Have most Cambodians been to Angkor Wat?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Have most Cambodians been to Angkor Wat?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AndyKK wrote:If you are British, have you been to the tower of London? The same can be said for a French man, have you been to the Eiffel Tower?
British people have to pay to get into the tourist attractions in London

No, but Me and my family had a walk around London once though Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Have most Cambodians been to Angkor Wat?

Post by John Bingham »

Kohker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:50 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:44 am The entry to the Angkor Wat park is free for Cambodians, but not everyone has enough money to make the trip to Siem Reap or to pay for a place to stay.
If you ask most Cambodians I think they would all like to go there at least once. ( That's the opinion I got based on people I know - I haven't asked "most Cambodians".)
I went there once with a Khmer friend who had never been there before. It was fun. He was blown away and took about 100 selfies to post to his friends.
I've never believed the old ot mien lot excuse.
I think it also means, I'm not interested, I can't be bothered or I'd rather spend the money on a new iPhone.
Maybe?.
You obviously have a very narrow experience in Cambodia if you believe that. There are a large number who struggle just to make ends meet and never go anywhere.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:44 am The entry to the Angkor Wat park is free for Cambodians, but not everyone has enough money to make the trip to Siem Reap or to pay for a place to stay.
If you ask most Cambodians I think they would all like to go there at least once. ( That's the opinion I got based on people I know - I haven't asked "most Cambodians".)
I went there once with a Khmer friend who had never been there before. It was fun. He was blown away and took about 100 selfies to post to his friends.
I think it also means, I'm not interested, I can't be bothered or I'd rather spend the money on a new iPhone.
Maybe?.
You obviously have a very narrow experience in Cambodia if you believe that. There are a large number who struggle just to make ends meet and never go anywhere.
But that remark could mean anyone who is in the same situation in any country or nationality.
Jamie maybe joking with his response, no but me and my family had a walk around London.
But the fact is we do pay for our attractions, also it's not a cheap experience. But we could go round and round the subject all day.
I see possibly more who could afford in Cambodia then I see more that can't in the UK.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am
AndyKK wrote:If you are British, have you been to the tower of London? The same can be said for a French man, have you been to the Eiffel Tower?
British people have to pay to get into the tourist attractions in London

No, but Me and my family had a walk around London once though Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you by chance take the tour of London in an open air bus like Johnny Rotten did? That looks like loads of fun!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Never done that, I imagine it would be a little pricey, also it would be worth taking the brolly, you know the changeable English weather.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:46 am Never done that, I imagine it would be a little pricey, also it would be worth taking the brolly, you know the changeable English weather.
Yes damn straight. Rains every day, does it?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:27 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:53 am
Maybe?.
But that remark could mean anyone who is in the same situation in any country or nationality.
Jamie maybe joking with his response, no but me and my family had a walk around London.
But the fact is we do pay for our attractions, also it's not a cheap experience. But we could go round and round the subject all day.
I see possibly more who could afford in Cambodia then I see more that can't in the UK.
no i wasnt joking, it was in 2003 when david blaine was in living in the box for 44 days,
we are a family of five so just the train tickets to london cost too much, we did go on the london eye though, but that was the only attraction we could pay for, Londons not cheap, were only working class, parents got bills to pay
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Why bother with Wats when you can put a down payment on a Lexus. Never mind that it will be repo'ed next month. And if you think the Cambodians don't have money, just imagine Cambodians vacationing in London.
Last edited by Marty on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrabbyBobby
Tourist

Post by CrabbyBobby »

Johno35 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 am

Also I’ve had what seems like a dozen Khmer tell me they haven’t been somewhere only to later see old photos of them in those destinations years before. Or they let it slip later that they had visited. A lot of Cambodians when asked will tell you they have never visited a place with the hopes that you will take them.
A dozen? All hookers?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

CrabbyBobby wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:09 am
Johno35 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 am

Also I’ve had what seems like a dozen Khmer tell me they haven’t been somewhere only to later see old photos of them in those destinations years before. Or they let it slip later that they had visited. A lot of Cambodians when asked will tell you they have never visited a place with the hopes that you will take them.
A dozen? All hookers?
Well I certainly hope so. Hookers just love it when you take them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic