How long do you give Humanity ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: How long do you give Humanity ?

Post by orichá »

Listen to this from David Attenborough

You would have thought that negative changes to the environment should have been starkly obvious during the days of Attenborough's youth; but, awareness of the "greenhouse effect" as it was called during the 1980s never seemed to agitate any serious forethought -- although scientists were aware of it during the 1950s and long before...

In 1896 Svante Arrhenius calculated the effect of a doubling atmospheric carbon dioxide to be an increase in surface temperatures of 5–6 degrees Celsius.

As a matter of fact, discussion of environmental changes was suppressed. For example, in the late 80s, I remember reading about how Canadian newspaper, The Globe and Mail dropped David Suzuki's column on nature, science and the environment, which ran between 1985 and 1987, because the owners did not like his constant railing against fossil fuel industries, etc... That was A LONG TIME AGO... Today, the powers are still in denial, and those with extra cash are not keen to curtail their flamboyant lifestyles... Why is this? Because of vanity, cynicism, selfishness and arrogant denial!

...I believe that we human beings will most definitely go through a lot of serious crises during the next 100 years, and it will be a miracle if there are any wild animals left, and a miracle if billions of us don't die quickly -- as a direct result of climate-induced crisis. ...For example: imagine what will happen if India sustains tremendous heatwaves or the complete loss of its mountain glaciers, which sustain its river systems... Thousands and millions can die within weeks as such crises unfold very quickly.

And what if we experience another pandemic, like this one, which has been caused by overpopulation? Perhaps a gross culling of humanity is the only way we can survive, and the Earth can regenerate? Maybe if we "lost" 4 billion of us tomorrow, the world would "get better"? Nature can cull -- and knows how to -- perhaps especially if we continue helping her along with our non-stop depradations.

Further, we know that the oceans up to now have acted as the chief buffer for the human heat explosion.

However, as the oceans rise -- due to melting of ice caps & glaciers & thermal expansion of physical volume -- it is the heating of the water that will aggravate acidification and deoxygenation... Like the poison atmosphere over southeast Asia this season, it will shorten and eliminate the life of whole species, and already has: few pristine coral sanctuaries flourish right now -- except in the most remote corners of the planet's oceans...

Did you know, that most of the biomass of terrestrial "animalia" are arthropods... 80% of the world's species consist of insects on land, and sea crustaceans in the oceans... Little bugs like ants, spiders, and shrimp and lobster at the bottom of sea may indeed inherit the earth, lol.

A report on Biomass distribution globally...

I am so very happy that I never had any children! For those of you with kids, my heart goes out to you. But there are TOOO MAAANY people on this Earth, and I think that the world as we know it will not be here at all any longer by the time they reach their old age...

So maybe think twice about buying that next SUV... Or big bike... I want to get rid of my 250, and go for something smaller... Or just ride my bicycle all the time...
https://www.khmer24.com/en/motorcycles/ ... &location=
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

It seems like it's plenty fucked beyond helping long ago and it's already gone to shit. If 2100 and beyond isn't ashes or cataclysm I'd be shocked.
:thumb:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I will await the end of this world sipping my tea with some depressing biscuits as a final snack.
Good doomday, sirs.
:hattip:

So we have :
"Why would living be good ?"
"You're finished"
"Ridiculous"
"loose all illusion"
"It's wrecked"
"Death awaits you"
"You age badly"
'Failed before even trying"
"Nobody loves you"