Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Bottom line is the system is set up so strict as to fail foreigners presumably so they pay to try again. No Khmer are testing at the new out of town centre. A highly accomplished driver would be hard pushed to complete the parking manoeuvres in the narrow space provided. Moreover on the reverse parking you’d be unable to open your car door and the parallel parking hard pushed to get within 25cm of the curb. The stats including retakes were about 30% pass on the theory and 0% on the practical! If you go through a driving school, apparently $400 is the magic number. Conclusion don’t waste your money and stick with the 1 year license.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I've heard quite the contrary.

Did you bomb the driving test then?
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:26 pm I've heard quite the contrary.

Did you bomb the driving test then?
Is it snowing where you are?
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

I disagree. My friend and I both passed easily on the first try... and I think it cost around $30, but may have been a bit more. There is an app that makes it really easy to study the question part of the test.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

khmerinade wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:51 am I disagree. My friend and I both passed easily on the first try... and I think it cost around $30, but may have been a bit more. There is an app that makes it really easy to study the question part of the test.
The cost is 50$ so I guess you did a while back. There is a new test center exclusively for foreigners.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm parallel parking hard pushed to get within 25cm of the curb.
Are you required to be within that 25cm immediately on the first turn, or are you allowed to go back and forth a couple of times?
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:46 pm
chinesetakeaway wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm parallel parking hard pushed to get within 25cm of the curb.
Are you required to be within that 25cm immediately on the first turn, or are you allowed to go back and forth a couple of times?
First time.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm
khmerinade wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:51 am I disagree. My friend and I both passed easily on the first try... and I think it cost around $30, but may have been a bit more. There is an app that makes it really easy to study the question part of the test.
The cost is 50$ so I guess you did a while back. There is a new test center exclusively for foreigners.
Chinesetakeaway, you say there is a new test center exclusively for foreigners. Can you tell us more about it and where it is? Also is it for the driving tests of cars and motorcycle?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I was going to organise my 10 year license on this trip, but other things have interrupted plans.

I find it mildly amusing that such a standard is expected when the average local driver here can’t find the pavement or parking space without a baton waving maniac, and once they have found the pavement, park (I hesitate to say squarely) on it rather than close to it.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I predict that the new strict regime will soften once the numbers of applicants has dwindled sufficiently.
Worth avoiding for a while.
Thanks to OP for the heads up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic