Honda Super Chaly thread (Chaly restoration/modification)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Honda Super Chaly thread (Chaly restoration/modification

Post by Sailorman »

20/20 hindsight. Things you kick yourself for not doing. In about 1972, I had the chance to buy an almost new Norton Dunstall. Had the money in my pocket, but figured I'd kill myself on it, but what a way to go. "It took two days to get the smile off his face when we planted what was left of him."

Favorite Bike? Loved the Brit bikes (but not the oil leaks.) Loving thumpers, I've got to say the 1978/79 Yamaha XT500 or for the street a Yamaha SR500, with clipon bars and shorty fairing. Thumper Matchless's/AJS in the day were a kick.

If I ever get the urge to ride a lot in Cambo, I'd import a Triumph America in silver/blue. Sweet bike.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I used to "borrow" my brother's 650 Bonny Triumph to drive to school when I was 13 yrs old.

To show off of course. Never got caught. It was a pig to start. Those were the days.
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

I still have BSA C15 single back in the UK...XT 500 was one of my rides in the eighties ...my first proper road bike was GPZ900R 1987.....what a machine started the new generation of sports bikes...

but my question is : are you going to put nitrous on it?....i would love to see that...

ps ...Milord when you say borrow , do you mean take....I used to borrow my brothers GPz550 when he was asleep...used take down the west end of London...never really got it out of second...
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

the Royal "borrow", without knowledge nor permission. I don't know why the school never caught on, walking around with a helmet.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

You can buy the little one shot N2O injection kits for bikes, using the whipcream whipits. I'm going from a 196cc Phantom to a 250cc phantom with hot cam and 11-1 compression. N2O would probably blow the head off.

The Chaly with a one shotter N2O might be a kick.
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

Sailorman wrote:You can buy the little one shot N2O injection kits for bikes, using the whipcream whipits. I'm going from a 196cc Phantom to a 250cc phantom with hot cam and 11-1 compression. N2O would probably blow the head off.

The Chaly with a one shotter N2O might be a kick.

+1
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Haha, not going the N20 route. I actually hate nitrous because of it's "disposable" nature. I'm much more of a forced induction guy if it ever comes to that, but before that I usually just like to build the motor "all natural". Fuel injection, high compression, variable valve timing, variable intakes, 5 valve cylinder head...that's more of my style and what I'd like to try before I go for forced induction.

But anyway, here's the update. Sorry it's taken a while, I've been busy.

Took care of the birds nest but haven't been able to wire in the HID kit. There's remarkably little space under the Chaly's "boot".

Exhaust, oiled up, misc bits and pieces installed and...

It runs and is alive. Not finished, but the motor and such feels great and it's very enjoyable to have a little extra grunt. It's by no means fast, but it's entertaining to say the least.

I think the "90" motor is a lot better suited to the Chaly than the 110 was. I like the little case look much more than the big case (width of the motor), the power is more "reasonable", meaning you don't skid the back tire every time you downshift, and surprisingly the bike has a nice feel around town. Now that I have a tach, I can tell that I can stay under 3,000 rpms just putting around to the shops and back.

Will take more pictures later on as I button it up together and do a full on "review" on how it behaves and what I needed to make it work. It took a lot of work and wasn't a straightforward swap in the least bit though, so it's not for the faint of heart.
-insert signature here
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Keep up the good work Akira. Enjoying the pics and updates.

T.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

"Wrap up"

Here's the "end" result.

102cc motor (51mm bore x 50mm stroke)

Carburetor is a Keihin PZ19 (19mm, the 22mm was no good for fitment as the choke lever collided with the frame). The PZ19 comes in the C90 Super Cub.

**Intake is a modified C50 intake bored out to 18mm and an added spacer so the carb would sit further back so the stock air filter box could be used.
**Jetting are stock Wave 110 jets, not sure of the sizes.

Fitment was very very tight and annoying to get right. There was a lot of trimming involved, but ultimately I got what I wanted, and that was a stock "concealed" look.

Pipe is a cheap knock off but so light (1 kg) that I've grown to like it.

My deception sticker, although technically it still uses the C50 cases, so it's sort of true.

Here's how it sits now in all it's glory. (front mudguard and signal lamps still needs to be mounted)

Total estimated cost: (not including the bike)

$634

If built with a mix of Taiwanese parts and Honda Thailand parts, the build could be done for $250-325 I believe.

Breakdown:
Cylinder head Super Cub 100 head. $80 (from Japan. Taiwanese versions are around $20 give or take)
51mm barrel and piston $60 (from Japan. Here the Taiwanese versions 47mm-50mm are around $14 I think)
Keihim PZ19 carburetor (Honda Vietnamese built, $58)
Honda TRX90 oil pump (Honda OEM, $30)
C100 crankshaft set $76 (bearings were $12, conrod was $9 Taiwanese, the unit was $55)
Gearbox bearings NTN ($20 estimate, I can't remember exactly the price but it's around there)
Clutch pack $58 (Takegawa reinforced pack)
Clutch plates $20 (Honda OEM)
Clutch spring set ($10? I brought them from abroad)
DID chain set, $12 (13t front, WAY TOO SHORT)
Rear 28t sprocket $5
Wave 100 shocks (used), $20 a set.
Brake shoes ($12 I think), Honda OEM Thailand
Wheel bearings $15 (Honda OEM)
Tachometer $10 (used Chinese bike)
Paint $45, little bit left over (automotive grade and extremely heavy usage. 8 coats of color, 10 coats of clear)
Rear wheel (used, $30)
Misc bits (rubber parts, light bulbs, wire, misc nut and bolts, etc) probably $10.

Stuff bought but not installed

LED indicator lamps ($18, stock look but much brighter)
HID kit $20 (Taiwanese built, no idea of quality)
Tires $25 (tubes and tires, DURO brand Thailand)

Time spent, roughly 18 hours. However I am very used to working on Hondas to begin with, so your results may vary.

REVIEW:

What's it like?

So, for a grand total of just under $1,000 ($700 if you go slightly cheaper on parts) and 20 hours or so of work, what I have ended up with in a 60 kg bike with about 10 horsepower after jetting and ignition timing were adjusted. Honestly, that's not really much to brag about and the bike is indeed still very slow, but it does manage to keep pace with the MSXs and the freshy boys, and even managed to win it's first race against one. :D In town it's addictive as it's little size have always made it extremely easy to maneuver anywhere, but now there's finally power to be able to merge, overtake, and surprise a few kids when you wheelie it in 2nd gear. No, it can't do that under it's own power... However, in all the bike is a blast and very enjoyable to me and I am happy with it.

However, to be honest, this bike isn't really an enjoyable riding experience as its' very small wheels, very firm suspension and very "bitey" engine tend to make it feel as if it's asking me why I gave it "so much" power. With the semi automatic gearbox, the rear tire is entirely too happy to skid on decel, and on hard acceleration, the bike is very "jumpy". 260 lbs (both me and the Chaly's combined weight) makes barely double digit horsepower a lot more "scary" than you'd expect. Now I wont pretend and say this is a speed demon that can take on a turbo charged Porsche or even a turbo charged Scoopy, but whenever you ride this thing around, you can't help but feel there's a little too much engine underneath not enough bike. 100cc is slow in a Daelim, but in Chaly it feels like the motor wants to jump out and find it's way over to a real sized bike. :D

And by the way, the vibrations are frankly horrendous if you want to cruise at any reasonable speed. 30 minutes of "crusing" at 6-7k rpm and my hands and feet where numb.

Was it worth it?

Frankly? No.

The money actually wasn't the biggest issue (I've spent WAY MORE on Cubs before as my last Cub took $1,100 just to build it), but for me the reason it wasn't worth it is because it took a lot of work and "engineering" for a very one dimensional bike. I'll explain. Had I not had as much experience (meaning: wasted time and money) with Hondas, this project would not have gone nearly as "smoothly" as it did, and even though for me I think it was a bit too much work for what at the end of the day is only really a good bike for the city. The If I had to do it over again, I'd have opted for a different project altogether, or at least tried to figure a way to squeeze a 4 or 5 speed gearbox and a much taller final drive.

Should you attempt it if you want to?

That's a big NO!!

However, that doesn't mean it's hard to make a Chaly faster, but if you want to do it the way I did...don't be stupid. The only reason I built the 100cc motor out of a 50cc engine is to keep it looking stock. It's relatively easy to drop a 100cc Wave engine in, but then it sticks out in all sorts of funny ways (carburetor out the top, clutch cover out the sides, etc), and that's not my "style". I don't like easy and I don't like the heavily modified look.

If you want the whole list of things you need to do to fit a 100 plus cc top end on a C50 case...pay me. :D Jk, but essentially, at least 80% of the original 50cc motor had to be scrapped and replaced with various parts from different bikes, or believe it or not, quad bikes (haha, the oil pump is from a TRX90).

So what's the conclusion?

My conclusion is that it feels completely unnatural and ridiculous, not because it's fast (because it isn't), but because it's too damn small of a bike for even as little as 10 horsepower and that it makes a useless "speed machine" (which is the point of more power right?) since the vibrations and short gearing of the bike are enough to kill anyone's wrists after 5 minutes. However, if I had time to make a taller final drive rear sprocket and add a 4th gear, then I think we might be getting somewhere as then the bike wouldn't be so jerky and 40-50 kph+ wouldn't be so murderous on the hands. In all though, it was fun to build, and in the end I am happy to ride it around and brag to no one that I have the most powerful Chaly in Phnom Penh (that I know of...). However, the point wasn't to make anything really useful, it was to make a 100cc Chaly and have fun while doing it, and that's what ultimately happened so I am not complaining.

That's that for now, until next build...

Akira S. "AK87"
-insert signature here
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Wow, quite a project! Cool completion.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic