Big bikes’ impounded for being too noisy

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have combined 2 articles from the Khmer Times on the latest crack down.

Crackdown on motorcycle noise and hazardous driving

Daun Penh District Authority has seized sixty-five big motorcycles over the weekend in an crackdown on noise disturbance and unsafe driving practices.
The crackdown came after Deputy Minister and Minister of Interior Sar Kheng instructed all local authorities to seize motorcycles causing excessive noise and require their drivers to complete an education on safe driving and the importance of not creating public nuisance and disturbances prior to their motorcycles being released.

Mr Kheng noted that there have been cases of bikers modifying their engines specifically to increase the noise they generate.
He elaborated on the crackdown above and beyond the bikes seized for noise violations, adding that a number were also seized for hazardous driving, including speeding that endangered the safety of other drivers and pedestrians.

He said that police officers will coordinate and cooperate with the Ministry of Public Works and Transport to identify and address all motorcyclists failing to heed the rules and educate them.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802130/c ... s-driving/

Owners of big motorcycles in Cambodia are calling for the government’s reconsideration on a crackdown recently implemented as it has resulted in inconsistencies of impounding vehicles considered as making a loud noise on the streets.
A local named Van Nak, posted his experience on social media after his motorcycle was seized by a police officer. He said that his motorcycle was at home but police authorities came to his house. The post gathered more than 700 comments from social media users with different reactions on the incident.

Daun Penh district authorities revealed yesterday that it confiscated sixty-five big motorcycles over the weekend in a crackdown on noise disturbances and unsafe driving practises.

The crackdown came after Minister of Interior Sar Kheng instructed all local authorities to seize motorcycles causing excessive noise and require their drivers to complete an education course on safe driving and the importance of not creating a public nuisance and disturbances prior to their motorcycles being released.

Tommy Christensen, a member of a biker’s club in Cambodia driving a big motorcycle told Khmer Times that instead of cracking down on big motorcycles, it would be best if people are trained or educated how to drive properly. According to him, the words “big bikes (motorcycles)” should be replaced with “unlawful drivers” making sure they follow traffic laws and regulations.

“Most of the motorcycle drivers here drive like tuk-tuks or delivery boys. There are also a lot of cases of those driving while using their mobile phones that cause accidents. The government is projecting Cambodia as a tourist attraction, however, the unlawful style of driving by the people is not projecting as an attraction to tourists,” said Christensen.

Motorcycle groups in Cambodia are urging their members to lay low as of the moment while the government is hitting hard on them as some of the owners of big motorcycles were allegedly investigated by village and commune’s authorities while parked at home.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802261/b ... too-noisy/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Big bikes’ impounded for being too noisy

Post by Doc67 »

Good. There is some twat that come to my street to get drunk with mate. He leaves at about 11-12pm and wakes the whole bloody street up.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Go Cambodia! Nip the problem in the bud.

Rant / Motorcycle noise is ear-splittingly out of control in Thailand. Stand anywhere along Sukhumvit day or night in Bangkok and you would swear you're trackside at an F1 race. I've been trackside during F1, Le Man sports cars, US stock car and Moto GP races, wearing special ear defenders. It feels like the air is being ripped apart. And these dickheads blip the throttles without any consideration for hospital zones, parking lots and neighbours during late night arrivals. Muffler modifications should be banned. The only way to stop it is to seize the bikes and crush them. / Rant over
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Not really new news.
Every few years this comes up and they have a go at addressing it

A year or so ago a police man in KP Speu got in trouble for making a youth lie on the ground next to the exhaust while he revved the moto. I think he got his point across.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 am Not really new news.
Every few years this comes up and they have a go at addressing it

A year or so ago a police man in KP Speu got in trouble for making a youth lie on the ground next to the exhaust while he revved the moto. I think he got his point across.
Yes, the later was considered education.
It's very obvious that there's a small percentage of big bikes around compared to the amount of 125cc and below. The big bike will also be louder, naturally than the smaller bike in normal situations, until the small bike rider's buy one of the many Chinese made aftermarket exhaust systems and mainly leaving out the baffle.
I have seen no written legislation of what db levels are regularly accepted has standard noise levels in the country.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bike make loud noise

Bike goes FAST everyone sees/hears me

I happy
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Both my Dirt bike and Harley are very loud, I am not against what they are doing but I don’t see how they can impound a bike that’s parked at home and not used.
Headed home to disconnect the batteries so they cannot force me to start either.
Even if they issue and official DB rating, its still only comes down to a roadside judgment as the street cops don’t have the equipment to test noise levels.

Loud pipes are the best horn you can buy, hit that throttle and ppl know your coming through.
Looks like ill be in a PassApp for the next month.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

BigDee wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:20 pm Both my Dirt bike and Harley are very loud, I am not against what they are doing but I don’t see how they can impound a bike that’s parked at home and not used.
Headed home to disconnect the batteries so they cannot force me to start either.
Even if they issue and official DB rating, its still only comes down to a roadside judgment as the street cops don’t have the equipment to test noise levels.

Loud pipes are the best horn you can buy, hit that throttle and ppl know your coming through.
Looks like ill be in a PassApp for the next month.
Well don't worry too much the police apparently was taking them from people's homes, and then this happened
In the voicemail sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Police, Lt. Gen. Thet stated, “This suspension is waiting to receive a new order from General Dr. Neth Savoeun, the National Police Commissioner General, to avoid prejudice against the people because some of the motorcycles are not modified, they are the original (exhausts) from the factory.”
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

BigDee wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:20 pm Loud pipes are the best horn you can buy, hit that throttle and ppl know your coming through.
Also a Harley rider & have to disagree; the stock baffles make the bike bearable at normal road traffic situations & "loud pipes saves lives" is nonsense; a modern day car is so soundproofed & with great music sound systems I wouldn't even know you were there no matter how much you revved your Screaming Eagles at me - the wife wouldn't even get distracted from her social media scrolling before checking a mirror (for her hair of course). Horn is a different pitch and sending sound in the right direction for starters - if you're making noise at something behind you, it's already not your problem.

Louder yes, maybe it'll give you a tiniest chance of being heard - baffles removed, straight through/modified to be extra loud - not needed, better bike skills are. ar drivers are all complete morons, just ride with that in mind & you should never be in a situation where you even need a horn.

The only other comment I'd add is from some decent biking channels such as MCRider, FortNine, etc. there are numerous comments from "big rig" drivers saying that Harley-esque cruisers CAN be heard & that it might help, but for sports bikes it's such a high pitched whine even they can't hear you. :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I had an old Suzuki in PP years and years ago that Vay put a can onto for me

That fucker was LOUD; like set off car alarms loud.

I used lend it to buddies to go dirt riding with and I never had to look behind for them as I could always hear that Suzuki screaming away somewhere behind me, even over my other bike and through the helmet!

My big bike now is noise compliant, unless at top of its Rev range
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic