Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why you shouldn’t try to get a 10 year driving license!

Post by nerdlinger »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:46 pm
chinesetakeaway wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm parallel parking hard pushed to get within 25cm of the curb.
Are you required to be within that 25cm immediately on the first turn, or are you allowed to go back and forth a couple of times?
First time.
That’s bizarre, even the UK test lets you manoeuvre until you’re in, and it’s one of the stricter ones.
Does anyone have access to the marking scheme that can confirm if this is the official requirement or whether it’s just some corrupt test proctor hoping for a handout?
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Like many of the rules regarding barangs, it is designed as intended, to raise revenue from barangs, not to determine whether or not one can drive a car. Most of the barang applicants can probably drive better than the examiners.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Thanks Chinese take away, for the heads up.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes, thanks Chinesetakeaway, I have noticed a rider's group on facebook asking members to inform the group if anyone passed their test at the new center. Up to now no one.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:04 am
chinesetakeaway wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm
khmerinade wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:51 am I disagree. My friend and I both passed easily on the first try... and I think it cost around $30, but may have been a bit more. There is an app that makes it really easy to study the question part of the test.
The cost is 50$ so I guess you did a while back. There is a new test center exclusively for foreigners.
Chinesetakeaway, you say there is a new test center exclusively for foreigners. Can you tell us more about it and where it is? Also is it for the driving tests of cars and motorcycle?
It down highway 5 about 20 mins out of town. I didn’t see any motorcycles parked. The theory seems to be 40 random questions from a body of 60. Some of the Chinese got full marks which suggests they knew the questions especially since some of the answers were nonsense. (Keep left sign had no ‘left’ in the choices). But It would be easy to flick through all the questions on your monitor and record it on your phone. The practical all hinges on the parking. You can practice for 20$ an hour given directly to the examiners who will guide you to park using the poles and hand signals. In the absence of their help it’s surely a 1/10 chance at best you’ll get both parking manoeuvres correct especially as you’re required to take the test in the Camry’s provided with minimal mirror adjustments allowed. Both times I went I saw no Khmer taking the test only foreigners, mainly Chinese.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Chinesetakeaway is being a bit sensationalist.
There are other threads on here and TOF detailing the process.

Some people pass, many fail admittedly but many of those who fail, justifiably fail.

I got 40/40 in my exam, because I prepared for it.
I failed my practical cos i clipped a boundary marker on one of the manoeuvres. It isn't technically difficult. I would have breezed it in my own car, but in the camry i wasnt used to the size of the car and i couldn't adjust the mirrors.
On the reverse park, i was told i wasn't close enough and given a chance to get closer.
If you speak Khmer the instructors will chat with you and explain what is going on.

I did my motorbike test at the same location on same day.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 am Chinesetakeaway is being a bit sensationalist.
There are other threads on here and TOF detailing the process.

Some people pass, many fail admittedly but many of those who fail, justifiably fail.

I got 40/40 in my exam, because I prepared for it.
I failed my practical cos i clipped a boundary marker on one of the manoeuvres. It isn't technically difficult. I would have breezed it in my own car, but in the camry i wasnt used to the size of the car and i couldn't adjust the mirrors.
On the reverse park, i was told i wasn't close enough and given a chance to get closer.
If you speak Khmer the instructors will chat with you and explain what is going on.

I did my motorbike test at the same location on same day.
Everyone who did the test on the day I tried failed. How is that sensationalist? Why don’t go and pollute another thread with your dribble...
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Not being able to adjust the mirrors is a pretty good indication that its a racket
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

If they let everyone adjust the mirrors (some don’t work anyway) they wouldn’t get everyone done in time.

I did mine and then the foreigners were in the afternoon. Most (Chinese) failed, including me!
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This thread has taught me that none of you guys can reverse parallel park within 25cm of a kerb, lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic