Chinese construction in Cambodia’s ‘next tourism hotspot’, Kampot, has residents and NGOs worried

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Chinese construction in Cambodia’s ‘next tourism hotspot’, Kampot, has residents and NGOs worried

Post by newkidontheblock »

Livable land in China 33% of the country. Arable (food producing) land 33% of the country. Food or people. 1 Billion plus population. Where to live?

Land available for living in Cambodia = almost 100%.

Kampot is next.

Chinese in the People’s Republic of China love living in high density housing in big cities. The big Chinese cities will relocate to the cities and towns in Cambodia. 2-10 million per city. The villages should be spared and be ghettoes for the ordinary Khmer.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese construction in Cambodia’s ‘next tourism hotspot’, Kampot, has residents and NGOs worried

Post by John Bingham »

I think it's on the site of the old mental hospital. Years after it closed a nude mental guy still stayed there, he used to walk up to people and make them so embarrassed that they would pay him to go away.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:29 am Livable land in China 33% of the country. Arable (food producing) land 33% of the country. Food or people. 1 Billion plus population. Where to live?

Land available for living in Cambodia = almost 100%.

Kampot is next.

Chinese in the People’s Republic of China love living in high density housing in big cities. The big Chinese cities will relocate to the cities and towns in Cambodia. 2-10 million per city. The villages should be spared and be ghettoes for the ordinary Khmer.
For God's sake will you stop posting these doom and gloom forecasts? It's getting very tedious, and as an ethnic Chinese I wonder what you are trying to achieve?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Bingham, I am NOT an ethnic chinese, but an ethnic human being. I am above you!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

truffledog wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 pm a new playgound for basta?
'Morning Truff.
Look, believe me, as a person who has a great love of nature, all my life i have held contempt for those who see only profit in real estate.
Environmentalists, small-town locals and those that earn a living from working the natural systems (farmers, fishers etc) have very valid reasons for concern when a rush of new real estate agents suddenly pops up in their town. Chances are that outsiders with bigger pockets will come the winners.
Traditionally, we generally regard real estate agents as if they are carrying the pox.

But here, in this situation, that attitude needs some re-examination.
I would be over the moon if Basta was super- successful in selling a thousand coastal tittles to westerners.
Do we want to just give up, and have only Chinese grab all the land?

OK, many people would not use a western real estate agent here, maybe thinking that dealing with a Cambodian fixer will be a better experience (??). Or preferably, that they can deal with the vendor directly.
But that market (us expats) is piss-ant stuff. If we want a strong western (and ASEAN) presence on the coast again it is going to need professional, traditional, agents both big and small to market it.
Reality #101.

Basta is doing that. At the very least he is showcasing what is available if westerners ever decide to re-invest and re-settle on the coast as before.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

This is called "Progress" in the making and most Khmer actually love it because it makes cash coming in. While they usually don't like the "new super self confident attitude" of many chinese turning up here Khmer are quite happy to sell, lease or rent land and house like they did in Snookyville. Many white people here still believe they are important because "they have the money" and Cambodia is profiting from them. In my opinion they are still dreaming they live back in 1979. Westerners with their often equally disturbing attitude of being so superior are usually not very welcome by most Khmer either. The Snookyvill trash washed up in Kampot and now the filth is everywhere. So fuck them and welcome the Chinese, people with a CULTURE that is more than 5000 years old. Some westerners got it right already 35 years ago: . ENJOY Monthy Python "I like Chinese" in which they actually also sing chinese at the end of the song.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 am
truffledog wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 pm a new playgound for basta?
'Morning Truff.
Look, believe me, as a person who has a great love of nature, all my life i have held contempt for those who see only profit in real estate.
Environmentalists, small-town locals and those that earn a living from working the natural systems (farmers, fishers etc) have very valid reasons for concern when a rush of new real estate agents suddenly pops up in their town. Chances are that outsiders with bigger pockets will come the winners.
Traditionally, we generally regard real estate agents as if they are carrying the pox.

But here, in this situation, that attitude needs some re-examination.
I would be over the moon if Basta was super- successful in selling a thousand coastal tittles to westerners.
Do we want to just give up, and have only Chinese grab all the land?

OK, many people would not use a western real estate agent here, maybe thinking that dealing with a Cambodian fixer will be a better experience (??). Or preferably, that they can deal with the vendor directly.
But that market (us expats) is piss-ant stuff. If we want a strong western (and ASEAN) presence on the coast again it is going to need professional, traditional, agents both big and small to market it.
Reality #101.

Basta is doing that. At the very least he is showcasing what is available if westerners ever decide to re-invest and re-settle on the coast as before.
Good intentions SternAAlbifrons, and there are the thoughtful and good natured people around like yourself with only good intentions, you may strongly disagree with me, but I would say the chance is now years past its time, the deciding power above I would safely say would not let it happen, because it will certainly be plenty to lose for the kingdoms elitism. The westerners are and will be always that of a minority and only a guest in this country, I question this too, for how long will we still be welcome if the predictions are correct and not just speculation, the investors increase their game plan and the hoards of the Chinese overcrowded pour into the country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Wow 42 stories but the local fire brigade ladders can only reach the first floor!
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

when they make every city look the same how do they expect anything to become the ‘next tourism hotspot’... they need to slow down and let things naturally grow, of course more importantly they to fix the fuck up that is Sihanoukville.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

crob wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:35 am when they make every city look the same how do they expect anything to become the ‘next tourism hotspot’... they need to slow down and let things naturally grow, of course more importantly they to fix the fuck up that is Sihanoukville.
a little bit late to "fix" Sih.....

better to pray for an earthquake

I have been a tourist all my life, This is NOT what i travel to see
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic