto or tuk tuk...Quick stop for a beer and a game of cards...
Finally get there and the girl on her phone says park the package here...1/2hour later gets put in the fridge....
Let's see...who do we have to get vaccinated today at 100$ a pop....
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just a quick question - where are the vaccines mainly from, are they donations from other countries?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:58 am Just a quick question - where are the vaccines mainly from, are they donations from other countries?
-------------

Every vaccine our kids have gotten have appeared to have been from the manufacturer. - haven't see anything on boxes or vials indicating it was from a non-profit or UN agency etc. They even put one of the labels into the vaccine book that contains name/ lot#/manufacture date/expiry date etc. So I fully expect they are purchasing either from the manufacturer or through a major drug distributor.

At the children's hospital here I would assume that at least some of the vaccines are donated or purchased at great discount.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rockyboy612 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:24 pm
rockyboy612 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:12 pm
Patcan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 pm I recommend the National Pediatric Hospital on Russian Blvd....
I think it cost 5$ or $2.50 to register and $2.50 for each vaccination shot... After 19 months I think we are on the 10th shot or so..We get them to stamp the maternity clinic book and the yellow book they provide...
Anyone have any actual experience on this for their kids?
We've tried different private clinics, most would push you away if they can't provide the same brand vaccine (which I guess make's sense)

Royal Hospital does a decent job, a shot can range from 60usd to 300 usd (because some months the vaccine book requires like 2 different shots)
Khema although expensive and popular did not give us any good experience -- i would recommend to stay away (it's almost a scam to go there)
Deluxe Ratana clinic - at toul kork is with a pair of doctors from Royal -- vaccines there are not as expensive but basically the same thing
How can a clinic 'not give you a good experience' with a vaccination? A quick scan, a shot, and on your way, eventually with an appointment for the second shot.

I have good experiences with Khema. I totally forgot about a second shot (cocci) two years after the first one but they called me to remind me.
Sounds like i hit a nerve about Khema, lol
Just imagine going to Khema getting a shot for your child for 200usd then when you asked, is my kid gonna have a fever? what medicine should I give him? Response would be "oh ... ummmh yeah, it's better to ask the pharmacy" from the supposedly DOCTOR.
Yes, that's a bad experience. Which Khema was it?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Patcan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:50 pm Stuck in traffic delivering on your moto or tuk tuk...Quick stop for a beer and a game of cards...
Finally get there and the girl on her phone says park the package here...1/2hour later gets put in the fridge....
All legal medications are provided by the same licensed company in Cambodia, you will find their sticker on each and every (legal) box. They have a pretty comprehensive network.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TWY wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:03 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:58 am Just a quick question - where are the vaccines mainly from, are they donations from other countries?
-------------

Every vaccine our kids have gotten have appeared to have been from the manufacturer. - haven't see anything on boxes or vials indicating it was from a non-profit or UN agency etc. They even put one of the labels into the vaccine book that contains name/ lot#/manufacture date/expiry date etc. So I fully expect they are purchasing either from the manufacturer or through a major drug distributor.

At the children's hospital here I would assume that at least some of the vaccines are donated or purchased at great discount.
Sometimes COVAX provides branded vaccines for free.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:14 pm
Patcan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:50 pm Stuck in traffic delivering on your moto or tuk tuk...Quick stop for a beer and a game of cards...
All legal medications are provided by the same licensed company in Cambodia, you will find their sticker on each and every (legal) box. They have a pretty comprehensive network.
I don't doubt that by any means, the company you may talk of, has full control of what is available to buy in the country, and also what pharmacy will get what to sell. You could say it's a little bit like regulating the flow of nessasery drugs to the people who depend on them. But in most cases it is not, example - my lady needs two daily drugs and can't break the cycle, I can get from only 3 pharmacists, Phnom Penh, Kampong Cham and Koh Kong. But, all it takes is someone to fall out of favor.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:14 pm
I don't doubt that by any means, the company you may talk of, has full control of what is available to buy in the country, and also what pharmacy will get what to sell. You could say it's a little bit like regulating the flow of nessasery drugs to the people who depend on them. But in most cases it is not, example - my lady needs two daily drugs and can't break the cycle, I can get from only 3 pharmacists, Phnom Penh, Kampong Cham and Koh Kong. But, all it takes is someone to fall out of favor.
AFAIK pharmacies are free to buy any drug out of the ones available, but some drugs are so low in demand they're not on offer in smaller places. I live in the Northeast but depend on Phnom Penh for some drugs as well.
On the other hand, if I would name the drugs on this forum probably 99% of the readers wouldn't have a clue what they were for.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic