Travel with dual citizenship

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Travel with dual citizenship

Post by Jerry Atrick »

GusKnocks wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:04 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:14 pm
However, should he get the old passport back and present it upon arrival with the new passport the K visa within the old passport should be acceptable to passport control, - for example when I got a new passport lately my visa was in the old one - so I simply took both passports with me on my first trip using my new passport.

The problem isn't presenting it on arrival and being rejected.

The problem is being denied boarding because the child possesses no valid unexpired visa for Cambodia.
If I read correctly, the child already has a valid K visa in the old passport. K visa does not expire.

So my post should still be valid advice
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:14 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:36 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:18 am Your friend was fed a load of bullshit...there is no law/requirement that the mother has to travel with the child for the first time.
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if she was behind it. They separated some time ago and relations are very bad. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that she just wanted a free trip to Bangkok, as Machiavellian as that sounds.

He reads this forum and knows about this thread. I wonder if he is beginning to realise what has happened?
UPDATE...

His problems just get worse. He applied for a new UK Passport for his child in the UK, the old one is getting close to expiry but would have been good for a return trip. When he got it he took the new passport to the Cambodian Embassy in London and asked them for a K-Visa in the new passport, as per the child's K-Visa in the old passport.

NO! They won't issue a K-Visa without the mother being present - this mother business has reared it's head again.

They said he would have to get an additional letter from his employer stating that they want his daughter to come with him, and then they will Issue her a visa - an ordinary visa I assume. The child is 6 years old.

I have been told that the K-Visa's 'follows' the person from the old passport to the new one automatically. A Khmer guy with a Canadian passport told me that.

Should he just chance it and book a flight with the child having a new UK passport without a visa but with a cancelled UK passport with a K-Visa in it?
Doesn't sound right. My kids mother wasn't with me when I obtained both my kids' K Visas. She wasn't terribly far away, but the issuer wouldn't have known that. Provided he has the necessary documents showing mum is Khmer it should be processed. Sometimes this crap happens with power tripping desk jockeys.

However, should he get the old passport back and present it upon arrival with the new passport the K visa within the old passport should be acceptable to passport control, - for example when I got a new passport lately my visa was in the old one - so I simply took both passports with me on my first trip using my new passport.
The airlines will not permit the person to check-in or board the flight without a valid visa. If the previous passport is expired, so is the K-type Visa, as K-type Visas are issued for the lifetime of the passport. If the previous passport has not actually expired and a new one was obtained for other reasons, ie. old one was full, then the Visa will still be valid

There is no requirement for the mother to be present, the previous K-type Visa and birth certificate should be sufficient supporting documentation. Tell your friend to submit the application for the K-type visa via courier so that they don't see his white face, include as much documentation as possible ie. Birth cert, family book and/or Carnet de Residence, previous passport with K-type visa.

If you want the WhatsApp number for the new Consular first secretary who issues Visas at the Embassy in London, send me a PM.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:10 pm
If I read correctly, the child already has a valid K visa in the old passport. K visa does not expire.

K-type Visa are only issued for the lifetime of the passport, the expiry date is the same as the passports expiry date.

Previously, up until about 2014/15, they were issued for life, however this was changed due to all of the confusion it caused airlines who couldn't comprehend that the Visa was valid for life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:14 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:36 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:18 am Your friend was fed a load of bullshit...there is no law/requirement that the mother has to travel with the child for the first time.
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if she was behind it. They separated some time ago and relations are very bad. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that she just wanted a free trip to Bangkok, as Machiavellian as that sounds.

He reads this forum and knows about this thread. I wonder if he is beginning to realise what has happened?
UPDATE...

His problems just get worse. He applied for a new UK Passport for his child in the UK, the old one is getting close to expiry but would have been good for a return trip. When he got it he took the new passport to the Cambodian Embassy in London and asked them for a K-Visa in the new passport, as per the child's K-Visa in the old passport.

NO! They won't issue a K-Visa without the mother being present - this mother business has reared it's head again.

They said he would have to get an additional letter from his employer stating that they want his daughter to come with him, and then they will Issue her a visa - an ordinary visa I assume. The child is 6 years old.

I have been told that the K-Visa's 'follows' the person from the old passport to the new one automatically. A Khmer guy with a Canadian passport told me that.

Should he just chance it and book a flight with the child having a new UK passport without a visa but with a cancelled UK passport with a K-Visa in it?
Doesn't sound right. My kids mother wasn't with me when I obtained both my kids' K Visas. She wasn't terribly far away, but the issuer wouldn't have known that. Provided he has the necessary documents showing mum is Khmer it should be processed. Sometimes this crap happens with power tripping desk jockeys.

He has no documents with him relating to the mother. He assumed that a K-Visa (K = Khmer) was a lifelong thing and once Khmer status was proved it was granted for life. Now it seems the London Embassy are saying New Passport = New Visa = new proving process. Whether they are right or wrong, this is what is happening.

I bumped into my Khmer friend last night - he with the Canadian passport and excellent English - and told him of the problem. He said the Embassy are correct, No K-Visa without the mother, but he did reiterate that some passport agencies inform the Cambodian authorities that a new passport has been issued and that it should be updated on their records as being owned by a K-Visa holder. His new Canadian passport is accredited with K-visa status automatically. He also aid that the U.S., for example, do not inform anyone, so you have to get it physically updated upon your next arrival, so it is not guaranteed.

Maybe the UK Passport Authority provides a similar service and the passport is already updated, but without a physical stamp I can see big problems getting allowed aboard.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:00 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:10 pm

K-type Visa are only issued for the lifetime of the passport, the expiry date is the same as the passports expiry date.

Previously, up until about 2014/15, they were issued for life, however this was changed due to all of the confusion it caused airlines who couldn't comprehend that the Visa was valid for life.
Hang on, this could be the solution.

The old passport was not expired, it just seemed prudent to get a new one for the child while in the UK. The actual 'expiry' date is in the future and the K-visa will expire on that date.

Does the K-visa get cancelled because the old passport has been cancelled prior to their fixed expiry date for the purposes of replacement? Or is the K-visa still valid irrespective of the fact that the passport it is in had been replaced by a new one?

Or is it valid for the lifetime of the passport or the expiry date, whichever comes first?
GusKnocks
Tourist
United States of America

Post by GusKnocks »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 am

Maybe the solution is to get the child on a plane to Cambodia and ask for K visa on arrival. That can't be done now though.

Without a new K visa in a valid passport, I don't think the child gets on the plane.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The solution is to PM PSD-Kiwi for the WhatsApp number for the new Consular first secretary who issues Visas at the Embassy in London.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 am The solution is to PM PSD-Kiwi for the WhatsApp number for the new Consular first secretary who issues Visas at the Embassy in London.
I already have it. The new broom is the problem. The old broom that left the Embassy was the solution.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 am [

The old passport was not expired, it just seemed prudent to get a new one for the child while in the UK. The actual 'expiry' date is in the future and the K-visa will expire on that date.

Does the K-visa get cancelled because the old passport has been cancelled prior to their fixed expiry date for the purposes of replacement? Or is the K-visa still valid irrespective of the fact that the passport it is in had been replaced by a new one?

Or is it valid for the lifetime of the passport or the expiry date, whichever comes first?
As I said in my previous post, if the old passport is not yet expired and they have obtained a new one for other purposes ie. pages are full, then neither is the K-type Visa (as long as there is an expiry date annotated on the Visa), therefore it is still valid to travel on, just need to present both passports.

However, if the K-type Visa was issued before they started putting expiry dates on them, then it is not valid for travel. Airlines will not accept.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

GusKnocks wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:57 am
Maybe the solution is to get the child on a plane to Cambodia and ask for K visa on arrival. That can't be done now though.

Without a new K visa in a valid passport, I don't think the child gets on the plane.
Visas on Arrival have been suspended since March last year, that includes K-type Visas. Airlines will not allow any passenger to check-in/board flights to Cambodia without the pax having a valid visa.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic