Classic Lucky's Quality

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Classic Lucky's Quality

Post by Doc67 »

After nearly three months of avoiding the place and going to Super Duper, despite the much more expensive fruit, I was in Lucky's yesterday getting something very boring and, while there, took a chance and bought some fruit. This is a perfect example why I stopped shopping at this dreadful excuse for a supermarket.

Pineapple #1

Rotten to the core

Pineapple #2
Looked OK from the outside and once peeled, but once sliced open,
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Classic Lucky's Quality

Post by Brody »

Yeah, I don't even go into Thai Huot anymore........I'm strictly SuperDuper.

They run that place very well. Sometimes I just stand in an aisle and pretend I'm back in the States. I'm shocked at some of the items I've found stocked there.

A few weeks ago I even found pre-made Hollandaise sauce so my lazy ass could make eggs Benedict at home. I even saw Worcestershire sauce the other day. Which I couldn't find anywhere for the longest time.

The staff are awesome as well, helpful and courteous. Especially the women who all wear nice form fitting black slacks that cup their pert little asses just so. :thumb:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Stop buying overpriced crap fruit and veggies from supermarkets, go to the local markets.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am go to the local markets.
but then you have to scrub everything with steel wool to try and get the DDT off.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Last time I tried to buy grapes from a market stall on 154, she touched the bunch and about 100 flies took off from it. I walked away.

I am a committed Super Duper fan now. The have got some salad cream back in stock too. Their herb and spice supplies are excellent, you never wait at the check out and they have an ABA QR pay machine.

As for Worcestershire sauce, Bayon is always good for that and they also have the HP sauce in the large plastic bottles which are more convenient and cheaper than those little glass bottles. They are $3.50 for the 390ml ones. Lucky charge $6.20 for the 255gm glass ones. Go figure...
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am Stop buying overpriced crap fruit and veggies from supermarkets, go to the local markets.
It's so true. And fun also. 2 nice pineapples cost like 1 dollar. Great salads. And most of all its fun
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Oumedc wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:14 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am Stop buying overpriced crap fruit and veggies from supermarkets, go to the local markets.
It's so true. And fun also. 2 nice pineapples cost like 1 dollar. Great salads. And most of all its fun
It stinks too, with meat stalls next to the fruit and veg stalls that stink and are covered in flies. Plus it's yet another place to have to go to get basics.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I like the markets, generally. I’m normally the bag man while she negotiates, though. And the little fella is along for his good looks, which helps keep negotiations cheerful.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

There is a new Lucky's Express on st 144, east of 19. It's quite big, much bigger (and better) than the mini-marts.
IMHO, Lucky's is good for meat, salmon, squid, cheese, Australian milk, chocolate, Thai frankfurters, olive oil, baked beans - and all the non-perishable stuff.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 pm IMHO, Lucky's is good for meat, salmon,
You're kidding right?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic