Don’t retire to Southeast Asia if….

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Don’t retire to Southeast Asia if….

Post by Chuck Borris »

I am here because of temples and Buddhism. :) “The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.”
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yep can see myself in bits of all that , but could you write up the lifestyle for the same people if they were non expats , it would be a depressing read to say the least
Thanks for the post
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

"cantankerous old cunt" Had a good chuckle at this one KFH :bow:
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Just don't retire. Where ever you are.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

hanno wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 pm Red River Delta, for a few days of birding
Spoonies on the list?
Mouth of the Delta, this time year. You could be one of the privileged few.

(Spoon-billed sandpiper; Calidris pymaea. The most desirable bird in the world to many. and the subject of "perhaps the most complex wildlife preservation project ever undertaken for a bird". Global pop was 200, now more like 400.
Find at Koh Kapic in 2014 made it #500 on the Cambodian bird list.)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:37 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 pm Red River Delta, for a few days of birding
Spoonies on the list?
Mouth of the Delta, this time year. You could be one of the privileged few.

(Spoon-billed sandpiper; Calidris pymaea. The most desirable bird in the world to many. and the subject of "perhaps the most complex wildlife preservation project ever undertaken for a bird". Global pop was 200, now more like 400.
Find at Koh Kapic in 2014 made it #500 on the Cambodian bird list.)
Unlikely, but there is a chance. Black-faced Spoonbill pretty certain though, and hoping for some other goodies.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm I got a rude wake up call recently as to what I thought about the cheapness of living here as an expat. I was previously availing myself of credit card included travel medical insurance by regularly returning to my home country as a perpetual tourist. Now that I've bitten bullet on expat insurance...at my age, that is a significant impost. Albeit a necessary one I think unless I want use up all my retirement savings or my family need to succumb to a gofundme..
I have to second this one. As a subtitle of KFH's "enough dough" I have seen multiple "acquaintances" here crashed and burned by not having medical insurance (and/or dough) to cover the expected medical issues inherent during retirement years of age. Or inadequate medical care available to treat a serious illness or one deemed a non-emeregency in the Western world but left to fester here. Being found decomposed by your landlord is not a good look.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Don't retire to SE Asia if you get homesick easily.
I know, this sounds so obvious, but I've met a few people who went to Asia thinking they were heroes, only to cry themselves to sleep each night after a couple months, missing family, friends, food, and conveniences.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:09 am Don't retire to SE Asia if you get homesick easily.
I know, this sounds so obvious, but I've met a few people who went to Asia thinking they were heroes, only to cry themselves to sleep each night after a couple months, missing family, friends, food, and conveniences.
Helps if you don't have a home ☺. I am German, lived in Kenya until I was 18, spent three years in Switzerland, then Luxembourg, China, Dubai, and 25 years in SE Asia. Home is where I can get a cold beer and where I can put my head on a pillow.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

This is excellent advice however the item left out of the original list and mentioned by clutchcargo and cambo swa is health.

Review your medical history and ask yourself : Would I want to be chronically ill in a foreign country? Do I want to die, possibly alone, in a foreign country? If you are in good health thats great but you would be surprised how quickly this can change. Then there is the financial side of health. There is no free care here although medical care can be relatively cheap. Health insurance is pretty expensive (especially over 60) and is really only suitable for "black swan" events. If you develop a chronic condition the insurance may decline to renew your policy. Then there are people like me who are uninsurable - could you manage uninsured if you are in this category? Philosophically I believe that once you have lost your health then you are screwed and best to die quickly but others think differently.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic