NKOTB & his Khmer Missus adventures in Texas

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: NKOTB & his Khmer Missus adventures in Texas

Post by Freightdog »

Cooldude wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:52 pm They sure put that up in a hurry. With the quality of construction labor in Texas, I wonder what the quality of the construction is like?
It’s a construction style that migrated to the UK, and used quite extensively, from what I can see. Back about 30years ago, I visited friends in Texas, and saw first hand what was being constructed next door to one fellas newly built home. His place was pretty good. It didn’t seem that big outside, but had a double garage, each room for his kids was a real room, and they had no technical problems with the house after moving in.

In the UK, 15 years ago I got convinced by my ex to buy a new build style by a large developer, and it cost a bloody fortune in repairs. The workmanship in constructing the main structure alone was terrible, as was later confirmed by various neighbours. Shoddy quality being the norm in the UK. The Uk construction industry, effectively self regulating, takes longer, to a low standard, with a good old fuck-you attitude.

I like solid bricks and mortar, but I also quite like the look of NK’s pad. I’d have had a cellar, though. And a pit. Extraction in the garage for exhaust gases. Probably some silencing, too. A 4 post lift, so you’d need headroom.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

@Doc67 pointed out those shelves need to be spaced correctly and not as they are now and I think most of us would agree. That top shelf would be lucky to fit a newspaper on and I have no idea why they designed it let alone installed it. If those shelves are that high you are going to have to get a decent step ladder in every cupboard for Mrs Newkidontheblock as she is about half your height and if you're struggling it will be worse for her.
It may also be the angle of the photos but the brackets themselves do not look like they have have been centered. The white undercoat around the brackets at the top means the cupboard hasn't been finished so if you can get them to change it now it will be a lot easier than when it's finished.
You probably already know but make sure you do a complete and very thorough walk around before signing off on the house and before any furniture is moved in. Better yet ask a friend or relative to do it with you or for you as they are more likely to notice problems if they have not been present during the build process. It is a lot easier to get things rectified before the builder leaves the site with your hard earned money in his hand.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:05 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:31 pm Why do they building western houses so darned tall?

307 cm from floor to ceiling. With closet shelving almost reaching the ceiling.
You might want to get the contractor to take a look at that, 3 shelves are fine, but a lot closer together and the top one at eye height - your eyes, not the 7ft galoot who fitted those shelves.

Storage for paintings and other thin stackable items that would otherwise be difficult to fit without being harmed or taking up unnecessary amount of space?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Exactly how much clearance?

It might accommodate a 12guage, laid flat. Winchester. Thompson sub-, but without a drum mag.
Glock/Sig. all roughly out of sight, but easily within reach with steps…
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:05 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:31 pm Why do they building western houses so darned tall?

307 cm from floor to ceiling. With closet shelving almost reaching the ceiling.
You might want to get the contractor to take a look at that, 3 shelves are fine, but a lot closer together and the top one at eye height - your eyes, not the 7ft galoot who fitted those shelves.

That’s the special shelf for storing his “mucky books” out of reach Mrs NKOTB’s prying eyes.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

We went there yesterday at 7 PM and workers were still busy at work, so no inspection. We With lights and fans, workers can keep working at all hours. The builder wants to close this month.

Yeah, issues have arisen from the fast pace.

Missus’s closet is ‘The Alamo’, where the safes will be kept. Saiga-12 s, Mossberg 500 s, AK-47 s. Sadly no Remington V4 tac. Remington filed for bankruptcy. But 12 gauge 00 Buck is a lot to control. A pistol may be better. Maybe the Python (nah, too valuable to use). Haven’t cleaned any of them in ages, Will have a porch to use and no prying eyes.

The kitchen island is huge. Double shower in the master. Closets that could house a couple of villager families. The Khmer jealously trait has already emerged on Facebook, unbelievable! Along with Khmer logic as well!

As for the garage, I would have liked the double to be closest to the main house then the single, but it is what the builder decided. Just like the outdoor master electrical box.

As for the blessing ceremony, any ideas? And where to put the Buddha s (the woven tapestry, the statue, and the little Buddha)? Will need to see if Serey Sophorn sells spirit houses. If not, the Khmer supermarket. Going there today. With a real house, incense can be burned (been using the battery powered incense altar with the flickering lights).
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

As for the blessing ceremony, any ideas? And where to put the Buddha s
In the Gun safe obvs
Handy for when the BLM, ANTIFA and afghanis come for you.
Show them the Buddhas and if they don't back off OPEN FIRE!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pm As for the blessing ceremony, any ideas? And where to put the Buddha s (the woven tapestry, the statue, and the little Buddha)? Will need to see if Serey Sophorn sells spirit houses. If not, the Khmer supermarket. Going there today. With a real house, incense can be burned (been using the battery powered incense altar with the flickering lights).
Indoors, Sino-Khmer style. Don't go putting any spirit houses outside or the good-ole boys will shoot them up for displaying pagan idolatry.

This one will freak out the neighbors (in Texas).

One I had a few years ago.

More here: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/real-esta ... een-things
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thanks for the advice on the spirit house.

Clothes from Cambodia arrived at the Khmer sausage lady’s house. Her daughter sells clothes.

After trying out so many outfits, she says, I’ll take the shirt (only).

Women are mysterious.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@NKOTB, re: Spirit House or no Spirit House; I would rather take my chances with the freedom loving good people of Texas than with the homeless spirit of the departed. You have rights man and the little lady does too, besides, it's khmaoch central down there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic