new fee for visiting thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: new fee for visiting thailand

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:28 am in the 90's
it was only 500
...and only apllied if leaving by air. No such fee if you left by land border crossing (sometimes asking 10 Baht for overtime crossing, 555). Knowing the thais this will be one possible new fee in the near future..land departure tax is coming. My bet. Another few billion Baht for the generals to finance new toys.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Soriya wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:16 am
truffledog wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:24 am Falang welcome..you pay me 300 baht please..you pay now. Mai pen rai...

@ 40 million tourists its 40M USD per year or 1.2 Billion Baht

Another example of Thaiconomics..less tourists coming ? Get more milk from the ones who still come.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business ... l_referral
When i first started going to thailand you had to pay 500 bahtto leave the country.
Called airport tax. if you flew domestic you paid 30 THB if I recall well.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

If you can't afford to spend 300 baht, maybe you shouldn't travel.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:36 pm If you can't afford to spend 300 baht, maybe you shouldn't travel.
The new fee is just an add-on to many already existing "farang only" taxes and as other members already mentioned it has zero benefits for us, its just the thai taxmen putting their hands into our pockets with a smile (and the teeth behind). At the end all those fees do add up, piss us of and influence our future travel decisions. Thailand needs to ATTRACT tourists and surely this new measure is not a step in the right direction to lure us back. Call it a negative promotion?

If you want the tourists back you should waive visa fees (as happened before), create promotions with benefit and do everything you can to be more attractive than your competitors who fihgt for the same tourist dolla. This measure shows that the decision makers have no clue about tourism.

quick math:

Loosing just 20K tourists a year (thats just 0,05% of the long term target of 40M) X 5000 Baht average expense per day X 14 days of average stay = 1.4 B lost in tourism revenue

Where is the logic in such an arrival tax? Plain stupid.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I imagine tne average tourist won't mind. Percentages be damned.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

Have you seen what the air departure taxes are in the UK?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic