Affordable Dentist

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Affordable Dentist

Post by Doc67 »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 am I just got a response from Labelle its $350 max for a crown and $30 to $60 for a root Canal. My current dentist is japanese and of course shes good but a bit pricey. I was quoted $180 for root canal redo and $550 for crown. I got some other fillings that were about 70 to 110 if im not mistaken per each.
Does the $180 for root canal include the 'post' upon which the crown is mounted? If it's a front tooth they can grind and shape the tooth to be the post, but a rear one will, I think, require a post to be fitted and the crown mounted on that.

My root canal was about $100 and the post another $120.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:35 am
Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am Hey guys looking for an affordable dentist. Current dentist in Phnom Penh is quoting me $550 for a Zirconium crown which seems a bit expensive. Does anyone know a more affordable place that wont wreck my teeth? thanks ive heard of roomchang but of course that is also expensive.
That sounds about right. If it is a front tooth you will want the zirconium base. Also, the cost one element. Getting is made properly so it fits without too much grinding at the back to adjust with your bite is important.

I have been through the mill lately with dental work, got some much needed work done. I learnt that it is not just the quality of dentist, but the quality of the technician who makes the crown in the first place. I have a good Spanish dentist, but the technician was a wanker. The first internal (Upper left 4) crown was rejected outright by the dentist and unusable, the second needed a fair bit of adjustment.

The first front tooth crown was the wrong colour, despite the technician being in the room when the colour was chosen (he is their own in-house technician) and the second one needed a fair bit of grinding at the rear. If they grind too far they breach the smooth coating and leave the slightly rough base. It is annoying but I am learning to live with it.

I like my dentist but if I ever need another crown I will tell them I am going elsewhere.
Damn straight. I think that technician was drunk. Or still is. And it's the dentist's fault for letting him get away with it. Go elsewhere.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 am I just got a response from Labelle its $350 max for a crown and $30 to $60 for a root Canal. My current dentist is japanese and of course shes good but a bit pricey. I was quoted $180 for root canal redo and $550 for crown. I got some other fillings that were about 70 to 110 if im not mistaken per each.
Choose the higher priced one. Better quality. Imaging how much you've saved by not paying excess baggage anyway.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Marty wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:11 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:35 am
Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am Hey guys looking for an affordable dentist. Current dentist in Phnom Penh is quoting me $550 for a Zirconium crown which seems a bit expensive. Does anyone know a more affordable place that wont wreck my teeth? thanks ive heard of roomchang but of course that is also expensive.
That sounds about right. If it is a front tooth you will want the zirconium base. Also, the cost one element. Getting is made properly so it fits without too much grinding at the back to adjust with your bite is important.

I have been through the mill lately with dental work, got some much needed work done. I learnt that it is not just the quality of dentist, but the quality of the technician who makes the crown in the first place. I have a good Spanish dentist, but the technician was a wanker. The first internal (Upper left 4) crown was rejected outright by the dentist and unusable, the second needed a fair bit of adjustment.

The first front tooth crown was the wrong colour, despite the technician being in the room when the colour was chosen (he is their own in-house technician) and the second one needed a fair bit of grinding at the rear. If they grind too far they breach the smooth coating and leave the slightly rough base. It is annoying but I am learning to live with it.

I like my dentist but if I ever need another crown I will tell them I am going elsewhere.
Damn straight. I think that technician was drunk. Or still is. And it's the dentist's fault for letting him get away with it. Go elsewhere.
I reckon high quality technicians are thin on the ground here. The dentist did reject the first crown right away. I have a feeling they know he is not the best in the business, but he is in-house so probably the cheapest and quickest way to get their requirements fulfilled, even if there is a bit of wastage.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

For what it may be worth, my recommendation is to go as a private patient to the Pouthisastra University Faculty of Dentistry where the Dean of Dentistry is New Zealand Professor Callum Durward.

OML
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Ot Mean Loi wrote:For what it may be worth, my recommendation is to go as a private patient to the Pouthisastra University Faculty of Dentistry where the Dean of Dentistry is New Zealand Professor Callum Durward.

OML
Do they have fully qualified dentists there OML?

I thought they only offered discount dentistry because the work is done by student dentists.
I'm happy to get a haircut from a trainee, but not so sure about significant dental work. You can't really go far wrong with a cheap scale and polish or filling but root canal work??? I'd be wary.

Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Your observation is partially correct. But a seventh year dental student is, in effect, a practicising dentist, aligned if you like to the medical internship year that a graduate doctor has to undergo before being licenced to "fly solo" as a General Practitioner.

I have spent time at the Puthisastra University Dental Faculty assisting visiting overseas NGO Dental Practitioners and all spoke highly of the quality of work of the final year dental students.

But hey, any of the medical sciences and practices require potential patients to be entirely within their own personal comfort zone.

I have also paid for extensive corrective/remedial dental work at Roomchang. Their work is very good but it is also very expensive. But you get what you pay for and top, modern medical and dental equipment is very expensive.

OML
Last edited by Ot Mean Loi on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Ot Mean Loi wrote:Your observation is partially correct. But a seventh year dental student is, in effect, a practicising dentist, aligned if you like to the medical internship year that a graduate doctor has to undergo before being licenced to "fly solo" as a General Practitioner.

I have spent time at the Puthisastra University Dental Faculty assisting visiting overseas NGO Dental Practitioners and all spoke highly of the quality of work of the final year dental students.

But hey, any of the medical sciences and practices require potential patients to be entirely within their own personal comfort zone.

OML
Good to know. Cheers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Smile dentist, st 184 corner st 19.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:59 pm For what it may be worth, my recommendation is to go as a private patient to the Pouthisastra University Faculty of Dentistry where the Dean of Dentistry is New Zealand Professor Callum Durward.

OML
Okay i may considder it. do you have a specific person in mind there?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic