Honda Super Chaly thread (Chaly restoration/modification)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Honda Super Chaly thread (Chaly restoration/modification)

Post by AE86 »

I wasn't sure how to format this, so I created an article (here: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/blog.ph ... icle_id=17)...

and a thread here side by side. If you want to follow along with more "play by play" action, I'm trying to use instagram as well for "instant updates" on bikes/misc things I'm doing as well. https://instagram.com/akira_s28/

I am a lot more used to threads though, so I figured here would be the best area to answer questions and such. I'll update the article as the "finished piece", but here can be the conversation area I guess. If not, sorry mods. Just late night ideas and wanting to get back into writing moto pieces and such. It's one thing I really like doing when I get a moment, much more than work.

Anyway, here's the first stage. I will do my best to add misc facts and information about the bike as I go along.

If you want to follow along with more frequent updates, I'm giving social media a try on instathing. https://instagram.com/akira_s28/ I'll post regular updates until the bike is completed, both here and there.

It's a 1991 Honda Chaly (CF50, or 50cc model) fairly untouched from Japan. Plenty worn with very little life on any of it's components.

The plan is:
Modify/rebuild the original motor from 49cc to 108cc. (200% horsepower increase, 300% torque increase).
"Frame up" restoration.
Little bits of jazz added along the way such as instrumentation, suspension upgrades, HID/LED conversion, etc.

Engine out. Misc facts, these 50cc motors produce roughly 5 horsepower at 10,000 rpm. Also, at a 30 kph cruise, with appropriate gearing they are capable of over 250 mpg.

"Proof" that the original engine is a 50.

I always think the exhaust valves on these are adorably small.

Not too much blowby, but more power is needed.

After the crackdown, I figured it best that all of the wear parts are going to be replaced. Sorry for few teardown pictures, I promise the rebuild will be more inclusive.

A sign of things to come.

A set of "proper" tubes from a Honda Wave. Adapters and headstock chopped and welded to accommodate the "new" shocks. Bike will sit 3 cm higher because of this.

8 coats of paint plus rubberized undercoat for inner frame areas. 10 coats of clearcoat followed... (pictured before clearcoat)

I brought a clutch plate set from Japan because I knew I'd make use of it here. 2,000 yen. :smile:

Next on the list is the crank rebuild and motor assembly.

-AE86/AK87
-insert signature here
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Honda Super Chaly thread (Chaly restoration/modification

Post by General Mackevili »

AE86 wrote:I wasn't sure how to format this, so I created an article (here: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/blog.ph ... icle_id=17)...
Awesome! !

Honestly, I don't even know how you did that.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Great thread AE
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

So your replacing all the bearings, honing the cylinder, new valves, new rings, guides, etc? Instead of rebuilding, you might want to try some of the companies on Aliexpress as you can probably get a complete engine/trans setup that will fit and maybe bigger cc's. If its under 70lb they may kick in EMS shipping in the price. (I always ship EMS)

I've got a guy/company in Bangkok that gets me all my OEM Honda Phantom parts as I'm completely rebuilding my Phantom, boring to 201cc, milling/porting/polishing the head etc, duel exhaust, tweeked carb. K&N air filter. If you can't get the stock parts in Cambo, he might be able to help you. He takes paypal and EmS's to Cambo.

If you show me a picture of the carb and make/model number , I may be able to walk you through a couple little tricks to get a little more out of the engine.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^I'm doing very little machine work on this beast to be honest. I don't have a hone/reamer/bore machine and haven't had good luck with machinsts here. Even if so though, when converting a 50 short stroke motor to a 100/110 (52mm bore), most of the motor has to be replaced or modified and none of the original parts can be used again. I have since bought/brought a new cylinder, piston, cylinder head, uprated springs, CDI (lower redline of 9k), crankshaft/conrod unit, etc. so no real machining required except for minor things like enlarging the oil pump feed, boring the cases, etc.

I would have done my "usual" YX motor conversion for many reasons (4 speed gearbox, more power, cheaper, etc), but for this build I wanted to try retaining the stock "50" motor for two reasons. 1. Originality, meaning I could still use the "narrow case" motor to retain the Chaly's original appearance without visual clue to the motor underneath, and 2. I wanted to retain the original number on the import docs/registration for "resale/value" purposes. My nephew already wants it.

Re: Thailand parts, how much does shipping usually cost you? I use DHL from Japan but it's damn expensive every time I need something, so I usually wait until I have a big order or I go to Japan in person.

Also, the Phantom I believe takes the same cylinder stud pattern as the CRF230, so a "simple" stroker crank and big bore kit could have you at a nice 261cc motor if I remember correctly. :D Actually though in a Phantom I wouldn't go more than stock power. I was surprised at how easily I could break the rear end loose on dusty roads here when I rode one.

Re: carburetor

The carburetor is a Keihin 17mm but I'm rebuilding it and giving it away to my brother in law (who has a C50). I'll be replacing it with a basic 22 carb for "drivability", no real tricks necessary I reckon. If I wanted more I could get more out of it, but I reckon a simple 9 or 10 bhp in a Chaly and appropriate gearing should be plenty fun for a little runabout.

Many next time I come to Cambodia for a little stay I'll do something a little more :D

Cheers
AK

General Mackevili wrote:
AE86 wrote:I wasn't sure how to format this, so I created an article (here: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/blog.ph ... icle_id=17)...
Awesome! !

Honestly, I don't even know how you did that.

OD has me as an author because I told him he could use all my 440 posts regarding bikes and such for CEO. I just haven't got around to writing anything else until now though. :D
-insert signature here
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I looked at one in a m/bike shop where they had about a dozen that looked like '' near new,'' imported from Japan. The price Quoted was $650.

What would your one be worth after all the overhaul and modifications.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^I'm letting my nephew have it for $500 when I'm done, but of course, value is in the eye of the beholder. Anything modified here or something that doesn't use original Honda parts from the Japanese factory (even if the parts are improvements or better than OEM) fetches a lower resale price here for the most part. I doubt I'd be able to sell it to any Khmer for more than $650, even if I waited for the "right" person to come along.

Today's update:

Got the crank pin, conrod and crank bearings pressed in. I brought the wrong conrod so had to settle for a Taiwanese market version. Still plenty good as I used them often on my old delivery bikes without issue.

Shock tubes sanded, painted, clearcoated

PIle of goodies :D (HID light housing, OEM cam chain, OEM wheel bearings, 50mm cylinder (only going to end up roughly a 100cc because I mismatched the conrod and cylinder combo on accident), rev counter, etc.

Milled cases

Gearbox reshimmed accordingly. Kept the original 3 speed box because this particular Chaly has a needle bearing case and I couldn't locate a 4 speed cluster for it.

Rebuilt clutch case with new weights, springs, discs, bearing and "centrifugal" clutch.

That's all for this morning.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:Great thread AE
Agreed - more please.

AE, are you in PP? I'm looking for someone with your level of expertise that might give me some advice on the tuktuks over a few beers...
Sailorman wrote:So your replacing all the bearings, honing the cylinder, new valves, new rings, guides, etc?
How's your Phantom rebuild going, Sailorman?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

StroppyChops wrote: AE, are you in PP? I'm looking for someone with your level of expertise that might give me some advice on the tuktuks over a few beers...
I'm in PP at the moment, planning on being here another week or so. Any questions in the meantime feel free to PM me as I try and iron out my schedule of chaos here.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote:
StroppyChops wrote: AE, are you in PP? I'm looking for someone with your level of expertise that might give me some advice on the tuktuks over a few beers...
I'm in PP at the moment, planning on being here another week or so. Any questions in the meantime feel free to PM me as I try and iron out my schedule of chaos here.
Thanks for that.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic