Used Book stores

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Used Book stores

Post by Khmu Nation »

Kindle is good but they just don't do it like an actual book
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:52 am Kindle is good but they just don't do it like an actual book
And these new fangled mobile phones with their tiny keypads aint a patch on the old landline dials. Joking aside, ereaders (kindle is one, you can even download and read ebooks on any tablet) are resource efficient and planet friendly, and once you get used to it you will never go back to a clunky lump of cardboard and paper. I bought mine many years ago when I was doing a lot of long haul flying, tired of trying to read in the dark and carrying extra baggage. Also ebooks are usually a fraction of the price of hardbacks and paperbacks, and can be downloaded from sites like Amazon within seconds.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:06 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:21 am You didn't mention what city you are in...if in PP, then D's Books and Bohrs Books.
Unfortunately Bohr's has been closed for a few months.
I saw someone ask that on FB yesterday, but it wasn't confirmed by anyone. It can't have been closed for a few months though because I went there in December, couple days before we met up at Harry's, to stock up on books. Is it permanently closed, or is it possible just reduced trading days/hours?

Thanks for the info yes it was closed when I stopped yesturday.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I have a kindle and I also still buy paper books. I agree kindle is excellent for immediate access to any book you decide to buy, they are cheaper than real copy and absolutely great for when you are living out of a suitcase and travelling around.

But that's where the plus points end.

You can't make any notes on the pages when reading a more academic book, due to having a whole library on kindle and being able to purchase at will you soon find you have a dozen books on the go and your finish the book hit rate drops even lower than paper books and when you do finish the book there is no bookshelf to slide it into and occasionally refer to in the future.

Regarding saving the planet. Well that might be for you. Personally I am not too fussed. Que sera, sera.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

lagrange wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:55 am Books? Made from trees? Save the forests and move into the 21st century with an e-reader.
Yes, good point.
The better quality books have no wood in them and are entirely made of plastic. They survive much better and photos look much nicer.
I suppose plastic is not great either but at least books are unlikely to be gumming up the bellies of marine species.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:04 am I have a kindle and I also still buy paper books. I agree kindle is excellent for immediate access to any book you decide to buy, they are cheaper than real copy and absolutely great for when you are living out of a suitcase and travelling around.

But that's where the plus points end.

You can't make any notes on the pages when reading a more academic book, due to having a whole library on kindle and being able to purchase at will you soon find you have a dozen books on the go and your finish the book hit rate drops even lower than paper books and when you do finish the book there is no bookshelf to slide it into and occasionally refer to in the future.

Regarding saving the planet. Well that might be for you. Personally I am not too fussed. Que sera, sera.
There’s good arguments for both, I own a Kindle and it is fantastic not having to carry the kilos of books I did when I was traveling, and for reading at night without attracting millions of insects, but I do like/need to be able to flick back through pages as I read sometimes to check details, remind myself on characters/plots etc. not so easy with the Kindle.
I’d hate to have lost as many Kindles as I have paper books, leaving them in seat pockets and on cafe chairs.
Don’t forget, when you’re finished reading a paper book you can pass it or sell it on to someone else, they can hang around for years/centuries to be read by countless people, Kindles etc. not so much.
As for saving the planet, is that not debatable? Sustainable/recyclable (wood pulp) resource against what’s involved in producing electronic devices and producing the power for them.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

An oasis of culture in a desert of depravity; Canterbury Tales in Pattaya.

When you walk in it smells like an old library from your earliest memories.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

lagrange wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:55 am Books? Made from trees? Save the forests and move into the 21st century with an e-reader.
LOL:

i LOve books but its just gotten to dam expensive to buy them .

Been an avid ebook reader for more than 5 years and using
https://libgen.is/, https://z-lib.org/
can find just about every book i desire :beer3:

I started out with kindle, but when it died i now use an asus 7" tablet with the kindle app.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

The majority of paper production uses trees specifically grown for that purpose, if they were not used in paper production they wouldnt be planted in the first place.
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

The smell of old paper books is wonderful, you just can't beat it. My book case at home, is full, all alphabetically ordered, about 120 of them. I could perv on them all day, if I had the time. When we go travelling, I go to second hand book shops, buy good cheap ones, then leave them when we leave, so other people can enjoy them as well. I have a kindle, but just could not get into it 📚📖😊
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic