What items are commonly available in your home country but not available in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tommywash
Tourist
United States of America

What items are commonly available in your home country but not available in Cambodia?

Post by Tommywash »

I am an American expat working in South Korea as an English teacher, and me and the wife (Korean) head back to the states in a month before I start a new job and adventure in Phnom Penh to teach there. We would like to take advantage of our trip home to buy or stock up on any items that we will be glad we get before we fly to Cambodia. Are there anythings you can all suggest we purchase in the US before we come there? We always cook at home and are glad to switch brands when we arrive but want to know if there are certain things we should be hoarding that we can't find or pay crazy premiums for there.

So what items do Americans take for granted that are inconvenient or expensive to obtain in Cambodia? From my friends who have already visited before, we have some ideas, such as our favorite knives, but we might be missing some others. Of course these could be irrelevant once we get to Cambodia!

And what are the best places to hang out with expats in Phnom Penh, Cambodia? The expat community is quite large so it must be an ideal place to meet people we assume, but we need help coming up with a list where we can meet long-term expats?

We are not big drinkers, but always up for some sundowners on what looks like a beatuful riverside area. Thanks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What items are commonly available in your home country but not available in Cambodia?

Post by Doc67 »

Women who say "thank you"...

As for foodstuffs, you will have to get your things from several different outlets or severely curtail your shopping habits. Nothing is a one-stop shop here. It is one of the worst aspects of living here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What items are commonly available in your home country but not available in Cambodia?

Post by Kammekor »

Stuff I always (used to) bring with me after a trip home:

Leather shoes my size.
Tooth picks in the right shape. I can't get used to the ones here.
Local candies.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Pretty much everything you need or want can be found in Cambodia, or ordered online. If not, adapt and overcome...learn to live without.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

You'll find the quality of both goods and service is lower in Cambodia. The variety is also much lower. The last time I had to leave the country to buy something was when I needed climbing shoes. I usually do loads of shopping when I get the chance just because shops are clean, comfortable and well organised in other countries.
Scarier than malaria.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Crack cocaine.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Good warranties, Spotify, PayPal, reasonably priced dairy goods.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Almost free, 10 year old, high performance luxury vehicles with tax and roadworthy cert
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Make sure to bring a few self-awarenesses and a pinch of responsability's sense, it's not like it's on every shelf. Oh and a pack of self-control just in case
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Learn to live without, or adapt to what is near to the items. Good lightbulbs and fittings now the Chinese items are dangerously on the market.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic