HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

Post by John Bingham »

So what exactly is happening here? It seems like some subsistence farmers have burned off some land so they can plant? It looks very steep. I was up on the plateau a few months ago, I hadn't been up Bokor since 2006 when it was still a very narrow road through the forest. It was a national park and quite wild at the time. Anyway the new road is great but carved the whole route up, and all those workers did a lot of destruction too. Now there are vast areas, like 200 hectare patches being carved out all over the plateau to build boreys. There are quite a few abandoned boreys there already but they are building more. It's a terrible shame how the beauty of a "national park" can just be sold off and ravaged.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:54 am So what exactly is happening here? It seems like some subsistence farmers have burned off some land so they can plant? It looks very steep. I was up on the plateau a few months ago, I hadn't been up Bokor since 2006 when it was still a very narrow road through the forest. It was a national park and quite wild at the time. Anyway the new road is great but carved the whole route up, and all those workers did a lot of destruction too. Now there are vast areas, like 200 hectare patches being carved out all over the plateau to build boreys. There are quite a few abandoned boreys there already but they are building more. It's a terrible shame how the beauty of a "national park" can just be sold off and ravaged.
Some local rumours say banana growers and others say they burn to let the nutrients go down to the large durian plantations on the base in the rains.

There are obvious burns like near Veal Pouch where there are a noted 3 resort developments but the recent spate have been nowhere near known tracks and high up the hill. Closer to the Bokor access road has the biggest concentrated fires. You are correct in that it is very steep in places so it is not land clearing for development.

The plateau is a different case in that leases have been granted for 90 years to create a 'tourist zone' and work continues with veracity. The only 'abandoned boreys' up there are where the Chinese gaming ppl were stationed. New ones are going ahead at full speed tho who the fuck would live there amazes me. I always see wildlife like monkeys, wild boar and hornbills up there but less and less since work began.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kgbagent wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:40 am The only 'abandoned boreys' up there are where the Chinese gaming ppl were stationed. New ones are going ahead at full speed tho who the fuck would live there amazes me.
Fair enough about the abandoned ones, but your second point is more of an issue. You'd have to drive a ridiculous distance just to buy a lightbulb.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Dont mean to be anal. But! The hill one can see fires on,is NOT Bokor hill. It is actually called,"Komchai Thmei". Bokor becomes visible as one heads towards the hill on route 3,towards Sihanoukville. FACT!
Just saying,for a friend.......
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:12 am
kgbagent wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:40 am The only 'abandoned boreys' up there are where the Chinese gaming ppl were stationed. New ones are going ahead at full speed tho who the fuck would live there amazes me.
Fair enough about the abandoned ones, but your second point is more of an issue. You'd have to drive a ridiculous distance just to buy a lightbulb.
Maybe the Gasoline station being built by the old gate house will have a mini mart that stocks them bulbs you need
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

Again no fires on 15.Jan 2021 !
Here is what has burned of lately. Look at the left hand side and you can see the damage done by the fires. The white area on the left hand side are thousands of Plots for Sale (no hard land titles according to a real estate agent).
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

RE: NO FIRES on 15.Jan 2021

Just kidding, they're back as usual:
ImageImage

The past few days had cold nights and very hazy day's here in Kampot.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

This Info might be usefull to understand what is going on and where regulations are in place.

To the outsider any fire is a hazard and when this concerns a national park and major Tourist attraction some questions to "WHY" arise. I am still puzzled and don't have the answer.
Cambodia's Land Concessions:

https://www.licadho-cambodia.org/land_concessions/
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Those banana plantations extend far into the national park. It's possible to ride all the way into them.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:54 am So what exactly is happening here? It seems like some subsistence farmers have burned off some land so they can plant? It looks very steep. I was up on the plateau a few months ago, I hadn't been up Bokor since 2006 when it was still a very narrow road through the forest. It was a national park and quite wild at the time. Anyway the new road is great but carved the whole route up, and all those workers did a lot of destruction too. Now there are vast areas, like 200 hectare patches being carved out all over the plateau to build boreys. There are quite a few abandoned boreys there already but they are building more. It's a terrible shame how the beauty of a "national park" can just be sold off and ravaged.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic