Travel with dual citizenship

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Travel with dual citizenship

Post by Bubble T »

I realize this is almost certainly a dumb question but I just want to be absolutely sure to avoid any last minute disasters: My son has British and Cambodian passports with no visas in either. We will be traveling from here (PP) to England. Am I correct in understanding that he doesn't need an exit visa? Presumably he can just check out with his Cambodian passport and check in with his UK passport when we arrive? Thanks in advance.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Travel with dual citizenship

Post by Username Taken »

If he's checking out with a Cambodian passport, I'm pretty certain that he will need an exit visa.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am If he's checking out with a Cambodian passport, I'm pretty certain that he will need an exit visa.
why?

gf and others i have known, have gotten a passport and just departed with a clean, empty passport

at Check in, you need show them the UK passport ( proving he does not need a visa) and Cambodian passport
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A friend left Cambodia within the last year with his child - Cambodian born. He has a UK Passport, the child has UK passport only, with a K Visa. He had to leave the country with the child's mother travelling as well, for the first time the child left the country on the UK passport with him.

The 3 of them went to Bangkok for 3 days and then returned. A few months later he left the country with the child but without the mother and there were no issues.

This maybe because the father could obtain a UK passport for the child and then abscond with the child without the mothers consent. This is just conjecture though.

1. Is this the first time you are leaving with your child and 2. will you be accompanied by the mother?
If the answer is yes and no, you should make further enquiries into this issue.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Oops, my apologies. I was thinking of a non-Cambodian passport.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 am 1. Is this the first time you are leaving with your child and 2. will you be accompanied by the mother?
Yes, it will be the three of us and yes, it will be our first time traveling abroad since he was born.

My understanding is that a Cambodian doesn't need an exit visa to leave Cambodia on a Cambodian passport. The question was more whether he can use one passport to check out of Cambodia and another to check in when we get to England. Google suggests that he can, but that we have to make sure his UK passport number is the one on the ticket to show he's allowed in the destination country. I just felt a bit unsure and was hoping to find out from someone who's done it.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If departing on Cambodian passport there is no need for an Exit Visa. Upon return will need to also enter on Cambodian passport or his passport will be still be recorded as outside the country.

And yes, you can leave Cambodia on the Cambodian passport and then enter the UK on the UK passport. When departing UK, depart on UK passport and re-enter Cambodia on Cambodian passport. Simple.

When you check-in, just present both passports to the check-in staff so that they know a Visa is not required. Will receive Departure Tax refunded also, as Cambodian Citizens are not required to pay it.

However, if you want to obtain a K-type Visa, then you should get an Exit Visa for the foreign passport, then obtain the K-type Visa from a Cambodian Embassy, then re-enter Cambodia on the foreign passport upon return to activate the K-type Visa.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 am A friend left Cambodia within the last year with his child - Cambodian born. He has a UK Passport, the child has UK passport only, with a K Visa. He had to leave the country with the child's mother travelling as well, for the first time the child left the country on the UK passport with him.
He would have had to have gotten an exit visa in that case, you can only get the K visa when entering/ re-entering the country and should bring the birth cert.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:13 am you can only get the K visa when entering/ re-entering the country
During normal times the K-type Visa can be obtained on arrival or from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate in advance....due to current restrictions, there are NO Visas being issued on arrival, the only way to obtain the K-type Visa currently is from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate.
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:29 am I realize this is almost certainly a dumb question but I just want to be absolutely sure to avoid any last minute disasters: My son has British and Cambodian passports with no visas in either. We will be traveling from here (PP) to England. Am I correct in understanding that he doesn't need an exit visa? Presumably he can just check out with his Cambodian passport and check in with his UK passport when we arrive? Thanks in advance.
Flight should be booked on British Passport - Shown when at check in. Put away there after and produced again in the UK. Leaves Cambodia on the Cambodian passport. Nothing to it and I've never had an issue either side.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic