Trapped Chinese miners alive. Day 8

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Trapped Chinese miners alive. Day 8

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Gold miners in China trapped underground for eight days send note to elated rescuers

At least 12 gold miners trapped hundreds of metres underground in China for more than a week have sent up a note warning that they are injured, surrounded by water and urgently in need of medicine.
After days without any signs of life, rescuers heard knocking sounds on Sunday afternoon as they drilled through the mine's shaft.
A note was sent up on a line from the depths below saying that at least a dozen of the miners were still alive, but that they urgently needed help as their health deteriorates.

Rescuers were later able to speak with some of the trapped workers after lowering a phone line into the mine, local officials said on Monday.
The rescuers also sent food and drinks attached to a wire down a small opening to the miners.

Hopes of a miracle rescue after a days-long ordeal triggered an outpouring of sympathy and encouragement on Chinese social media. etc..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-19/ ... s/13068948

apparently the company did not notify authorities of the accident until 30 hours later (another report)
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Trapped Chinese miners alive. Day 8

Post by techietraveller84 »

That is the kind of hellish thing I think about each time I enter a cave or a long, long tunnel. The thought of dying a slow, wet, dark death deep underground is a terrifying. And to think thousands of miners have suffered that same fate over the centuries makes me shiver.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Trapped Chinese miners alive. Day 8

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

meanwhile, in the Workers Paradise...

One of 22 workers trapped in China gold mine rescued
January 24, 2021 — 3.13pm

Beijing: Rescuers in China have lifted to the surface one of 22 workers trapped for two weeks after an explosion in a northern gold mine, state media reported.
Reports said the worker was in a weak condition but no other details were given. State broadcaster CCTV on Sunday showed ambulances parked alongside engineering vehicles at the mine in Qixia, a jurisdiction under Yantai in Shandong province.

Rescuers are in contact with 10 of the workers who were in the mine when an explosion ripped through on January 10 while it was still under construction.

One other worker is reported to have died while the fate of 11 others is unknown. The shaft is reportedly blocked 350 metres below the surface by 70 tonnes of debris. Rescuers have drilled additional shafts for communication, ventilation and evacuation of survivors.

Authorities have detained mine managers for delaying reporting the accident for more than 24 hours. The cause of the explosion has not been announced.

Surviving workers had been provided with a nutrient solution, but rescuers are now able to provide regular food and drink, along with clothing and other supplies, state-run Xinhua News Agency reported.

Increased supervision has improved safety in China’s mining industry, which used to average 5000 deaths per year. However, demand for coal and precious metals continues to prompt corner-cutting, and two accidents in Chongqing last year killed 39 miners.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic