Have most Cambodians been to Angkor Wat?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Thailand2Cambodia
Tourist
Thailand

Have most Cambodians been to Angkor Wat?

Post by Thailand2Cambodia »

I once asked someone in Cambodia if he had ever been to Bangkok and he laughed and said no like it was a ridiculous question he said he had no money.

I have been thinking . . . have most Cambodians even been to Angkor Wat? Or is that something that they can't afford or don't spend the time and money to do?

Thanks
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Have most Cambodians been to Angkor Wat?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Difficult to say about most Khmer. I think those that those that can afford the trip have been to Angkor Wat. Missus and her family live in the province so they’ve been there many times. Even took photos there.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The entry to the Angkor Wat park is free for Cambodians, but not everyone has enough money to make the trip to Siem Reap or to pay for a place to stay.
If you ask most Cambodians I think they would all like to go there at least once. ( That's the opinion I got based on people I know - I haven't asked "most Cambodians".)
I went there once with a Khmer friend who had never been there before. It was fun. He was blown away and took about 100 selfies to post to his friends.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:44 am The entry to the Angkor Wat park is free for Cambodians, but not everyone has enough money to make the trip to Siem Reap or to pay for a place to stay.
If you ask most Cambodians I think they would all like to go there at least once. ( That's the opinion I got based on people I know - I haven't asked "most Cambodians".)
I went there once with a Khmer friend who had never been there before. It was fun. He was blown away and took about 100 selfies to post to his friends.
I've never believed the old ot mien lot excuse.
I think it also means, I'm not interested, I can't be bothered or I'd rather spend the money on a new iPhone.
Maybe?.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I took a prostitute who I met at Heart Of Darkness there. She had been before. Hope this helps you come to a conclusion.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Khmu Nation wrote:I took a prostitute who I met at Heart Of Darkness there. She had been before. Hope this helps you come to a conclusion.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have never met a Cambodian who did not want to go to Angkor Wat, and I think its fair to say that most Cambodians have either been to or want to visit Angkor Wat. Obviously I have not met "most Cambodians" and the only way to tell for sure would be to have a national survey. Angkor Wat is after all the symbol of their country and there is a lot of national pride in it. Some go there regularly during their holidays. I think also there is a lot of disquiet about this proposal to build an Entertainment City so close to Angkor Wat - even to me it seems disrespectful. Personally I do not see why they could not it build over on the Eastern side towards the new airport.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am
Khmu Nation wrote:I took a prostitute who I met at Heart Of Darkness there. She had been before. Hope this helps you come to a conclusion.
ImageImageImageImage
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took a prostitute there, whom I met at Heart of Darkness

Come on Khmu Nation, don't let the side down...
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

I’ve known rural Cambodians who have not been to Angkor Wat.

Also I’ve had what seems like a dozen Khmer tell me they haven’t been somewhere only to later see old photos of them in those destinations years before. Or they let it slip later that they had visited. A lot of Cambodians when asked will tell you they have never visited a place with the hopes that you will take them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you are British, have you been to the tower of London? The same can be said for a French man, have you been to the Eiffel Tower?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic