Kids Vaccinations?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Kids Vaccinations?

Post by Patcan »

ImageImage
NPL and Clinic vaccination books.
NiceGuyLou
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by NiceGuyLou »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:05 pm

The prices quoted are only for Khmer kids and only for the vaccinations in the national vaccination program. if you want more than that you need to have deep pockets and can go to the private clinics. Think Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, HPV, meningococci, etc etc. Count on 100-150 per shot in that case.
His mom is Cambodian is that good enough? Or will be he charged foreigner price?

He just needs the standard baby shots.

Pasteur Institute website says it's the country's "only international vaccination centre" so I'm a little confused I guess.

What's the best place to go, not just the cheapest. If they go to the Hospital will they be waiting outside all day for shots just to save a few dollars? Or save no dollars or get kicked out if the staff sees the kid is half white?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rockyboy612 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:12 pm
Patcan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 pm I recommend the National Pediatric Hospital on Russian Blvd....
I think it cost 5$ or $2.50 to register and $2.50 for each vaccination shot... After 19 months I think we are on the 10th shot or so..We get them to stamp the maternity clinic book and the yellow book they provide...
Anyone have any actual experience on this for their kids?
We've tried different private clinics, most would push you away if they can't provide the same brand vaccine (which I guess make's sense)

Royal Hospital does a decent job, a shot can range from 60usd to 300 usd (because some months the vaccine book requires like 2 different shots)
Khema although expensive and popular did not give us any good experience -- i would recommend to stay away (it's almost a scam to go there)
Deluxe Ratana clinic - at toul kork is with a pair of doctors from Royal -- vaccines there are not as expensive but basically the same thing
How can a clinic 'not give you a good experience' with a vaccination? A quick scan, a shot, and on your way, eventually with an appointment for the second shot.

I have good experiences with Khema. I totally forgot about a second shot (cocci) two years after the first one but they called me to remind me.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

NiceGuyLou wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:21 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:05 pm

The prices quoted are only for Khmer kids and only for the vaccinations in the national vaccination program. if you want more than that you need to have deep pockets and can go to the private clinics. Think Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, HPV, meningococci, etc etc. Count on 100-150 per shot in that case.
His mom is Cambodian is that good enough? Or will be he charged foreigner price?

He just needs the standard baby shots.

Pasteur Institute website says it's the country's "only international vaccination centre" so I'm a little confused I guess.

What's the best place to go, not just the cheapest. If they go to the Hospital will they be waiting outside all day for shots just to save a few dollars? Or save no dollars or get kicked out if the staff sees the kid is half white?
If her mom is Cambodian she's Khmer and she can get the shots in the program for free at any health center, or at a surcharge in a clinic.
NiceGuyLou
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by NiceGuyLou »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:25 pm
If her mom is Cambodian she's Khmer and she can get the shots in the program for free at any health center, or at a surcharge in a clinic.
Thanks. Will she need to bring his birth certificate as proof do you think?

He needs 4 shots, DTAP, polio, HepB, etc.

So is it free at the national hospital and around $300 - $400 at a clinic? If so I'll send her to the hospital. Or is it a smaller surcharge for a Khmer kid at a clinic vs. a totally foreign kid paying $90-$100 a shot at a clinic?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

NiceGuyLou wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 pm

So is it free at the national hospital and around $300 - $400 at a clinic? If so I'll send her to the hospital. Or is it a smaller surcharge for a Khmer kid at a clinic vs. a totally foreign kid paying $90-$100 a shot at a clinic?
Check the yellow booklet you were given at birth, all the vaccinations in there are supposed to be free. There's a print of one of those yellow booklets in this thread just a click away.
NiceGuyLou
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by NiceGuyLou »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:33 pm
NiceGuyLou wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Check the yellow booklet you were given at birth, all the vaccinations in there are supposed to be free. There's a print of one of those yellow booklets in this thread just a click away.
He was born abroad and is in Cambodia on a K-visa ATM. I know what ones he needs I just don't know if he can get them free at the hospital or what they cost at the clinic. Maybe I'll just have my wife call around.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

5$ registration (get the Khmer mother to do it)..$2.50 per vaccination....Bring your the clinic book where your child was born...I did not show a birth certificate....Waitng time 15 minutes maximum....This is not a free clinic where you could be waiting hours...
Ifif your kud is sick....10$ fast tracked to see a doctor...Again 15 minutes waiting time maximum...Medicine was included in my only visit for that at no extra charge..
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:24 pm
rockyboy612 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:12 pm
Patcan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 pm I recommend the National Pediatric Hospital on Russian Blvd....
I think it cost 5$ or $2.50 to register and $2.50 for each vaccination shot... After 19 months I think we are on the 10th shot or so..We get them to stamp the maternity clinic book and the yellow book they provide...
Anyone have any actual experience on this for their kids?
We've tried different private clinics, most would push you away if they can't provide the same brand vaccine (which I guess make's sense)

Royal Hospital does a decent job, a shot can range from 60usd to 300 usd (because some months the vaccine book requires like 2 different shots)
Khema although expensive and popular did not give us any good experience -- i would recommend to stay away (it's almost a scam to go there)
Deluxe Ratana clinic - at toul kork is with a pair of doctors from Royal -- vaccines there are not as expensive but basically the same thing
How can a clinic 'not give you a good experience' with a vaccination? A quick scan, a shot, and on your way, eventually with an appointment for the second shot.

I have good experiences with Khema. I totally forgot about a second shot (cocci) two years after the first one but they called me to remind me.
Sounds like i hit a nerve about Khema, lol
Just imagine going to Khema getting a shot for your child for 200usd then when you asked, is my kid gonna have a fever? what medicine should I give him? Response would be "oh ... ummmh yeah, it's better to ask the pharmacy" from the supposedly DOCTOR.
NiceGuyLou
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by NiceGuyLou »

Patcan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm 5$ registration (get the Khmer mother to do it)..$2.50 per vaccination....Bring your the clinic book where your child was born...I did not show a birth certificate....Waitng time 15 minutes maximum....This is not a free clinic where you could be waiting hours...
Ifif your kud is sick....10$ fast tracked to see a doctor...Again 15 minutes waiting time maximum...Medicine was included in my only visit for that at no extra charge..
OK great. You mean a $5 registration at the hospital, I assume? Not some other kind of foreign birth registration?

I'll have her bring a printout of his pediatric shot records from back home. We don't have a book. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic