Cambodia cannot wait any longer

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
karl.timpany
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia cannot wait any longer

Post by karl.timpany »

Chinese vaccine for the China virus. I'm not sceptical at all.....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:50 am
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:35 am (AstraZenica)
If it turns out to be 90% effective it'll clearly be the best candidate for countries like Cambodia (based on cost and storage temp)
Tim said it first. ^^^
Even if it turns out less than 90% effective, AstraZenica seems the obvious best choice for Cambodia.
Cheap as chips and no big distribution dramas.
Available too, a number of countries are already producing it themselves under licence.

Factors
Sinovacs is panning out around 50% effective it seems. (but it may turn out higher - like AstraZenica's 64%)
Sinovacs costs around US$13. AZ about $4.
China also wants to use theirs as a goodwill PR tool and a symbol of their ascendancy.

So, AstraZenica is the obvious best choice for Cambodia
but Sinovac will obviously be the only choice.
If I was in charge of Astra Zenica I would raise the price to $15 immediately. They are clearly missing a trick here. (I would give the extra profits to the poor, of course.)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:13 pm I can see a time when the better vaccines are offered only to those that can afford it, yet with no way of knowing just what's really being injected into your arm.
Yup. Even the UK hasn't been free of fake vaccines, dread to think how bad it'll be in developing countries. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55680856
There is almost no way to be sure that any vaccine you receive in Cambodia is not a fake. We know they have access to about 1m Sinopharm shots and they will be closely guarded.

As for the western ones, unless we hear from the WHO that shipments have begun to arrive in Cambodia, everything else will be fake. They are making them now in Chinese factories in readiness for the big push.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic