Travel with dual citizenship

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Travel with dual citizenship

Post by nemo »

My understanding is that a Cambodian doesn't need an exit visa to leave Cambodia on a Cambodian passport. The question was more whether he can use one passport to check out of Cambodia and another to check in when we get to England.
Exactly right.
I do not see what circumstances a K type visa would be required for a Cambodian passport holder.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

IMO opinion there is no need to get a K-type Visa if the kid has a Cambodian passport, although I have done so for mine as it's nice to have options.

Some people feel that their children will be better looked after by their Embassy in the event of an emergency if their kids are in Cambodia with a K-type Visa.
VascoDeGrandma
Tourist
Portugal

Post by VascoDeGrandma »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 am He had to leave the country with the child's mother travelling as well, for the first time the child left the country on the UK passport with him.

Did he get stopped by immigration and refused access to plane the first time when trying to leave with the child and without the mom?

Can this be overcome by having the mom write a letter or go the airport and say she is OK with the child leaving?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

VascoDeGrandma wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:22 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 am He had to leave the country with the child's mother travelling as well, for the first time the child left the country on the UK passport with him.

Did he get stopped by immigration and refused access to plane the first time when trying to leave with the child and without the mom?

Can this be overcome by having the mom write a letter or go the airport and say she is OK with the child leaving?
There's no law about this in Cambodia.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
VascoDeGrandma
Tourist
Portugal

Post by VascoDeGrandma »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Though Doc67 says his friend couldn't leave the first time with the child and without the wife.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I'd be curious to hear more about this.

There may be no 'law' but all it takes is some uninformed airport immigration official, at passport control, demanding to see a letter from the mother to fuck up your whole itinerary.

I traveled with my daughter to the US on her US passport without the wife going. Prior to being able to get an exit visa we were told by the immigration office opposite the airport, that we needed a letter drafted by a lawyer and signed by my wife stating that she was allowing me to take my child on a trip.

Not sure if we would have needed to have a permission letter signed by mom.....if my daughter was leaving on a Cambodian passport.

At the time she only had a US passport.

If she was leaving on a Cambodian passport without mom, would we still have needed to show some sort of letter at passport control in the airport?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:08 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 am 1. Is this the first time you are leaving with your child and 2. will you be accompanied by the mother?
Yes, it will be the three of us and yes, it will be our first time traveling abroad since he was born.

My understanding is that a Cambodian doesn't need an exit visa to leave Cambodia on a Cambodian passport. The question was more whether he can use one passport to check out of Cambodia and another to check in when we get to England. Google suggests that he can, but that we have to make sure his UK passport number is the one on the ticket to show he's allowed in the destination country. I just felt a bit unsure and was hoping to find out from someone who's done it.
Check out of Cambodia on Cambodian passport.
Check into UK with UK passport.

Check in with airline using Cambodian passport, but show UK passport as well. You will get a refund on airport tax. After leaving Cambodia, only show UK passport.

Did it a million times, although the UK passport was EU passport in my case.

No problems whatsoever. Just don't show the other passport on either side.

<edited for possible confusion caused in initial post...>
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Thanks for all the responses. Will follow the advice here and update the thread on how it goes. Cheers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Brody wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:25 pm

I'd be curious to hear more about this.
It was something I was concerned with the first time I took my kid home, so I checked the laws. It's only a law in certain countries, and I was somewhat concerned as we were transiting through Charles de Gaulle Airport and there is a law about it in France, and I believe in Canada too. It wasn't an issue. Forgetting that France is a time-zone behind Ireland was a slight issue as we nearly missed our flight.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:08 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 am 1. Is this the first time you are leaving with your child and 2. will you be accompanied by the mother?
Yes, it will be the three of us and yes, it will be our first time traveling abroad since he was born.

My understanding is that a Cambodian doesn't need an exit visa to leave Cambodia on a Cambodian passport. The question was more whether he can use one passport to check out of Cambodia and another to check in when we get to England. Google suggests that he can, but that we have to make sure his UK passport number is the one on the ticket to show he's allowed in the destination country. I just felt a bit unsure and was hoping to find out from someone who's done it.
My friend read my post and texted me. There is a correction regarding the K Visa, otherwise it is an accurate account of his experience.

He told me that he was told by the immigration officer at the office opposite the airport that he wouldn't be allowed to leave the country with his child without the mother for the first time. The mother had to be with them and hence the short trip to Bangkok.

Upon return from Bangkok the child's passport was then accredited with a K Visa.

When he left the country with his child for the second time, bound for the UK and without the mother, the immigration guy at the airport went through the child's passport until he found a previous exit and entry stamp, whereupon he then stamped the passport with another exit stamp and asked nothing about the whereabouts of the mother,

@Bubble T, as you are leaving the country with the child's mother, this is not going to affect you. Have a pleasant trip.

However, it is an issue for people who leave with their country in the circumstances I set out, so visit the office opposite the airport before travel and check what the latest regulations are.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic