A Chinese restaurant has gone viral for its searingly honest dish descriptions: 'This one is not that good'

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Chinese restaurant has gone viral for its searingly honest dish descriptions: 'This one is not that good'

Post by Clutch Cargo »

While many restaurants try and entice diners with overstated descriptions of their food, one restaurant owner has taken a distinctly different approach by lowering customers’ expectations. Aunt Dai Chinese restaurant in Montreal, Canada, recently went viral for owner Feigang Fei’s dish descriptions on the website.

Highlights of the menu, which features both authentic and North American Chinese dishes, include:

“Comparing to our General Tao Chicken, this one is not THAT good,” Fei’s comment on Aunt Dai’s orange chicken reads. “Anyway, I am not big fan of North American Chinese food and it’s your call.”

“This one is NOT authentic Chinese food,” reads the description of black pepper shrimp.

For the sweet and spicy pork strips, Feigang wrote: “Since I have so high expectation on this dish, I am not a huge fan for our version to be honest.”

“This dish is very well-known and we are not 100% satisfied with the flavour now and it will get better really soon,” Fei wrote of the “mouth-watering chicken.”

He continued: “P.S. I am surprised that some customers still order this plate. In my opinion, our Sichuan Pepper Chicken Salad is better than this one.”

The restaurant owner told Insider he decided to add the descriptions about five years ago, having opened Aunt Dai in February 2014.

“At the beginning, a lot of the food on our menu was authentic, traditional Chinese, and from the names, a lot of the customers were surprised that the dishes were too spicy, too greasy, or having bones, so they didn’t touch the dish and it was a total waste,” Fei said.

And that’s when he came up with the idea of adding descriptions to the menu online. Fei started with 5-10 items, but his customers found them so helpful that he wrote more.

Fei then took things one step further by creating videos of each dish and posting them on YouTube, so customers could see the food before ordering.

Full: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/chin ... ons-2021-1