Actual delivery times for DHL or FedEx

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Actual delivery times for DHL or FedEx

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello everyone,

It looks like I'm going to need to have some items delivered from North America to Cambodia soon, by DHL or FedEx. But I'm concerned about the length of time it will take for the envelope to be delivered, due to Covid.

Has anyone had any recent experience with DHL or FedEx from North America, and how long it took? Were there any delays from the time that they claimed it would take? (alternatively, it could be from Europe also)

I'm trying to plan how long this will take for me to send and receive from North America. If you have any recent experiences with overnight delivery, please inform.

Thanks!
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Actual delivery times for DHL or FedEx

Post by truffledog »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:12 pm Hello everyone,

It looks like I'm going to need to have some items delivered from North America to Cambodia soon, by DHL or FedEx. But I'm concerned about the length of time it will take for the envelope to be delivered, due to Covid.

Has anyone had any recent experience with DHL or FedEx from North America, and how long it took? Were there any delays from the time that they claimed it would take? (alternatively, it could be from Europe also)

I'm trying to plan how long this will take for me to send and receive from North America. If you have any recent experiences with overnight delivery, please inform.

Thanks!
I am using DHL to send stuff (perishabe goods) around the world and I did not have too many troubles arriving next day or 48h for less serviced destinations. X-mas and around NY was a desaster due to the massive amount of parcels. But for now all has come back to normal..no problems since the year started. Envelopes are even less a problem than parcels. Spend extra $ for express if important. In case the airplane should be full they will be transported with priority and be loaded in any case.
work is for people who cant find truffles
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

OK, so basically DHL is operating according to schedule? That's good to hear.

I am asking because earlier in the year, I think it was around July, I had something sent to me. I think it was supposed to be 3-5 days delivery, but it took 3-4 weeks to arrive. It somehow got stuck in Singapore or something. But this seemed to be due to the Covid problem at that time. Not sure why it would have improved now...
antonio66
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by antonio66 »

Well I need to send two packages to the uk, one 25kgs and the 14kgs, been quoted over $1300 by DHL and over $1200 by FedEx. These two items can be shipped from the uk to Phnom Penh for less than $500, anyone know the reason for the huge discrepancy in price? I have sent a message to FedEx but have not received a reply.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

antonio66 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:25 am Well I need to send two packages to the uk, one 25kgs and the 14kgs, been quoted over $1300 by DHL and over $1200 by FedEx. These two items can be shipped from the uk to Phnom Penh for less than $500, anyone know the reason for the huge discrepancy in price? I have sent a message to FedEx but have not received a reply.
I’m guessing it’s to do with freight routes. I think the extra costs are the PP to Singapore/HK, or wherever they go, as there can’t be much do that route compared to UK to SG/HK then PP.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:15 pm OK, so basically DHL is operating according to schedule? That's good to hear.

I am asking because earlier in the year, I think it was around July, I had something sent to me. I think it was supposed to be 3-5 days delivery, but it took 3-4 weeks to arrive. It somehow got stuck in Singapore or something. But this seemed to be due to the Covid problem at that time. Not sure why it would have improved now...
It depends. I have stuff shipped to Cambodia regularly by DHL and if everything goes smooth it's a three to four day delivery time, but if customs intervene at any hub (in my case there usually are three) it becomes a different story. On average one in two shipments to me will be delayed due to custom checks, generally in Germany or Hong Kong. Typical delay is 2-3 days in that case.

I noticed the default delivery time to Cambodia has recently changed from 3 days to 14 days from my home country.
joined2help
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by joined2help »

I recommend using DHL. I ordered 2 Trezors (a crypto hardware wallet) last month and they sent it by UPS. Took ages to arrive and when it did, clearing Customs took another 2 additional days. Found out from a friend that UPS and Fedex are notorious for such delays.

DHL is the best choice. Arrives from Singapore or Bangkok in the early morning and quickly clears Customs. By 10 AM the tracking site shows it is on the way for delivery to recipient.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Similar experience with DHL, they've been excellent throughout even the COVID period, regular delivery & notifications of the exact date it will be delivered & so on.

Used Fedex to send a letter out last year which also went well and was cheaper than the others, but typically for imports I find them a bit slow & disorganised. Still beats the Post Office, but ideally go with DHL here would be my advice.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Fed Ex can hold your package up by their HQ off Norodom and near the huge National Ministry Campus and that seemed like the best way and in execution of that plan it worked quite well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bossho wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:39 pm Fed Ex can hold your package up by their HQ off Norodom and near the huge National Ministry Campus and that seemed like the best way and in execution of that plan it worked quite well.
DHL has several offices around town. I live in the province and always have stuff sent to a DHL office. Whet it's cleared with customs I get a call and can make arrangements for pickup in one of their offices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic