Used Book stores

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Used Book stores

Post by Anchor Moy »

Funny that it was easier to find second-hand books in English in Cambodia ten years ago than it is now. Sihanoukville had three or even four bookstores for foreigners at one time - those were the days. AFAIK, there are none left in Sihanoukville now.

Kampot has a good second-hand book shop which is run by some very nice people in the old market area, just up from riverside. That's still good. I'm not sure what is left in Phnom Penh these days - is Bohr's Books still open ? Good people too. Way back,there was a great cafe in Kratie run by a US book enthusiast - Red Sun Falling Cafe, but Joe moved back to Chicago, so that's gone now - hey Joe, how's things ? In Banlung Rattanakkiri, Cafe Alee was also a good place to find decent books, and Banlung Balcony Guesthouse also used to have a book-swap for guests and visitors.

What about elsewhere ? Do people here have names of good bookshops, or cafes or guesthouses which buy and sell books in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang, or wherever else in Cambodia ? If so, please post, because despite the internet and kindle, some of us are always on the hunt for real books.

Real books in foreign languages (second-hand in English, French, German) are getting more difficult to find in Cambodia, so please spread the word if you have found a good spot to find books anywhere in Cambodia. Book readers unite ! :director:
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 pm Funny that it was easier to find second-hand books in English in Cambodia ten years ago than it is now. Sihanoukville had three or even four bookstores for foreigners at one time - those were the days. AFAIK, there are none left in Sihanoukville now.

Kampot has a good second-hand book shop which is run by some very nice people in the old market area, just up from riverside. That's still good. I'm not sure what is left in Phnom Penh these days - is Bohr's Books still open ? Good people too. Way back,there was a great cafe in Kratie run by a US book enthusiast - Red Sun Falling Cafe, but Joe moved back to Chicago, so that's gone now - hey Joe, how's things ? In Banlung Rattanakkiri, Cafe Alee was also a good place to find decent books, and Banlung Balcony Guesthouse also used to have a book-swap for guests and visitors.

What about elsewhere ? Do people here have names of good bookshops, or cafes or guesthouses which buy and sell books in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang, or wherever else in Cambodia ? If so, please post, because despite the internet and kindle, some of us are always on the hunt for real books.

Real books in foreign languages (second-hand in English, French, German) are getting more difficult to find in Cambodia, so please spread the word if you have found a good spot to find books anywhere in Cambodia. Book readers unite ! :director:
D`s Bookstore in PP has been around for some years and had stores in SR (just around the corner of Pub Street, now closed due to monster rent) and one in Kampot (closed now not enough turnover). The selection and quality of the books is outstanding IMHO. There was also a little coffeshop at the back where you could hang around and have a close look into the books before buying. Highly recommended.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:thumb: ^ Thanks. So the only D's bookstore left is in PP ? And is still open ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 pm Funny that it was easier to find second-hand books in English in Cambodia ten years ago than it is now.
Reading books is not as popular as it was before screens became so ubiquitous. There aren't so many people passing through anymore either so the market has shrunk. I never liked D's, couldn't find anything in there. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:13 pm :thumb: ^ Thanks. So the only D's bookstore left is in PP ? And is still open ?
judging the FB page it looks open.

work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

lagrange wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:55 am Books? Made from trees? Save the forests and move into the 21st century with an e-reader.
:stir: Hey, tree-hugger ! We are talking about recycling books that are already published and printed on paper. Move into the 21st century and recycle your books, so others may indulge in the pleasure of real books. The books are done and printed now, and if they don't get passed on to read, they will be used to light fires. :head shot:

As an aside, I am trying to get my young nieces to read fun kids books in English. There is no reading culture in Cambodia, but their Mum is a teacher who can read to them in English, so that helps to encourage the children to read books. If I find kids' books in Khmer, then I pass them on as well. They love their books. (And at 4 and 6 years, both kids speak enough English to understand and be understood. Both parents are Khmer.) Books rock. ;-)
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:11 am
lagrange wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:55 am Books? Made from trees? Save the forests and move into the 21st century with an e-reader.
LOL:

i LOve books but its just gotten to dam expensive to buy them .

Been an avid ebook reader for more than 5 years and using
https://libgen.is/, https://z-lib.org/
can find just about every book i desire :beer3:
Another good site is ebook-hunter.org and of course Mobilism, although one may find oneself straying into the realms of Jack Sparrow, since the sites also have books published in the very recent past.
And regarding a previous comment about passing paperbacks on to others, if someone has an e-reader it is simple to send an ebook file by email once its been read, just like any other computer file.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

truffledog wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:34 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:13 pm :thumb: ^ Thanks. So the only D's bookstore left is in PP ? And is still open ?
judging the FB page it looks open.

yeah i went there to pic up a book today, bought a book as a gift for a khmer friend
messaged them on facebook and they were very helpful
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's good news, I always liked Bohr's.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:50 pm
:stir: Hey, tree-hugger ! We are talking about recycling books that are already published and printed on paper. Move into the 21st century and recycle your books, so others may indulge in the pleasure of real books. The books are done and printed now, and if they don't get passed on to read, they will be used to light fires. :head shot:

As an aside, I am trying to get my young nieces to read fun kids books in English. There is no reading culture in Cambodia, but their Mum is a teacher who can read to them in English, so that helps to encourage the children to read books. If I find kids' books in Khmer, then I pass them on as well. They love their books. (And at 4 and 6 years, both kids speak enough English to understand and be understood. Both parents are Khmer.) Books rock. ;-)
I could have taken the 'tree hugger' call as a semi gratuitous insult, but instead I revel in the acknowledgement of my love for those woody creations and yes I have hugged many trees, but sadly without a return of affection which I put down to their natural distrust of the human race. As a previous post said, we raise them only to cut them down for our literary pleasures, like the cattle we breed for our table.
Regarding getting kids to read, the book itself is less important than the written word which conjures worlds inside our brains, and so it follows like night follows day that a cheap tablet would be more in tune with today's generational reality and would be a better vehicle to thrill and inspire our children to explore the vast world of literature. Here endeth the lesson.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic