Don’t retire to Southeast Asia if….

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Don’t retire to Southeast Asia if….

Post by phuketrichard »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am This is excellent advice however the item left out of the original list and mentioned by clutchcargo and cambo swa is health.

Review your medical history and ask yourself : Would I want to be chronically ill in a foreign country? Do I want to die, possibly alone, in a foreign country? If you are in good health thats great but you would be surprised how quickly this can change. Then there is the financial side of health. There is no free care here although medical care can be relatively cheap. Health insurance is pretty expensive (especially over 60) and is really only suitable for "black swan" events. If you develop a chronic condition the insurance may decline to renew your policy. Then there are people like me who are uninsurable - could you manage uninsured if you are in this category? Philosophically I believe that once you have lost your health then you are screwed and best to die quickly but others think differently.
:thumb:

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am This is excellent advice however the item left out of the original list and mentioned by clutchcargo and cambo swa is health.

Review your medical history and ask yourself : Would I want to be chronically ill in a foreign country? Do I want to die, possibly alone, in a foreign country? If you are in good health thats great but you would be surprised how quickly this can change. Then there is the financial side of health. There is no free care here although medical care can be relatively cheap. Health insurance is pretty expensive (especially over 60) and is really only suitable for "black swan" events. If you develop a chronic condition the insurance may decline to renew your policy. Then there are people like me who are uninsurable - could you manage uninsured if you are in this category? Philosophically I believe that once you have lost your health then you are screwed and best to die quickly but others think differently.
Some good points there. 1. I reduced the expense by choosing 'basic' inpatient only, highest deductible of $5k and not a worldwide zone coverage.
But even so...it is still expensive at over 60 so yeah, designed to cover a 'black swan' event 2. I didn't have to do a medical (some might) but I had to fill out a pretty extensive questionnaire about my medical history. I have a medical condition which I manage with daily medication and they contacted my doctor for latest results. They accepted in my case but depending on a different medical status they may refuse to accept at all. 3. They say I have a life time policy given I joined before the cut off of 71 (altho I note the 2021 conditions has 75) but some policies may have an earlier age cut off. 4. Yeah, in the event of a major claim they may decline your policy in the future. Then you're on your own.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

The foreign exodus since the start of the current situation has shown me there are a lot less expats living full time retired here than I previously thought. The part-time winter stay tourist is perhaps a more common demographic. Quite possibly the best of both worlds as you get older and medical treatment becomes more of a reality. I can see myself going down that route when I reach official retirement age.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

BeachesOfNepal wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm Bad place to be if you're an alcoholic.
Actually it's a great place to be an alcoholic - cheap booze, bars everywhere, nice young ladies to sit with you while you get plastered - so much better than sitting on your own knocking back the Special Brew in some dingy pub in Bolton or wherever. In fact that could be a good advert for the country - "Come to Cambodia, where you can drink yourself to death and actually enjoy it".
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

lagrange wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 am
BeachesOfNepal wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm Bad place to be if you're an alcoholic.
Actually it's a great place to be an alcoholic - cheap booze, bars everywhere, nice young ladies to sit with you while you get plastered - so much better than sitting on your own knocking back the Special Brew in some dingy pub in Bolton or wherever. In fact that could be a good advert for the country - "Come to Cambodia, where you can drink yourself to death and actually enjoy it".
Now that's an expat , like you say better than staying home
As for medical insurance I wouldn't trust them to pay out, who in the world trust travel insurance now
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
BeachesOfNepal
Tourist

Post by BeachesOfNepal »

lagrange wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 am
It's too much temptation for some guys.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Don’t see the point in choosing a particular place to retire to and being tied down to it. I am setting myself up to be able to do what I am doing now (sans slog): Go and stay wherever I want, whenever I want.
MartyConeyBarrett
Tourist
Thailand

Post by MartyConeyBarrett »

theKid wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:16 am Don’t see the point in choosing a particular place to retire to and being tied down to it. I am setting myself up to be able to do what I am doing now (sans slog): Go and stay wherever I want, whenever I want.
When people get old they want to be comfortable and secure and don't want to move around a lot.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

MartyConeyBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 am
theKid wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:16 am Don’t see the point in choosing a particular place to retire to and being tied down to it. I am setting myself up to be able to do what I am doing now (sans slog): Go and stay wherever I want, whenever I want.
When people get old they want to be comfortable and secure and don't want to move around a lot.
between retirement (sometime between 50 and 60) and “not wanting to move around a lot“ (over 70) I expect a decent phase of merriment.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

...If you have misplaced ideas about the local youth.
Just stay home, have a wank, save money, spare yourself the drama, the mugshot, the jail.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic