Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

Post by khmerhamster »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:35 am
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 am Chinesetakeaway is being a bit sensationalist.
There are other threads on here and TOF detailing the process.

Some people pass, many fail admittedly but many of those who fail, justifiably fail.

I got 40/40 in my exam, because I prepared for it.
I failed my practical cos i clipped a boundary marker on one of the manoeuvres. It isn't technically difficult. I would have breezed it in my own car, but in the camry i wasnt used to the size of the car and i couldn't adjust the mirrors.
On the reverse park, i was told i wasn't close enough and given a chance to get closer.
If you speak Khmer the instructors will chat with you and explain what is going on.

I did my motorbike test at the same location on same day.
Everyone who did the test on the day I tried failed. How is that sensationalist? Why don’t go and pollute another thread with your dribble...
Your posts on this are full of exaggerations.
It isn't set up for everyone to fail. The test isn't even that difficult.
On my day 50% of the people taking it who failed were woefully unprepared for it and failed for the most basic of things.
There are some frustrating features for sure, but the 10 year license is worth having and isn't as difficult to get as you portray.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:28 am
chinesetakeaway wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:35 am
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 am Chinesetakeaway is being a bit sensationalist.
There are other threads on here and TOF detailing the process.

Some people pass, many fail admittedly but many of those who fail, justifiably fail.

I got 40/40 in my exam, because I prepared for it.
I failed my practical cos i clipped a boundary marker on one of the manoeuvres. It isn't technically difficult. I would have breezed it in my own car, but in the camry i wasnt used to the size of the car and i couldn't adjust the mirrors.
On the reverse park, i was told i wasn't close enough and given a chance to get closer.
If you speak Khmer the instructors will chat with you and explain what is going on.

I did my motorbike test at the same location on same day.
Everyone who did the test on the day I tried failed. How is that sensationalist? Why don’t go and pollute another thread with your dribble...
Your posts on this are full of exaggerations.
It isn't set up for everyone to fail. The test isn't even that difficult.
On my day 50% of the people taking it who failed were woefully unprepared for it and failed for the most basic of things.
There are some frustrating features for sure, but the 10 year license is worth having and isn't as difficult to get as you portray.
When did you take the test?
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

The test has nothing to do with your ability to drive. You won't get out of first gear. You are not allowed to pay to practice in the manual car only automatic. There is nothing difficult other than the parking so being prepared would mean being able to park in tight spaces with no mirrors. If this qualifies you to drive in Cambodia then so be it but I see it for what it is, a money grab from foreigners. Call me cynical. Aside the examiners will instruct you how to use the poles for navigating when parking during the practice. This does help but with limited mirrors it's still difficult in the tight spaces.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

If I remember correctly you’re not supposed to use mirrors. Just look behind and line up the red tape inside the car rear pillar with the pole outside.

If you did the practice they will show you how to do it. Not strange but it works.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

whatwat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 pm If I remember correctly you’re not supposed to use mirrors. Just look behind and line up the red tape inside the car rear pillar with the pole outside.

If you did the practice they will show you how to do it. Not strange but it works.

Same as the UK test ; supposed to shoulder check and look back when reversing into a space, as mirrors can not always be trusted

But in the youkay they don't have cheat tape inside the car to make it easy
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:51 pm
whatwat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 pm If I remember correctly you’re not supposed to use mirrors. Just look behind and line up the red tape inside the car rear pillar with the pole outside.

Same as the UK test ; supposed to shoulder check and look back when reversing into a space, as mirrors can not always be trusted

But in the youkay they don't have cheat tape inside the car to make it easy
Can’t remember that far back. :beer3:

Just making a point that mirrors are not used so to say it’s a scam because you can’t adjust them in incorrect.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic