NKOTB & his Khmer Missus adventures in Texas

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: NKOTB & his Khmer Missus adventures in Texas

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Plenty of scope there for future new kid ankle biters :mrgreen:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I too was thinking, that's a rather large house for two. But then again if you can build it now, it maybe better then adding extensions when needed. By the way is there room and possibilities for her family to move over?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I am not a minimalist. I have one old car and deciding between 2 pick up truck choices for next year.

The house will have an upstairs master bedroom for my parents. There will room for the 2 kids, dog, and cat, as well as room for any guests.

Where do some members get the idea that I have 2 pick up trucks that aren’t even out yet?

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm The house will have an upstairs master bedroom for my parents.
So you and the wife are going to have one of the smaller bedrooms? :(
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:34 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:47 pm The house will have an upstairs master bedroom for my parents.
So you and the wife are going to have one of the smaller bedrooms? :(
TOLD YA :beer3:

Parents house an allowing him and hi wife to live there.
Come on NK, get a place of ur own .....man up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I quite like the size, to be honest.

A big garage is a must, if doing something like this. If it were me, it would have room for a lift and a pit! Not so easy if the base has already been set. That said, I’d probably have the garage as a separate building, with a studio over the top.
Room to work on a vehicle with the doors wide open without squeezing past- luxury.

Separate shower room.

I’d have a cellar, too. You need a decent hole for the quality hooch. These are the Authorised access only areas.

Internal parking for the primary vehicles.

In the main house- big master, own bathroom suite.
Potentially, my ideal home is a 4car garage with an apartment overhead.

And V8s and turbo’d I-5s galore!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Went to see the last space shuttle. NASA priorities were redirected from space exploration to reaching out to the Muslim world by Obama.

Fortunately, space exploration was back on the agenda with the next President.

Original Space X rocket.

Unfortunately due to virus, no tour of mission control or astronaut training.

Watches designed to be worn on the moon.

It was still a blast.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:08 pm I quite like the size, to be honest.

A big garage is a must, if doing something like this. If it were me, it would have room for a lift and a pit! Not so easy if the base has already been set. That said, I’d probably have the garage as a separate building, with a studio over the top.
Room to work on a vehicle with the doors wide open without squeezing past- luxury.

Separate shower room.

I’d have a cellar, too. You need a decent hole for the quality hooch. These are the Authorised access only areas.

Funny, when I think about someday retired back in Australia I to dream of the big house car and toys etc etc, but when living in Cambodia I'm trying to work out how to get a smaller suitcase for all my stuff, more thinking juice needed as I'm just going round in circles.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:01 am
Freightdog wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:08 pm I quite like the size, to be honest.

Separate shower room.

Funny, when I think about someday retired back in Australia I to dream of the big house car and toys etc etc, but when living in Cambodia I'm trying to work out how to get a smaller suitcase for all my stuff, more thinking juice needed as I'm just going round in circles.
I travel light, normally. My suitcase was heavy this time because it was full of toys, school books, and cheese. All of 17kg. Otherwise, it would normally struggle to go beyond 10kg.
But retirement, if I last that long, will be a chance to play with toys, tinker with cars and swing in hammocks.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:28 pm
Kammekor wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:47 pm
phuketrichard wrote:wish i could build with wood rather than bricks & steel
Bricks and steel make a a sturdier structure.

No one does that here because of the disadvantages.
Is a wooden house convenient in Texas' climate?
Wooden houses are convenient for the US in general.

1) shorter building times.

Wood doesn’t need set like concrete and it’s lighter than hauling bricks and steel. Brick face (1/3 to 1/4 brick) over stucco can give a brick look.

2) easier repair, remodeling, demolishing.

Once set, bricks and steel beams are difficult or impossible to move. No changing the interior structure after construction. Remodels, expansions, fixing pipes or moving wiring is a nightmare.

There are plenty of disadvantages, of course.
Still... Dealing with +40 and -10 (-20?) temperatures during one year wouldn't brick be much more convenient and energy efficient? Keeping this house warm in winter will be quite an effort, just like keeping it bearably cool during summer. Even when painted white.

Now I understand why the foundation could be that simple. A stone / concrete house would never survive on a foundation like that.
Pretty much all houses in North America are built like this. Some areas will use cladding on the exteriors and in some other (usually colder) climates they use brick exteriors. Depends on a few factors I suppose. However, for residential buildings, the structure is usually entirely made of wood. Goes up fast and makes it easy to wire/plumb, though obviously walls are drywall. There's been a huge surge this past year in lumber prices though, so I've heard it's quite difficult for builders to get good prices locked in. The US and Canada both have huge forestry industries that export all over the world, so I'm guessing that's how it all started vs masonry. The houses are all thoroughly insulated, and brick and mortar like here isn't very efficient at all when it comes to hot/humid weather (nor is it in cold climates). Think of houses here: they basically absorb the heat during the day and radiate it inside in the evenings. Horrible design.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic