new fee for visiting thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

new fee for visiting thailand

Post by truffledog »

Falang welcome..you pay me 300 baht please..you pay now. Mai pen rai...

@ 40 million tourists its 40M USD per year or 1.2 Billion Baht

Another example of Thaiconomics..less tourists coming ? Get more milk from the ones who still come.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business ... l_referral
work is for people who cant find truffles
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: new fee for visiting thailand

Post by samrong01 »

The minister expects 10 million tourists this year? How exactly if the borders remain closed?
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

truffledog wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:24 am Falang welcome..you pay me 300 baht please..you pay now. Mai pen rai...

Another example of Thaiconomics..less tourists coming ? Get more milk from the ones who still come.

When i first started going to thailand you had to pay 500 bahtto leave the country.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Soriya wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:16 am
truffledog wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:24 am Falang welcome..you pay me 300 baht please..you pay now. Mai pen rai...

When i first started going to thailand you had to pay 500 bahtto leave the country.
* fyi it went to 700 in Feb 2007 when it was included in ur ticket price

I am all for it IF it goes into t fund for Non Thais to assist them if they require medical assistance.

BUT, knowing thailand it wont be ( there saying ONLY 35 baht goes to insurance LOL)
The 300 Baht Fee which has now been approved by the National Tourism Policy Committee will also include a laughable 35 Baht insurance premium (US$1) to provide health coverage for the visitor.
https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/01/15/tha ... l-visitor/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

41 countries around the world that charge a tourist tax

https://www.insider.com/countries-that- ... tax-2019-2
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Let's call this for what it is, just another way of Thailand passing tourist revenue shortfall on to foreign customers for absolutely no benefit to those customers whatsoever. I think one of the main challenges Thailand is going to face when tourists are allowed to travel again is to stop widespread price gouging of tourists. If it happens and cases gets significant international media coverage I think it good deal a further blow to the long term perception of Thailand and its tourism industry.

The fact the Ministry of Tourism is taking the lead sends out exactly the wrong message from the very top - let's just fleece foreigners some more, they can afford it.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Last I knew the departure tax was 1000 baht included in the ticket. Maybe more now. It seems crazy to also have an arrival tax because now they have to have two separate systems set up to collect two different taxes. Why do they not just increase the departure tax?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

samrong01 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:25 am Last I knew the departure tax was 1000 baht included in the ticket. Maybe more now. It seems crazy to also have an arrival tax because now they have to have two separate systems set up to collect two different taxes. Why do they not just increase the departure tax?
Never was
went to 800 in 2013 but always after 2007 was in ur ticket
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 am
samrong01 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:25 am Last I knew the departure tax was 1000 baht included in the ticket. Maybe more now. It seems crazy to also have an arrival tax because now they have to have two separate systems set up to collect two different taxes. Why do they not just increase the departure tax?
Never was
went to 800 in 2013 but always after 2007 was in ur ticket
It was a long time ago but I definitely remember stuffing 1000 baht notes into the machines they used to have at the airport in the 1990s. I thought it was included in the ticket later that decade that but maybe my memory is hazy. Most of my recent trips ( i.e. over 2 years ago) were by land.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

in the 90's
it was only 500
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic