HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Mother Nature Cambodia
17 December 2020 ·

ភ្នំបូកគោត្រូវបានដាក់ជាឧទ្យានជាតិមុនីវង្សបូកគោកាលពីឆ្នាំ១៩៩៣ មានទំហំប្រមាណ ១៥៤ ៤៥៨ហិកតា។ គោលបំណងនៃការដាក់តំបន់មួយនេះ ជាឧទ្យានជាតិ គឺដើម្បីការពារធនធានធម្មជាតិ និងជីវចម្រុះ ដែលមាននៅតំបន់នោះឱ្យបានគង់វង្ស។ ប៉ុន្តែថ្មីៗនេះ ជីវចម្រុះនៅលើតំបន់ភ្នំនេះ កំពុងត្រូវបានគេឈូស បំផ្លាញយ៉ាងធំធេង ក្រោមគម្រោងបង្កើតទីក្រុងបូកគោ លើផ្ទៃដី២៧ ៩៤៣ហិចតា ដែលក្នុងនោះផ្ទៃដី១៨ ៩៨៧ហិចតា ត្រូវបានសម្បទាន៩៩ឆ្នាំទៅឱ្យក្រុមហ៊ុន សុខា ដែលជារបស់ឧកញ៉ា សុខ គង់ ដោយមានភ្លើងខៀវពីរបបលោកហ៊ុន សែន។ អ្វីដែលត្រូវបានបង្ហាញក្នុងវីដេអូនេះ គ្រាន់តែជាផ្នែកដ៏តូចមួយ នៃគម្រោងដ៏មហិមានេះប៉ុណ្ណោះ។ ម៉្យាងវិញទៀត ដោយហេតុថា ប្លង់មេ ដែលចេញដោយក្រសួងដែនដី អាចនឹងធ្វើការកែប្រែរៀងរាល់៥ឆ្នាំម្តង យើងបារម្ភថា តំបន់ផ្សេងៗទៀតនឹងទទួលរងការឈូសឆាយបន្ថែមទៀតនាពេលអនាគត ហើយវាសនា នៃឧទ្យានជាតិមុនីវង្សបូកគោនេះនឹងមិនខុសពីវាសនានៃធនធានធម្មជាតិដទៃទៀត ដែលនឹងត្រូវរលាយខ្ទេចខ្ទី ជាបន្តបន្ទាប់។
Ministry of Environment
Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Cambodia
Sokimex Investment Group
សុខាអចលនទ្រព្យ Sokha Real Estate
Bokor was established as a National Park in 1993. Measuring 154,458 hectares in total, the main reason why it was designated as such was to protect its natural resources & biodiversity. Despite its official protection, large swathes of the park's once-pristine forests are now being destroyed to make way for so-called 'luxurious residential estates', currently being built by Sokha Real Estate, owned by the infamous Sok Kong. This 'development' is taking place after receiving approval from the HE regime. What is shown in this video is only a small fraction of the massive project that is scheduled to go ahead right inside the park, according to the project's master plan released by the Ministry of Land Management.
Not just that, but the fact that the master plan can be re-drawn once every five years makes us very concerned that other parts of the park will also be eventually felled. This is after all exactly what is been happening to natural resources all across our country, which continue to be destroyed at an alarming rate.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Fires accross South East Asia creates hazardous air Quality
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are some resolution issues there. It reminds me of the bombing maps of Cambodia, which came from US records but, as I remember Felgerkarb pointing out, the dot size is kind of important. Is there really a blanket of smog over that much of the country or are these isolated fires with large dots overlapping, giving the impression that most of the country is covered in smoke? Resolution. 8)
Overlapping dots.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

emm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 pm Fires accross South East Asia creates hazardous air Quality
Yes, there have been fires spreading pollution across SEA for some time, but that's not the point, is it ? You started this thread to discuss fires on Bokor National reserve land, so why not continue ? :please:
There are already other threads here about fire smoke and haze spreading into SEA.
newsworthy/what-asean-doing-tackle-the- ... 10160.html

I was hoping that there would be more information on what's happening in and around Bokor and Kampot. Thanks for the photos and updates to everyone that has posted.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

NO Offense ! But when i post the same,same every day it simply got ignored and not posted...that's why. Another reason why the Fires in SEA are relevant on the subject of Bokor Mountain because it's simply part of it. To get the BIGGER Picture should help to understand.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

emm wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 pm NO Offense ! But when i post the same,same every day it simply got ignored and not posted...that's why. Another reason why the Fires in SEA are relevant on the subject of Bokor Mountain because it's simply part of it. To get the BIGGER Picture should help to understand.
@emm No offense taken, and this is a great thread. I am personally very interested in first or even second-hand eye-witness accounts and photos of destruction and changes as they occur throughout Cambodia, because this sort of information is hard to get. And things move fast . I think CEO is a good place to post "Hey, I've seen this", "what's happening here ? "what does this mean ? " etc, on what we see in Cambodia, because often when you share information it makes more sense. Not just on the environment, but society and changes in Cambodia in general.

As for being ignored, if you go back to the beginning (of the forum), you will find that a few of us have been posting on topics about the environmental destruction of Cambodia and SEA for almost seven years now, and a lot of it is "same same", and yes, a lot of people ignore it. (Have you checked out all the threads on illegal logging ?) But we keep posting stuff anyway, and CEO News also posts a lot. The environmental news is what brought me to CEO in the first place, (and then I found that it was also quite a fun place to hang out. :banana: )

As far as your BIGGER picture goes, I don't think that what is happening on Bokor has any link to fires in Indonesia or Thailand or India, but I would like to know who is behind the burn-offs on Bokor and what they are up to, (rather than going off track to discuss global air pollution, climate change or whatever.) That's all I meant by my comment.
Best and beers. :beer3:

And btw this has been going on a while: general-chatter/killing-bokor-mountain-t27315.html
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kompot province): A bush fire broke out on the night of January 19-20, 2021, at the point beyond the road to Bokor mountain in Teuk Chhou district, Kampot province.
The firefighter police of the Kampot Police Commissioner went to the scene and used 3 fire-trucks to extinguish the blaze. Nobody was hurt.
Huy Bunleng
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Jan 20. 2021
Today no Fires on the slopes facing Andong Khmer/Tedab Village BUT..............apparently just around the corner as the previous post by CEO listed. Why did they even bother to send the fire brigade ? How about the Rangers that are responsable to protect the area or the police or Army ? As i said before the fires reached the outer walls of the now defunct and dismantled Kampot Zoo some years ago threatening local homes. The firebrigade was unable to get direct access to the fire because of road constructions. What a F..ck up !
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

NASA helps to get a direct view on fires and air pollution. More here:

Meanwhile Kampot had pretty cold nights (21-25 celsius) and very hazy days. At times you could smell the smoke which made breathing difficult.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .3,14.6,6z
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Current Fires Kampot 7.Jan-16.Jan 2021, Bokor Mountain Slopes
source NASA
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic