Don’t retire to Southeast Asia if….

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Don’t retire to Southeast Asia if….

Post by Yerg »

So the thread title should be... "don't move to SEA if Bulgaria is an alternative"?
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

So the thread title should be... "don't move to SEA if Bulgaria is an alternative"?

That depends where you live. If you're British than Bulgaria is not an option because like the Brits favorite Portugal, Spain it's part of the EU and you are no longer part of the club. If only your Politicians told you the truth ! Europe loves the Brits because they are sooo different. Perhaps parts of you will come back now that the Scots hoping for the May election. That may turn things around for some and perhaps Northern Island will follow suit.
Until than the best option is still CAMBODIA. Almost no Covid 19 and a personal freedom that is unheard of in most parts of the world (even the western world where profiling is the new national sports for most Governments)
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

emm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pmVery sad when i look at the young Iranian Restaurant Owner in Kampot who himself is a perfect example of a World Citizen.
I know that this post is more than ½year old, but can you give some information about this Iranian Restaurant? I tried to send you a PM, but for whatever reason this function is not available for your account (or I'm too dumb to see it).
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ressl wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:34 pm
emm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pmVery sad when i look at the young Iranian Restaurant Owner in Kampot who himself is a perfect example of a World Citizen.
I know that this post is more than ½year old, but can you give some information about this Iranian Restaurant? I tried to send you a PM, but for whatever reason this function is not available for your account (or I'm too dumb to see it).
Aroma Restaurant.

Good food, can't knock it
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

emm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm So the thread title should be... "don't move to SEA if Bulgaria is an alternative"?

That depends where you live. If you're British than Bulgaria is not an option because like the Brits favorite Portugal, Spain it's part of the EU and you are no longer part of the club. If only your Politicians told you the truth ! Europe loves the Brits because they are sooo different. Perhaps parts of you will come back now that the Scots hoping for the May election. That may turn things around for some and perhaps Northern Island will follow suit.
Until than the best option is still CAMBODIA. Almost no Covid 19 and a personal freedom that is unheard of in most parts of the world (even the western world where profiling is the new national sports for most Governments)
Brits can still live in any EU country it isn't as easy as before. Apply for residency no need to leave.

And it’s Northern Ireland not island, unless you’re referring to the geography, then it’ll be “in the north of the island of Ireland” or some such.
No Scotland won’t ever leave (great prediction) and 100% NI won’t either. Not going to happen.

I think the Iranian guy is Aroma restaurant. Best place in Kampot by far.
People of the world, spice up your life.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

emm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pmVery sad ...
I know that this post is more than ½year old... I tried to send you a PM, but for whatever reason this function is not available for your account (or I'm too dumb to see it).
Sorry Ressi, Emm went mad so we took him 'round the back and quietly shot him.
Happnin' a lot lately. You got to expect it i suppose.
Everybody's on the edge and some slip off - so we gotta shoot them for everybody else's safety.
Sign of the times, that's all.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

emm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm Until than the best option is still CAMBODIA. Almost no Covid 19 and a personal freedom that is unheard of in most parts of the world (even the western world where profiling is the new national sports for most Governments)
It’s weird seeing that claim in the same thread where someone else posted a link to the story of how the police and the tourism department got together to ban someone from the country over an ill-judged YouTube rant about not being able to get a girlfriend.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:47 pm
emm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pmVery sad ...
I know that this post is more than ½year old... I tried to send you a PM, but for whatever reason this function is not available for your account (or I'm too dumb to see it).
Sorry Ressi, Emm went mad so we took him 'round the back and quietly shot him.
Happnin' a lot lately. You got to expect it i suppose.
Everybody's on the edge and some slip off - so we gotta shoot them for everybody else's safety.
Sign of the times, that's all.
He put up a fight, but ...
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

BeachesOfNepal wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm Bad place to be if you're an alcoholic.
probably the best place to be an alcoholic.
Be your own toy.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

WillieW wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:33 am
BeachesOfNepal wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm Bad place to be if you're an alcoholic.
probably the best place to be an alcoholic.
If you mean that all these meth-addicted women will look so beautiful that you'll forget to put a condom, you might be right.
But when your body will say "'enough", you might want to check-in in a responsible & affordable healthcare facility, and that's not around the corner.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic